New Screens of Brit module!

Thanking BFC so much for the new animation, which has the not secondary task of enhancing the immersion of the game, I would like to suggest another change on the animation side: the posture of crew on vehicles. Those stuffed figures don't add so much to the immersion and a more "lively" stance would be welcomed.

any word on the M249 getting a short barrel and collapsing butt stock?

Be careful what you wish for. Shorter barrel means reduced range and terminal velocity. Knowing BFC, I assume they'd code-in differences even that tiny. The only (theroetical) in-game benefit might be the ability to carry slightly more ammo due to a slightly lighter weapon. Recently I've been experiencing mg duels between SAW and Syrian 7.62. SAW does not need to take a capabilities hit! ;)

Will this also be for US Forces?

Will I see my US guys jumping over walls and not doing the Gumby thing?

Yes, and it is awesome. :)

Just wait till CM:Normandy and we get to see Fallschirmjäger (or Rangers, if deutschy stuff ain't your thing) vaulting over picket fences and low walls! :D

Be careful what you wish for. Shorter barrel means reduced range and terminal velocity. Knowing BFC, I assume they'd code-in differences even that tiny. The only (theroetical) in-game benefit might be the ability to carry slightly more ammo due to a slightly lighter weapon. Recently I've been experiencing mg duels between SAW and Syrian 7.62. SAW does not need to take a capabilities hit! ;)

Hitting the 800m targets at the MG transition range is not all that difficult in RL. In addition to that I have yet to see anything that would lead me to believe that the platform has been degraded buy the addition of the short barrel. It's not really a weight thing, it is a maneuver thing. I just want to see the thing added to the game because that is what we use. And before anyone chimes in with "that may be what you use now but the game is set in 2008 blah blah blah realism", we were using the short barrels prior to OIF 3 (2004-2006) so I think they defiantly fit the scope of the game. I should probably shut up about this already, I have beating this dead horse for like, a year now I think. Screens look great btw.

The new animations apply to all soldiers, regardless of nationality. There are three components of a soldier:

1. "Skin" - this is what you guys see. Helmet, body armor, pockets, etc.

2. "Bones" - this is what the skin sits on top of. The majority of the bones simulate the Human skeleton, which of course is the same for all Human figures (even the knuckle draggers in the Marines :)). Other bones represent equipment and are attached to the skeleton so they move around correctly in relation to the skeleton.

3. "Animations". The animations move around the bones, which in turn move around the skin.

This means that some of the animations can change and work automatically for everything else. The "vaulting" animation is one of them. Others are hard coded to the particular bone structure of a particular type of soldier. That's actually something we recently changed within the code for CM: Normandy and beyond. The change makes equipment bones "smart" so that they can adapt to any "skeleton" bone position. Which means we can make one set of animations work for all soldiers all the time, every time.

Steve

Looks nice. I wonder if the old running animations has been changed, too. I can't nail it down, but sometimes they look a bit odd...like movement speed and animation doesn't match or something.

I think what you're referring to Scipio is that in some terrain soldiers slow down. Now, the animation DOES slow down, too, to match the speed, but the animation has been made assuming a certain specific speed, and therefore it may look a little odd at times. You know, the guy is hunched too far forward for going pretty slow, or he's raising his knees too high etc. It's subtle but the human brain is very good at picking up even tiny irregularities in motions and in other humans, which is making it difficult to do a credible simulation the further down in scale you go. If we were doing an FPS, that would be another thing and much higher up on the priority list to fix than it is now. (having said that, from what I remember - it's been some time in fact that these went in - running, walking, hunting etc. have been re-done)

The more clues you guys drop, the better this patch is sounding. It seems like a major overhaul, encompassing a lot of the minor issues which have been lurking around. Just as a small bone, Martin, can you tell us what you think is the most significant change included in v1.2?

Thanks,

Ken

The weakest point of CMSF are the animations.

From what I've seen it appears to me that there has been a big change by now.

For a game like this, the animation may seem a superfluous thing, but instead serve to make the realism of the game high.

And still remain, however, one of the best games in the world that exists.

Regards