I'm done with this sim

Between the CTDs and lockups and the unplayable campaign and the Mission Generator generating the wrong units time after time, I've come to the conclusion this game was released unfinished and was a waste of money. I'm going back to Close Combat: Cross of Iron. It may not have the fancy graphics that TOW Kursk has, but at least the dang thing was stable and I could actually get the units I wanted for a mission. Will this game be fixed in a year? Maybe. With the ongoing problems it has, and the manufacturer more interested in coming out with new games rather than fixing what they already have, I have my doubts. Would I buy another new release for $45 from them. No way. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

Seems like every game coming out of Russia and Eastern Europe has a ton of problems in it and is being released just to make a fast buck with no real interest in satisfying the consumer.

Have you heard about Achtung Panzer! Kursk 1943? It is also a new Wargame playing on the eastern front. Here is a very active forum http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=494

But TOW Kursk 1943 is also a good Wargame. You are right it has some bugs and errors but as a customer of all TOW games I can say it will get better. On release every TOW game sucked ;)

Have you heard about Achtung Panzer! Kursk 1943? It is also a new Wargame playing on the eastern front. Here is a very active forum http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=494

But TOW Kursk 1943 is also a good Wargame. You are right it has some bugs and errors but as a customer of all TOW games I can say it will get better. On release every TOW game sucked ;)

Thanks for that suggestion! My friend has that game. I'll check it out on his comp before buying. $20 isn't a bad price, but I want to try before I buy. ;)

Just tried Achtung Panzer! Kursk 1943. Not for me. Way too complex.

However, I also tried Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin and was VERY impressed. Excellent mission editor that didn't need a college degree to figure out and graphics were quite good. Gameplay was also rock solid. No crashes or bugs at all.

I'm also gonna check out Combat Mission Afrika Korps. If it's as solid as Barbarossa, I'll be happy camper :D

I could see how people would be having problems, I have a top notch mega system and I notice some permormance issue from time to time. Fortunately none of it is unplayable for me. This game is not for the older systems.

Deputy--One quick suggestion----Try using the "Simple Editor" from the ProgramList .

Here you can choose and use exactly the units you want , the map you want and with the conditions you want. And also because you can restrict the scale of the battles you may experience less lockups and enjoy the graphical quality.

Worth a go if you havnt got rid of Kursk yet.

Deputy--One quick suggestion----Try using the "Simple Editor" from the ProgramList .

Here you can choose and use exactly the units you want , the map you want and with the conditions you want. And also because you can restrict the scale of the battles you may experience less lockups and enjoy the graphical quality.

Worth a go if you havnt got rid of Kursk yet.

I tried that. A bit too complex for me. I confess, (I prefer the K.I.S.S. stuff). The Mission Generator was okay when it worked. But 3/4 of the time when I specified armored I got infantry. I thought I had it beat by exiting the sim and then coming back, but that didn 't work either. It wasn't a "saved game" problem because I never saved anything. Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin is just so much better with no slideshows. I hope the Afrika Korps version is as good.

tdogg: My system is not exactly obsolete or underpowered. I have an nVidia 9800GT video card with 1 GIG onboard RAM, 4 GIG of system RAM, dual Intel Xeon 3.4 Gig processors, and Windows XP 64 bit. Even the most graphic-intense complex games have run fine. And my comp specs at least meet the recommended specs:

System requirements

Your PC should meet the following minimum requirements for the game to run properly:

•Operating system: Windows XP or Vista

•CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon64 X2 (2,4GHzor better)

•RAM: 2GB

•Graphics: nVidia GeForce 6600 or AMD Radeon X1900 with 256 MB RAM or better

•Sound card: DirectX 9-compatible

•DVD-ROM drive (for the disc version)

•Free harddisk space: 3.5GB

•DirectX 9.0c

Recommended system requirements:

•Desktop PC with Operating system: 64-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7

•CPU: or AMD Phenom II X550

•RAM: 4GB

•Graphics: nVidia GF 8800 or AMD Radeon HD 4850 with 512MB RAM or better

•Sound card: DirectX 9-compatible

•DVD-ROM drive (for the disc version)

•Free harddisk space: 3.5GB

•DirectX 9.0c

However, I also tried Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin and was VERY impressed. Excellent mission editor that didn't need a college degree to figure out and graphics were quite good. Gameplay was also rock solid. No crashes or bugs at all.

I'm also gonna check out Combat Mission Afrika Korps. If it's as solid as Barbarossa, I'll be happy camper :D

Hmm Achtung Panzer to complex?, if you like the Combat Mission series? i mean Combat Mission is far more complex as Achtung Panzer(alot more micromangaging).

You might also like to try Empires of Steel. One forum south.

Thanks, but I'm having a great time with the Combat Missions series. A pity they can't get Kursk to run as well. :)

I totally agree. I went on a buying spree here and got all of the ToW titles.

And they all, well, suck. I was wanting an update to the Combat Mission series, but all I got were bloated system-hogs that play like arcade games.

Kursk has lousy frame-rates and doesn't even look that great (compared to say, Napoleon Total War). And I have a monster system: 4.2Ghz Core i7 (overclocked 920), dual ATI 5870's, Intel SSD, etc.

................Kursk has lousy frame-rates and doesn't even look that great (compared to say, Napoleon Total War). And I have a monster system: 4.2Ghz Core i7 (overclocked 920), dual ATI 5870's, Intel SSD, etc.

I'm wondering if there's an optimization problem going on here with certain OS versions or hardware.

I have a way lesser system in all aspects than the specs you provided above and it does run clean for me. Pity they don't do more testing to iron that out.

Pity they don't do more testing to iron that out.

And THAT says a mouthful. Playing TOW Kursk leaves me with the impression NOBODY did beta testing. I mean the framerate thing happens immediately in the campaign during the very first turn. The campaign was a feature of this sim. Now many of us can't play it and we are told to use a mission generator or editor to create single missions. Just unacceptable.

Okay, I'm gonna stop my griping. It's off my hard drive and I am gonna have to swallow the $45 loss. I dunno if it will ever be patched right or not. I do have the CM series to play. But TOW Kursk leaves a bad taste in my mouth every time I think of it. It's just not up to Battlefront standards.

It is a shame that people are running into optimization problems.

I personally am finding this a very fun and immersive game.

Knock on wood I haven't had any PC issues yet. (I've only got past the 1st mission however)

I like all the effects in this game. The blazing tanks look great. The snapping trees with artillery fire look realistic. The landscape is great.

It will be good to discover what it is that is causing a lot of systems to buckle.

I do remember how Empire Total War would crash at a certain point in each campaign. Perhaps this game has a similar memory leak issue. I would imagine that this would be resolvable. Hopefully we will get updates on how this problem is being addressed.

• 3 weeks later...
cmbb and cmak are great old games and still the best out there

I have to agree. I have all three and they work flawlessly and the graphics are quite nice. Another patch is coming and hopefully it will address the framerate problem.

I agree with you 99.9% on the combat missions games. Everything about the way the game plays is spot on but....

the graphics are quite nice
Compared to what? My Atari 2600. Maybe.

If you are not familiar with the series check out the forum for the new combat mission game. Compare these graphics with the ole' combat mission games. http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=91606

cmbb and cmak are great old games and still the best out there

Not only are they great they are realistic. I still play them.

I played a Simple Editor tank battle with only Pz III's ( L42 gun) and a couple IIs against T70's and T34's and was shocked at the ease I had taking out the T34's.

Then I realized the PzIII (L42) ammo load was 18 APCBC PzGr39 and 40 rounds of two different APCR PzGr40 rds !! There was HE and HEAT as well.

I then went back to CMBB and the oly APCR PzGr40 I could find were 1,2 or 3 rds in Marders, Pz III (L42) and the 5 cm Pak. This is realistic and historical.

The graphics are very nice compared to CM but I agree with "Deputy" that function or game play is more important. I also like the infantry graphics and their weapons choices but find the full names for each just unnecessay and silly. You have to need to manage down to that level. A better system for controlling squads needs to be used rather than managing each soldat.