British module suprise

and relatively cheap to do.

I doubt it actually, first you've got to find the voice actors who can do the right accents (even harder for the Brits and NATO as BFC is based on the wrong side of the pond :P ), then you either have to pay for studio time or buy your own recording equipment, neither of which are cheap

I doubt it actually, first you've got to find the voice actors who can do the right accents (even harder for the Brits and NATO as BFC is based on the wrong side of the pond :P ), then you either have to pay for studio time or buy your own recording equipment, neither of which are cheap

Too many negative vibes Jonny; try to stay positive. Cheap relative to major graphics leaps. Also, I'm not convinced that they would 'have to' hire actors.

The voice talents were all part of the beta team, and in my opinion did a fantastic job in the UK module.

I was responsible for sorting things out so I was in close contact with them during the process. What they did was fantastic. You can´t imagine how much time and patience it takes to record it. Each one of them recorded hundreds of sentences. We ended up with more than 2 thousand files to edit and sort.

We might have had better audio quality if we had used a professional studio, but as far as acting goes most of the recordings are excellent. I have seen (or heard) a lot of professional recordings done for other, high budget games at the time and they were not better than the ones we got. But this is an area where personal taste comes into play. Some people like borderline overacting and others something more "realistic". We got a good mix in there IMO. Some heavy shouts and some more controlled acting. Not to mention the variety in accents.

For NATO, as I mentioned before, we will use US voices for the Canadian soldiers. However there will be unique files for the Canadians. What does that mean? It means you can record your own voices and mod it into the game. It will show up in the game as Canadians and will be different from the US soldiers.

-

Are the mods primarily flavour mods? - if i like brit troops should i get the brit module, and if i like the marines get them - or is there vast imoprovements in gameplay and if so which ones offers the better game enhancement?

thanks for any help

You get all the improvements to the core game for free in the updates/patches that the modules launched with. So basically the modules add more units and scenarios/campaigns to play. Most consider the Marines a must-have since they add the most units, especially for the Red side.

Are the mods primarily flavour mods? - if i like brit troops should i get the brit module, and if i like the marines get them - or is there vast imoprovements in gameplay and if so which ones offers the better game enhancement?

thanks for any help

The different modules aren't simply US Forces with different skins pasted on them. The different forces play completely differently. You also get far higher quality scenarios and campaigns from designers that have been accumulating experience as each module progresses.

If you are looking for completely different gameplay features (such as a new Quick Battle design), though, the modules - by their definition - don't contain any. That's where Normandy comes in.

A bit harsh, isn't it? While I'm not going to be up for any awards anytime soon, I thought that some of the guys did really well.

Look down the voice talent list then compare with the beta tester list.

Ha ha, sorry sorry. No no no. After posting I thought it could come across all wrong. Not having a dig at the quality of any voice in particular- I like what is in and the small step forward from CM1 with stuff like the radio chatter.

My 'harsh' position would be at the quantity of context banter, and if I'm honest the lack of combat expletives.

We did contemplate running an alternative set of realistic squaddie chatter, but I don't think that any of us got round to it. For me, screaming profanity and obscenity into my laptop would probably have upset the neighbours.

After all, that sort of stuff probably shouldn't be in the base game 'as-bought' by people with families, or the younger types.

We did contemplate running an alternative set of realistic squaddie chatter, but I don't think that any of us got round to it. For me, screaming profanity and obscenity into my laptop would probably have upset the neighbours.

After all, that sort of stuff probably shouldn't be in the base game 'as-bought' by people with families, or the younger types.

Yeah, a mod maybe and some expletives could be hinted at.

But that's not the thrust what I posted, and that is more context chatter. In my opinion from an imersive perspective it is probably an area lagging behind the giant leaps of other aspects of CM. And although it sounds lik you guys put a lot of work into it, more context chatter may be a realtively cheaper way to boost imersion with the current engine.

...more context chatter.

I´m not sure I understand what you mean by that.

There are 24 different categories for the voices to be used. "Fire", "Casualty", "Target", are some of them.

One of them is "chatter". There are more than a dozen different sound files in that category alone. You can also record dozens more if you want to. Add them to the appropriate sound folder and you will have them in game.

--

The different modules aren't simply US Forces with different skins pasted on them. The different forces play completely differently. You also get far higher quality scenarios and campaigns from designers that have been accumulating experience as each module progresses.

If you are looking for completely different gameplay features (such as a new Quick Battle design), though, the modules - by their definition - don't contain any. That's where Normandy comes in.

Thankyou to you and MeatEtr - so which ever expansion i get comes with all the update goodies, so then it does become simply a flavour decision - im a brit but enjoy the 'mystique' for want of a better phrase of the marines - okey dokey, coin flipping time, unless anyone wants to make a case for either?

again, any help gratefully received

I´m not sure I understand what you mean by that.

There are 24 different categories for the voices to be used. "Fire", "Casualty", "Target", are some of them.

One of them is "chatter". There are more than a dozen different sound files in that category alone. You can also record dozens more if you want to. Add them to the appropriate sound folder and you will have them in game.

--

Yeah, by chatter I meant the broader range of talk. Thanks for this though, that is interesting but I couldn't see it on a quick look.

Thankyou to you and MeatEtr - so which ever expansion i get comes with all the update goodies, so then it does become simply a flavour decision - im a brit but enjoy the 'mystique' for want of a better phrase of the marines - okey dokey, coin flipping time, unless anyone wants to make a case for either?

again, any help gratefully received

Get the Bundle-it's only $10 more than one module alone.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=204&category_id=9&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

Mord has a mod for the US Army and Marines (context related) where they yell and scream when they see tanks/get wounded etc. It's pretty good. That combined with his vehicle radio chatter gives you a good ambient feel to the game.

'Get a f**king move on soldier!"

Ditto, this is what I did back when the Brits launched. Besides, it's only ten bucks more. Bottom line, if you dig CMSF then this is a pretty easy decision.

Mord has a mod for the US Army and Marines (context related) where they yell and scream when they see tanks/get wounded etc. It's pretty good. That combined with his vehicle radio chatter gives you a good ambient feel to the game.

'Get a f**king move on soldier!"

Fantastic, thanks DaveDash. I will definately give it a try at the weekend.

It occured to me that it doesn't take a lot for soldiers to talk sh*te about all kinds of stuff. And a free floating idea was maybe if sqauds sat about for X length time then the 'Chat' could reflect that :)