Considering buying...!!!

I have never been a big fan of modern day war games, but having played the latest Demo I am impressed!

The vehicle models and movements are beautiful, the lighting is well done (although shadows need a bit of work)...

Damage models for both vehicles and building and definitely walls could be alot better - but other than that the game is great fun to play.

I was so impressed I am considering buying the game + modules this weekend.

Cant wait for Normandy! :)

shadows need a bit of work

With shadows, a lot depends on the time of day and weather conditions. Most games cheat by picking the optimum conditions and not allowing the player to change them. In CM:SF, if you have "overcast" conditions or if the sun is high in the sky, shadows usually look fine.

I was so impressed I am considering buying the game + modules this weekend

The game has really improved since it first came out. You won't be disappointed. :)

With shadows, a lot depends on the time of day and weather conditions. Most games cheat by picking the optimum conditions and not allowing the player to change them. In CM:SF, if you have "overcast" conditions or if the sun is high in the sky, shadows usually look fine.

Yeah, seeing as I work with 3D and Vray a fair bit I am maybe overly picky. :D

The game has really improved since it first came out. You won't be disappointed. :)

It definitely feels similar (which is great) but also new and improved. The 1 to 1 soldier representation makes losses seem more personal now, graphics, artillery etc... are all a big stp forward....

I have to admit it, I zoom in on the soldiers and try to picture the Normandy game... The WW2 games and modules are definitely going to turn me into a hermit - again!!!!!! (thankfully my girlfriend is understanding) :rolleyes:

I was in exactly the same boat. But I tried the latest demo and it blew me away. Now I have all the modules and I am learning the ropes but I am still finding things that I love. Like realtime weather. I didn't realise it was realtime! So there I was starting a mission in the dark and by 6am it was getting light and I had most of my armour exposed in the sunlight! Doh!! Bloody brilliant though. Not that the crews thought so! ;-)

You won't be disappointed. It is easily the most complete simulation of modern tactical warfare available at this time...

..plus it is extremely addictive and fun to play.:)

If you are interested in trying it H2H, head on over to "World at War", where a lot of CMSF players hang out.

http://worldatwar.eu/index.php?esid=c3ca2b822f9906d44d040c44c6f47a12〈=3&refcode=0&location=intro

I bought the game last week and all the modules... gees... I love this game so much... first off I was always kicked really hard by the AI but now i´m learning more about tactics and gameplay and the AI gets its A** kicked too.

As far i can tell many real life US soldiers in service play this game and I would love to see some tactical advices by them because it is crucial to success...

I would love to see more modern combat in this series afer Normandy, because I personally can´t see the WW2 setting anymore...

And a real time review option would be cool to see the whole combat without pause (RT mode) later... whoa, that would be amazing! :)

Buy it! It is definately worth it!

I have never been a big fan of modern day war games, but having played the latest Demo I am impressed!

The vehicle models and movements are beautiful, the lighting is well done (although shadows need a bit of work)...

Damage models for both vehicles and building and definitely walls could be alot better - but other than that the game is great fun to play.

I was so impressed I am considering buying the game + modules this weekend.

Cant wait for Normandy! :)

Cool! I don't care for the game too much, but I am glad others like it since that means BF can get back to CM WWII games/modules.

Here are some good places to pick up the CMSF game (but if you want CMSF + Marines you won't save too much - $45.00USD here at BF or an example from other companies starting at $3USD + $25USD + shipping):

New for $3USD (that is not a typo! toss in a few more USD for shipping :D)

http://www.amazon.com/Combat-Mission-Shock-Force-Pc/dp/B000PWUZ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1254489350&sr=8-1

Gamersgate direct download of CMSF for $10USD

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-CMSF/combat-mission-shock-force

enjoy!

The modules too, are definitely worth getting. Playing the Stryker army infantry and then contrasting it with the more robust, but lighter-armed marine formations is a fascinating experience. With the light infantry (American airborne scenarios, anyone? :) ) found in the british module, you have almost the whole gamut of American ground forces.

This mentions nothing of the British forces (mortars!) and the ever-interesting experience of keeping out-gunned, scared Syrian troops in the fight. Nor does it speak of the great leap in scenario quality that accompanies the new modules.

I highly recommend them.

The 1 to 1 soldier representation makes losses seem more personal now.

Yep. It's funny how much more you worry about those little fellas than in the previous games. People say how unequal the two sides are in SF but the truth is I find that my increased awareness of my own casualties multiplies the threat of the red force by quite a bit. Playing as the Blue side might mean i have the Wrath of God himself at the other end of the radio but I still play much more cautiously than I ever did in CM1.

It's a great game. You should buy it immediately.:)

Or you can buy it from Battlefront directly and support the development of this series. I'm all about a bargain, but I'm all about supporting those that give me endless hours of fun.

better yet, if he doesn't have it already he should buy CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK! It is amazing how these three games still cost more or as much as CMSF in many places. Why is that?

Patrocles,

better yet, if he doesn't have it already he should buy CMBO, CMBB, and CMAK! It is amazing how these three games still cost more or as much as CMSF in many places. Why is that?

Simple... the bulk of the $3 bargain bin versions of CMx1 games have long since been sold or put into landfills :) A good online hunter can find CMx1 games for a couple of bucks as well (I just found CMBO for $2). Anything over a few months old tends to wind up in a bargain bin. But in this horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE, retail environment the normally terrible short lifespan has been shortened even further. It also has a lot to do with the retail publishers and/or distributors.

Price and quality don't have much in common as far as games go. Which is why we niche market gaming companies hate the retail model. And that's why Battlefront.com was formed almost 10 years ago. Just look at our Manifesto that we wrote originally back in 1998 and then updated 2008. What's happened to our products since then has been no surprise to us.

Steve

Patrocles:

Try to be nice please. I think it is very bad form to post links to places where people can buy a company's product at discounted rates on the company's own boards.

I am being nice. Steve said it was OK to make such posts for all CM games.

In fact, that reminds me, I did not know if Steve was joking or not when he made the comment about having CMSF at a very low cost in order to get people into the system. Then BF can make money off the modules (which are not sold retail, right?)?

Patrocles,

Simple... the bulk of the $3 bargain bin versions of CMx1 games have long since been sold or put into landfills :) A good online hunter can find CMx1 games for a couple of bucks as well (I just found CMBO for $2). Anything over a few months old tends to wind up in a bargain bin. But in this horrible, and I mean HORRIBLE, retail environment the normally terrible short lifespan has been shortened even further. It also has a lot to do with the retail publishers and/or distributors.

Price and quality don't have much in common as far as games go. Which is why we niche market gaming companies hate the retail model. And that's why Battlefront.com was formed almost 10 years ago. Just look at our Manifesto that we wrote originally back in 1998 and then updated 2008. What's happened to our products since then has been no surprise to us.

Steve

Ha! If you look in the CMBO forum you will see old posts where I found CMBO on sale for $1USD!

:)

Patrocles,

In fact, that reminds me, I did not know if Steve was joking or not when he made the comment about having CMSF at a very low cost in order to get people into the system.

No joke ;) There was a thread recently where quite a number of people said that they bought the bargain bin games for whatever reason (some just because they had never heard of Combat Mission at all) and then wound up purchasing Modules. Although it is never our intent, or our desire, to have our games selling for less than the cost of manufacturing, we were aware that was going to happen when we signed the retail contracts. To expect otherwise would have been very naive. We're not naive :D

Ha! If you look in the CMBO forum you will see old posts where I found CMBO on sale for $1USD!

Right, so I'm not sure why you made that statement about CM:SF being cheaper than old CMx1 games. It all depends on where you look. Which is part of the problem. The stuff that was shoveled into retail, so someone could clean out their warehouse, takes a long, long, long time to work through the system completely. But the vast bulk of it is gone within a couple of years. Either because the retailer has sold it or they've chucked it into a dumpster to make room for something with a higher margin.

The retail model sucks for developers/publishers.

Steve

Patrocles,

No joke ;) There was a thread recently where quite a number of people said that they bought the bargain bin games for whatever reason (some just because they had never heard of Combat Mission at all) and then wound up purchasing Modules. Although it is never our intent, or our desire, to have our games selling for less than the cost of manufacturing, we were aware that was going to happen when we signed the retail contracts. To expect otherwise would have been very naive. We're not naive :D

Right, so I'm not sure why you made that statement about CM:SF being cheaper than old CMx1 games. It all depends on where you look. Which is part of the problem. The stuff that was shoveled into retail, so someone could clean out their warehouse, takes a long, long, long time to work through the system completely. But the vast bulk of it is gone within a couple of years. Either because the retailer has sold it or they've chucked it into a dumpster to make room for something with a higher margin.

The retail model sucks for developers/publishers.

Steve

When I looked around I did not find CMBB and CMAK very cheap only CMBO. Do you have any linkys?

:)