How's this for a horrible 'feature' suggestion?

Have you ever had one of those engagements that you commanded your troops so horribly that even though you won the battle you would most likely be court-martialed in real life? If you are like me...then sure you have.

Wouldn't it be great that in the game summary page that was potential outcome? I know the new victory conditions dictate want counts as a victory but there has to still be some difference from the perfectly executed to the 'WTF DID YOU?!?!?!?' type victories.

While it may be an interesting feature, usually for most people, you know when you f%$# it up, despite the level of victory. And simply knowing is enough for most people, without the game saying where and when you should show up for your court martial. :P

The new "Beyond Iron Man" difficulty level for CM Normandy will add some new consequences for sloppy play. If the player begins a campaign and then quits before completion, he is considered WIA and his computer gets a nasty virus. If the player loses a campaign, the hard drive is wiped clean. At a catastrophic level of loss, the Germans automatically conquer Europe again.

... a Pyrrhic Victory triggered when you utterly gut your force for an insignificant objective.

It isn't called that, of course, but that is quite easy to set up in the Scen Editor - just assign lots of points to the enemy for unit destruction, and fewer points for the objectives.

Example: Blue force is worth 200 points as a unit objective for Red, while some arbitrary building is only worth 50 points as a Blue terrain objective.

You'd need to juggle the points to get exactly the effect you're after, but hopefully you get the idea. What I tend to do with Unit Objectives is count the number of units and vehicles in an entity that is going to be a UO - for example there are three (3) rifle squads, one (1) HQ, and four (4) Bradleys in a US Mech Pl, for a total of eight (8). Then assign some multiplier to get the total value for that UO. So, in the case of the US Mech Platoon, I might assign a multiplier of five (5) to get a total value for the platoon of 8 x 5 = 40points. Three platoons plus the miscellaneous bits and bobs gives a Mech Company value of about 160-180 points. Once you have the unit count it's quite easy to juggle the multiplier up or down to get the total effect you're after, or to work within a total points budget.

I always felt that in addtion to the minor, tactical and major victories, there should by a Pyrrhic Victory triggered when you utterly gut your force for an insignificant objective.

The way I accomplished this in my campaign was to assign Red player points for damaging Blue player in certain ways that were above and beyond the normal point balance. This way, Blue could accomplish all of his objectives and Red fulfill none of them, and yet Red could still "win" if they caused enough casualties in the process.

It isn't called that, of course, but that is quite easy to set up in the Scen Editor...

This way, Blue could accomplish all of his objectives and Red fulfill none of them, and yet Red could still "win" if they caused enough casualties in the process.

I know how to do it, I just wished it was directly called that to slap the player in the face. :P

Especially since I play Blue much more than Red, I find that I play much differently than I ever did in CMBB/CMAK in which I usually played as the Germans.

In CMBB/CMAK, at least in offensive scenarios, it was much more with an air of "Los, Männer! Mir nach! Vorwärts!!", and if each squad had lost an average of two to four men by the end of the attack, such losses were acceptable if the attack was successful.

Knowing that in CMSF my pixeltruppen are volunteers of an army that is not large enough to be able to afford more than bare-minimum casualties in any given battle, it pains me whenever I see a pixelsoldat go down, especially if his base icon is red, and whenever a vehicle of mine takes a vehicle-brewed-up-and-all-crew-KIA hit. Also, it helps that each soldier is represented on screen.

In my mind's eye I see myself playing an Eastern Front CMx2 scenario, in which my depleted Schützenkompanie is assaulted by two Red Army battalions in immedaite succession, both of which end up grinding to a halt within Stielhandgranate range of my Kompanie's positions, and in the eerie quiet following the combat itself (I doubt the outcries of the wounded will be simulated), the Kompaniechef gazes out over the battlefield in horror at the carnage strewn before him and his men.

Also, I like silverstar's idea about some sort of debriefing text.

Especially since I play Blue much more than Red, I find that I play much differently than I ever did in CMBB/CMAK in which I usually played as the Germans.

In CMBB/CMAK, at least in offensive scenarios, it was much more with an air of "Los, Männer! Mir nach! Vorwärts!!", and if each squad had lost an average of two to four men by the end of the attack, such losses were acceptable if the attack was successful.

Knowing that in CMSF my pixeltruppen are volunteers of an army that is not large enough to be able to afford more than bare-minimum casualties in any given battle, it pains me whenever I see a pixelsoldat go down, especially if his base icon is red, and whenever a vehicle of mine takes a vehicle-brewed-up-and-all-crew-KIA hit. Also, it helps that each soldier is represented on screen.

In my mind's eye I see myself playing an Eastern Front CMx2 scenario, in which my depleted Schützenkompanie is assaulted by two Red Army battalions in immedaite succession, both of which end up grinding to a halt within Stielhandgranate range of my Kompanie's positions, and in the eerie quiet following the combat itself (I doubt the outcries of the wounded will be simulated), the Kompaniechef gazes out over the battlefield in horror at the carnage strewn before him and his men.

Also, I like silverstar's idea about some sort of debriefing text.

Yeah, CMSF gives me a jolt every time I see a guy go down. Unless they're officers, then I don't mind so much, but if it's one of the E-4's or something..man, it always makes me feel weird.

Another idea I would like see is a Debriefing screen that not only gives you the statistics but a text blurb that is written by the scenario designer. You know, something to give a little closure to those one shot battles.

It is posible to do this by making one battle "campaigns". In other words, wrap any scenario in a campaign wrapper, and you can add debriefing text.

It is posible to do this by making one battle "campaigns". In other words, wrap any scenario in a campaign wrapper, and you can add debriefing text.

I was thinking more in line of custom text specific to how the battle played out. For example, if you win a Major Victory, the end text of the battle would hail you as a scion of war, your name would be hoisted to the far flung heights of Alexander, Hannibal, and Napoleon. Incur a Major Defeat, and the text would suggest that you are a ham-handed butcher of men, a thoughtless tyrant who should be hung, decimated, shot, burned at the stake, drawn and quartered, disemboweled, defenestrated, tarred and feathered, fragged, crucified, fed to wolves, beheaded, and buried in Detroit.