Latest Driver from Nvidia

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strange, i tried the 258.96 official after the beta and i had the same flashing problem so i went back to my old drivers.

jcmil, i also used driver sweeper and nhancer and i cleaned my system with cc cleaner also before installing the new drivers.

It would be interesting if you could tell us what kind of profile you are using.

I tweaked a lot with nhancer and i never had the chance to get rid of the flashing effect.

I will try to reinstall the new drivers and see if i can solve the problem like you did.

I have a dual core, with win xp and a gtx 275 card.

With nhancer you can save a profile and maybe it could be useful if you could share yours.

well, i've just install the new n'vidia and still flashing at night. When shooting with a Warrior on a building, the light is flashing on all the buildings around.:(

i tweaked the AA and Aniso filtering and used different settings, no way to get rid of the problem.

So, jcmil, i don't think that this could be only AA and Aniso.

Could you please give more details on your system and also what you change with nhancer so that i can try to see if i can also find a solution to the problem.

I am now quite mystified.... I went to check the nHancer settings but couldn't open the main dialog, tho the service was still running, presumably along with the settings I had cooked up way back when.

I decided to reinstall & eventually, as I then discovered the main prog won't launch at all, did a clean install with an earlier version that didn't have issues with the 258.x driver. nHancer had griped it couldn't use the profiles in the new driver but I had OK'd it as the thing still appeared to work using what I had previously set it at.

Now it won't work... & my streets are full of muzzle flashing effects which weren't there before.

As the nhancer install allows you to tweak all sorts of things I don't recall exactly what was done.

I tried this (similiar to what I recall from my original tweaking) via nvcpl but hasn't made any difference to now very obvious flashing:-

Ansio 8x

AA gamma - on

AA mode - enhance

AA- 8xQ

AA Trans - Multisampling

Texture filtering Ansio Sample Opt - on

Texture filtering negative LOD - Allow

Threaded Opt. - Auto

Triple buffering - On

VSync - use app setting.

As I did a careful install of the driver (safe mode, driver sweeper; reboot to safe mode, del the Nvidia vga driver folder; reboot & fresh install) I can only assume that something I had tweaked via nHancer had remained until I did my full uninstall & a reg sweep.

Guessing it must be a registry tweak that was critical but have no way of finding out what combo it was.

Now I'm annoyed I did that clean install! :(

BTW this is on an old 9800GT 1gb & x64 OS.

I tried a few changes with nhancer (ambient occlusion, AA, Aniso, opengl compatibility) and there is no change : lot of flashing at night with every source of light (explosions, shots).

I will tweak settings for a few days to see if i can find a solution, but there are so many options that i think it would be luck to solve the problem. If there is a way to fix it with nhancer...:(

There will be a high number of permutations......... :(

What was the last driver that didn't give this map-wide flash effect?

I'm wondering if it would be possible to compare the hidden settings in the 2 drivers & maybe find the one that has changed ...

In the event we had version numbers we might be able to convince nVidia to do something with that as start point.

Erwin, do you have "local" flashes, say the closest 10m to the gun lights up or do ALL walls and houses on the whole map lights up when the gun fires?

because the issue we have here is that when you fire a gun, EVERYTHING lights up. so a wall 500m away lights up. wich buggs the feck out of me.

Thanks Bodkin.

Having seen the whole map light up instead of just the local area it's a surprise nothing has been done about it. By anyone.

I set up the profile in nHancer about 12 months ago - pre 190.x drivers I think.

Given the fact that IIRC nVidia tweak the settings of each driver pack (there are a whole bunch of 'unused' settings in there), it should be reductively possible to compare these optimizations before & after 180.xx & then see which ones are in nHancer.

I think I could roll back my driver install to a stable 197.xx or similar & then retest with nHancer & some profiles. It is of course quite time consuming but if I can see it all interacting again maybe I will recall what I did or near enough to make a difference.

That said if I could grab a set of 180.xx from somewhere, just don't want to mess up the performance on other games ...

Have also posted on nVidias site but who knows if they will take notice........:rolleyes:

Decided to do a fresh install with 186.91 driver - CMSF back to normal.

Fooled around with nHancer & got it looking how I wanted then advanced to 258.96 & after multiple attempts haven't found the magic combination which limited the area saturation of flashes. [This did give me an excuse to play for longer than usual tho :) ]

Obviously there are a lot of combinations & it isn't going to be easy to find the magic formula.

Could also be related to something else I had had installed I guess.

Heres hoping for a patch.....

Computer number 2 (which will exceed number 1's specs), will be the first of 6 homebuilts NOT using an Nvidia card. The 460 cards look good, but not without fixed drivers. I'm switching to ATi's 5800 series.

Voting with my wallet. Goodbye nvidia....

Ken

No, it is due to nvidia's implementation of OpenGL in drivers after the 186 series. If you revert your nvidia to 186.xx or earlier, your OpenGL will work the way it's meant to. If you use any newer driver (currently up around 258, depending on your card) you will get the flashing/strobe effect at night.

Although ATI's drivers had their issues in the past, right now there's a reason ATI has outsold nvidia. Their current driver (10.8) reportedly works fine. (I'm using 10.5 with a motherboard embedded HD4290 - very basic - solution. Next month-ish I'll be stepping up to an HD5870.) I have not seen any issues with ATI's drivers on this board. Yes, there were OTHER issues, but that's not the point. The issues, grey screen due to over-aggessive underclocking by the driver with certain OS'es, has been resolved. Or so I understand it.

Enough so that I'll bet $400 on it.

Ken

I want to keep an a nvidia card because of physx. But if nvidia are going to sit on their hands then they need a push.

It seems to me that if every nvidia using CMSF player added to the thread on their forum the issue would be continuously bumped up the board. Someone ought to take notice.

How many CMSF players are out there & how many use nvidia? We could surely generate a few hundred posts even if it was just to say 'I have this problem too'

It would also help to remind them how their stock has dived with a fallen sales forecast.

Can they really afford to lose hundreds of users over this?

Can anyone tell me how many people bought CMSF?

Can that fact get us some leverage?