What other games are you looking forward to?

noxnoctum

Apart from CM:N of course :)?

For me, Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad, and Storm of War: Battle of Britain (the sequel to IL-2 if you didn't know)...

Civilization V will be great I'm sure too (was just announced!).

All in all, an exciting year (or two, depending on how long they take to come out!) coming up.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to snap up:

-Mount and Blade: Warband expansion. Adds multiplayer to this excellent title.

-AGEOD's Rise of Prussia to scratch the wargaming itch.

-Bad Company 2 for my "running around with a gun shooting stuff" addiction.

And then there are the various Combat Missions. I'll buy CM:N pretty much for sure, and I am not likely to miss CMSF:NATO, just for the pleasure of sending a few YPRs to their fiery deaths. Oh, how I loved the "glasbak", how I hated it. :D

CM:Afghanistan is more doubtful. In and of itself pretty interesting, but how much CM does a guy really need? If they release NATO today, Normandy mid summer, and Afghanistan in the middle, that might still be too much Combat Mission in so short a time.

Apart from CM:N of course :)?

For me, Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad, and Storm of War: Battle of Britain (the sequel to IL-2 if you didn't know)...

Civilization V will be great I'm sure too (was just announced!).

All in all, an exciting year (or two, depending on how long they take to come out!) coming up.

Good lord how long they been working on SoW, at least 5 yrs by now? First they said like only 4 playable planes then 6, then 8, and I think now it's up to 12. I think it's about time they say enough is enough and get the damn sim out.

But one has to admit that they are pretty different regarding the respective covered theatres.

Best regards,

Thomm

Not really. If I am a bit bored of playing CMSF NATO, I think it's very unlikely in the extreme that I'd end up playing CM:Afghanistan by way of taking a break. The different tactics and 'feel' of each conflict is a relatively minor thing compared to it being essentially the same game mechanics.

Doh! Your not getting the point.

It's still Combat Mission, whatever the flavour. Eating nothing but strawberry icecream may very well be excellent. But you'll get tired of it eventually and when that happens, your best bet would be to try a cheeseburger, not chocolate icecream.

BFC may be giving us a surfeit of icecream/Combat mission.

Doh! Your not getting the point. It's still Combat Mission, whatever the flavour.

It was just a question.

Along these lines, I think that the people that hated CM:SF will probably not like CM:N either. It is really waaay closer to CM:SF than to CMx1. Time will tell.

It may well be that people do not buy all three of the mentioned CMx2 games. On the other hand, the modules are really cheap, so buying NATO should be a comparatively easy decision. Afghanistan surely caters to a different audience altogether, as does CM:N, which should be a must-buy for most.

At this point, I am not sure anymore what my point is, so I shall stop. Perhaps I meant that BFC does not expect a lot of "triple sales" anyway?!

Best regards,

Thomm

Good lord how long they been working on SoW, at least 5 yrs by now? First they said like only 4 playable planes then 6, then 8, and I think now it's up to 12. I think it's about time they say enough is enough and get the damn sim out.

Yeah, hopefully they'll release a ton of expansions like for IL-2 so we can get back up to the 200+ flyables we currently have in 1946 :D

-Mount and Blade: Warband expansion. Adds multiplayer to this excellent title.

w00t! MP for M&B? thats awsome! i need to check that out!

other then that i wait for Diablo III and "the" Combat Mission title that adds TCP/IP WEGO with replay. hopefully it is in as soon as the russians are here. i planed skiping on the yanks anyways, none of my interest.

I'm looking forward to a game that does for naval combat 1900-1950 what CM has done for land combat.

Doug check out "Jutland" in case you dont know it. its the closest to a "naval CM" you can get right now i think.

however the scope is limited, its not going to be a 1900 to 1950 game. it plays in WW1 and simulates year 1916. so no boats that came after or sunk up to that year. got a fully dynamic campain, great thing.

here is the GameSquad forum part to the game->

http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?245-Distant-Guns%21-Jutland

Just finished playing Dead Space last night. Wow, this is one helluva sci-fi horror game. Best way to describe it is to blend the movies "The Thing", "Alien", and "Event Horizon" and out comes Dead Space. If you like any of these movies then you outta try this game out. "The Thing" from 1982 is one of my all time fav movies and it's great to see a game released in 2008 pay homage to it. (remember the decapitated head with spider legs?) hehe :eek:

IGN video review

dead-space-pics-20080519112100580_640w.jpg

Doug check out "Jutland" in case you dont know it. its the closest to a "naval CM" you can get right now i think.

however the scope is limited, its not going to be a 1900 to 1950 game. it plays in WW1 and simulates year 1916. so no boats that came after or sunk up to that year. got a fully dynamic campain, great thing.

here is the GameSquad forum part to the game->

http://forums.gamesquad.com/forumdisplay.php?245-Distant-Guns%21-Jutland

Be sure to check out their DRM too.

These days as a consumer it is required to put up with a lot. But some schemes do require a loud and clear "feck off" from the consumer and I do believe this is one of them.

And while I'm slagging off games, do try not to buy Napoleon Total War either. You'd know why if you'd bought Empire Total War and followed how that game has been abandoned in dismal state. Empire entered the market pretty much like CMSF did, except The Creative Assembly didn't think fixing it was a priority and had enough of what little fixing (and breaking) they did after nine months.

Most definitely am excited about Gary Grisby's War in the East. I have been following this for awhile and it is shaping up to be another classic ala War in Russia. An alpha AAR has been posted recently also.

Stardock's Elemental: War of Magic is another I am cautiously optimistic about. It is supposedly the spiritual successor to Master of Magic, but looks to be much, much more. Both games are due out later this year.

These days as a consumer it is required to put up with a lot. But some schemes do require a loud and clear "feck off" from the consumer and I do believe this is one of them.

And while I'm slagging off games, do try not to buy Napoleon Total War either. You'd know why if you'd bought Empire Total War and followed how that game has been abandoned in dismal state. Empire entered the market pretty much like CMSF did, except The Creative Assembly didn't think fixing it was a priority and had enough of what little fixing (and breaking) they did after nine months.

I know that many people have been extremely unhappy with ETW for various valid reasons, i will still however buy NTW. I enjoyed ETW and will probably also enjoy NTW.

I was not expecting fireworks from ETW and maybe thats why I have been generally happy with the title. I do not bother myself too much with the tactics employed by the developers, they bring out a product, I decide if i want to spend money on buying it. If i buy a rubbish product then that is my loss and i will know better next time.

there is one thing i keep in mind there, the size of the company. just like now with silent hunter V. to play SH5 you need permanent i-net connection while playing. with a publisher like ubisoft i dont put up with it.

but SES that are going a similar rout like BFC, publishing their own games online only, i put up with it as for them it is really working. when you sell only so and so much copies you need to make sure there isnt too much piracy. they cant ditch out tons of money to hype up their game like ubi soft for example to make up for it in sales volume.

and in the case of storm eagle studios(SES)the DRM is not as restrictive as SH5 ones. so i took it as the game is a good game and i had no problems with it up to this day.

With niche wargames it's anyway pretty different than a mainstream company's big budget simulation like Silent Hunter which is not marketed just for naval grogs but for Sunday skippers as well. With smaller and less mainstream sales the game becomes subject for fewer cracking attempts, and probably also attracts less interest from filesharers and other pirate distributors. Especially if the game comes with a thick manual. Wargames and simulations also tend to get lots of updates, and I don't think game crackers are that much interested in after market support. Or are they?

In Ubisoft's case the only bogey they're trying to tackle isn't piracy but - perhaps more importantly? - used games market. By tying the game to your Ubisoft account they can ensure that after finishing Assasin's Creed you won't take it to Gamestop or such. There's a lot of money circulating in the used games market, and the publisher gets none of it.

Anyway, I wish Norm Koger would finish this naval nonsense and move on to making Age of Rifles II. Bayonets and cavalry, that's what I want to see!!! (and not limited to Napoleonics or US Civil War.)