More Armies and Terrains

I think that CM:SF needs more Armies and Terrains in it. It gets kinda boring seeing desert and Syrian towns all the time. I think it would be cool if the modern German Army was added and also some terrain for Germany to go with it. What does everybody else think on this.

BTW the developers have done an excellent job on this game.

I think that CM:SF needs more Armies and Terrains in it. It gets kinda boring seeing desert and Syrian towns all the time. I think it would be cool if the modern German Army was added and also some terrain for Germany to go with it. What does everybody else think on this.

BTW the developers have done an excellent job on this game.

What you are looking for will be found when CM Shock Force 2 comes out. It will be set in a temperate setting so you won't get anymore deserts or Syrians when that comes out. You won't get any new terrain when the NATO module comes out.

Well, the game is set in Syria so any expectation of terrain other then Syria is perhaps not entirely fair. There are mods around that give the game a Central/NW Europe look, though the terrain data etc remain the same.

However, you might be happy to hear then the next module will feature German and Canadian forces.

Welcome to forums by the way.

have you ever played an old game for windows 95 called Colse Combat:A Bridge too Far? ( I doubt you have, its old) In that game you command forces on the US British or German sides. You have a campaign map that has certain areas for a battle. Well you have a number of units in the campaign and you use them as best you can in the battles. If you lose a battle the enmy gains ground and you get pushed back or annihilated all together. If you kill the enemy and win they get pushed back and etc. Sometimes the amount of terrain lost or won is still on the same map.

Look it up. I think there is a newer Close Combat Battle of the Bulge that actually lets you decide where and when to attack.

But anyway the idea is whatever happens happens and you have to deal with it on a campaign and individual battle scale. Understand?

CC2, now that was a great game in it's day. I'm done playing these days but gosh wasn't that campaign fun. I'd kill to have that campaign with the CMx2 engine.

Sadly, BFC haven't shown much interest in a elaborate campaign game. They don't believe it will generate many additional sales compared to the work required. If they did make one, I might never see daylight again. :)

PS

CC4 wasn't all that great, and I believe CC5 was pretty much more of that except in Normandy. No matter how many losses you suffered or inflicted, the next time two formations would fight they would have the same line-up of units. No customizing of task forces or anything!

However, you might be happy to hear then the next module will feature German and Canadian forces.

Elmar, true but why leave out your own country? Cassio said they needed Dutch voice actors yesterday, so that confirms it. Hadn't they recruited you yet? :)

Yeah Ive got the original Close Combat and Close Combat 2 and played both. Amazingly

Close Combat 2 works on Windows XP, but Close Combat doesnt. Its also wierd that I would have these old games because Im only 14 years old.

But anyway I also would love to have the campaigns in the Combat Mission games.

We will be getting some great new forces with the NATO module (including your Germans), but it will play out in the same setting, Syria (which has its share of diversity in terrain). However, I think a few additional terrain types/objects would go very far in extending the life of the series, e.g.

Mud/stone/mudbrick homes (very thick walls that afford superb cover)

High mud/stone walls (something between the concrete monstrosity and low stone wall of the current tile set

Ditches (similar to trench tile set, but shallower and provides less cover)

Gates for walls, especially high walls, which could function like doors do in the editor (i.e. an alternate texture that is recognized as a pathway)

Thick underbrush tile in addition to the brush tile (which could be used with or without trees).

Just those, along with a better handling of steep/broken terrain so it is more visually varied would open up large swaths of the world to scenario makers (along with modded textures as needed).

I really liked CC2's tactical battles, flaws and all, but I hated the campaign system. It bored me to tears :) The number of ridiculous battles I had to fight through, only to have to fight through them again and again and again and again and again, really got on my nerves. Having a battle go from me controlling the whole map to enemy tanks popping up 100m away from my positions wasn't interesting the first time I experienced it.

But... some people really liked the CC2 system. As is being discussed in this thread there are more opinions about what makes a good campaign than can be agreed on by more than a small percentage of our customer base. It's like a few thousand people being asked what their favorite beer is and then finding out that pretty much nobody agrees. Yet at the same time, each person insisting that only their beer should be brewed because it is so perfect.

As the "brewer" we can't possibly brew dozens and dozens of different beers, so we have to choose which one will make the most amount of people happy. Personally, I'd be surprised if we could ever make more than about 40% of our customer base even moderately happy with a campaign system.

Steve

The one terrain I'm surprised they left out is larger 3D rocks and boulders. I would think Syria has that. Would be cool to actually see infantry getting behind the rocks to take cover. I look forward to see what they do with the variation in Normandy terrain and the amount of cover it provides. In some ways even though CMx2 looks better, I prefer the board game approach to terrain from CMx1 in that you always know decisively what type of terrain the unit is in and the amount of cover that terrain gives. One way that I thought about for this game that would let the player know more decisively whether an action spot offers cover or not would be to have the cursor turn to a solid shield at the end of a movement command line if moved over cover terrain. If half the squad would not be in cover the shield would show half solid. No cover, no shield of any kind appears and remains the regular cursor.

As far as the limited unit types, well it is realistic for our day. WW2 offers much more variation in units and terrain types so it should be a bit more interesting IMO.

Well I mean, Mario in a way has a better "campaign system" than CM:SF.

because if Mario "loses" his "mission" he starts it again, but in CM:SF if you lose your mission you continue to the next mission just as if you won the last mission. So you could at least do something about that. No campaign system is perfect but I think that you could make it better than what it has now and more than 40% of people could be pleased. I love the CC2 campaign sytem except for that theres only so many battle areas and they are such small battle areas. CM could do great because of the huge maps it offers. Anyway

what I would like to see in CM is some sort of map of your campaign and your progress,(doest have to be fully dynamic) a carry over of your troops from the previous battle, and something to happen when you lose a battle.

I would love to have this in the new CM:Normandy. WW2 is my favorite because of the variation, guns that can shoot through lots of stuff, basic troops that can shoot an enemy at 500yds with his rifle, and just the lushness of the battle areas.( I hate desert)

Also I have a bug in my CM:SF campaign. After a certain battle it wont continue to the next, it just crashes the game.(Dont tell me thats the end!)

(The reason you kept fighting the same battles over and over was because you kept losing and getting pushed back.)

Also back to the Armies topic, in the NATO expansion can you fight against the Germans?

That was my primary want for them anyway.

Yes, any Blue force can fight any Blue force. You can even have the Germans fight themselves. Same for Red. I think we're bound to see North Africa '43 with Abrams and Challengers and Leos.

Also I have a bug in my CM:SF campaign. After a certain battle it wont continue to the next, it just crashes the game.(Dont tell me thats the end!)

That wouldn't happen to be a night battle, would it? No, that's not the ending. Some weird version of the campaign seems to be floating around. I used to get it too. Haven't really tried to get that far in to a campaign recently to see if it got fixed for me.

You'll have to download a version of the campaign that works and start an entirely new campaign.

You'll have to download a version of the campaign that works and start an entirely new campaign.

Maybe not - if you have some saved games, you *might* be able to download a new version of the campaign, then use that to resume a save game from the previous version. I'm pretty sure this is covered in the v1.20 readme?