Is Normandy still expected before NATO?

Is Afghanistan out yet? Even in the original Russian? To tell the truth I have not really kept up with the CM:A gossip much as it is not an area that I am particularly interested in.

What surprises me is that we have not yet had any Koreans take up the challenge of reworking the game for a modern day Korean War like we have the Russian gamers. They have a very strong gaming community (hence the advertisement of Starcraft 2 on some commercial jets).

Lets say 2015 North Korea's new leader decides to prove his mettle and unleashes the pent up hordes. China could send another "voluntary" division or 2 and we could have the updates for the NATO equipment. Fun would be had by all, especially the pixaltroopen.

What surprises me is that we have not yet had any Koreans take up the challenge of reworking the game for a modern day Korean War like we have the Russian gamers. They have a very strong gaming community (hence the advertisement of Starcraft 2 on some commercial jets).

The Korean games market is amazingly insular. A few smash hits excepted, they don't play the games we do in the west. And as a wargamer, the west doesn't play our games either. :)

And a wargame with your country in it is a lot less fun if it might really come about.

Since the KPA would have effectively ceased to exist within 24 hours (after inflicting some horrific damage in their opening barrage) the Chinese intervention would be more like the Soviet invasion of Manchuria in 1945, rapidly overrunning the now directionless KPA forces and securing everything from Pyongyang north. As in 1945, nominally allied with the West but seeking to secure a zone of influence in postwar Korea and keep US forces away from the Yalu. Highly unlikely to result in WWIII in my view, though I guess you could posit a Chinese economic crash and trade war followed by the rise of a fascist Han supremacist CPC regime there....

It may be a little bit of confusion for both these titles on my side.

I do not think that the KPA would collapse in 1 day but it would probably be spent after a good week or 2 of fighting. They do have stores for 2-3 weeks of fighting and some interesting equipment. The Chinese, even now, are particularly worried about a united Korea next door and would intervene if they thought that the west would/could mount a counter attack. I think it is possible for the DMZ to be pushed north and if stabilized, would give the South Korean time to develop a portion of the North in more manageable chunks.

It seems the Chinese are more worried about a unified Korea more than a resurgent Russia or a militarized Japan. They are quite happy with the current situation. Can you imagine a stable democracy with a strong western looking economy on their doorstep? The USA would be gone but the Korean Army would more than make up for it. China would do anything to prevent that from happening including sending in its ground forces.

A CM:K could be set in 2018 and we could play with a whole new set of modern toys, including revamped Italian ground forces (DTI June 2010 issue) upgraded Chinese and American forces. It could be very interesting.

No

It's been said we can expect

Afghanistan

NATO

Normandy

Any chance of a link to that info please? It's just I remember a reply to a 'much' older post of mine I'm sure, and Battlefront were speculating then that Normandy was likely to be first because it was 'nearly ready', and that must have been some months ago now. At the time I was surprised by this. I'm quite pleased NATO is due out before Normandy - I much prefer the WWII theatre myself, but I like the continuity between modules and theatres.

I think the amount and kind of info on BF.C site is symptomatic of which game will be published first:

- we have a website, a fairly large amount of in-game pictures and a video about NATO module, which I'm expecting to be out at the end of July or at least at the beginning of August (by similarity with the British module);

- we have a website, some in-game pictures and an AAR about CM:A which could mean we are near to the publishing but I can't say exactly when;

- we have some screenshot of CM:N but no official website, neither an official title, so I am afraid we are months away from its publishing (which is not necessary negative, if this means a solid final product)

The whole things has been pretty thoroughly mishandled, IMHO.

At first Steve's optimism as to the release date, which now seems to have been an error of judgement bordering on some pleasant form of insanity.

And following that mistake a radio silence causing even more confusion and bafflement. And which, given the high expectations given earlier, is harder to swallow. Had Steve been more tight lipped from the start I wouldn't have had nearly so much problems with it.

From definitely X-mas 2009 to very early 2010 and now here we are, summer 2010, and we still don't even know it's name.

To me, the whole thing has been a "how not to communicate with the fans 101".

They should have just said "shut up, you'll get it when its done"

But Steve's optimism got the better of him, so he said some things and after a few spectacular delays he changed tack, back to the aforementioned method of keeping stumm.

Keep us informed, don't keep us informed, I'm fine with either method. It's the attempted combo, the belated discretion that's so utterly failing to satisfy.

I am disappointed in one way that the release of Normandy has obviously slipped passed the Xmas 2009 release date that I was expecting, but in another way it suggests they are adding new features or fixing bugs. Surely this is a good thing. BFC would not be idle on such a massive project.

However, although communication on any level is good, I think BFC find themselves in a very awkward position - they have produced the ultimate battlefield simulation and demand for something even better must be at the top of their agenda. As soon as they say anything it is taken as gospel. So I can also understand why they stay tight lipped about it. Look at the mess that was Campaigns after all.

I am sure BFC wants Normandy out and generating revenue as much as we want to play it. The problem is that when they do give us a status update, their guidance is based on what their planning calendar tells them and does not account for any unforeseen delays. Some people take these estimates as a promised release date, while the rest of us take it with a grain of salt. I think a reasonable expectation for CMN is the end of 2010, though I'll gladly take it before that.