Hoped for improvements in the game engine, long term

1) Infantry formations, maybe stretchable infantry formations that let you set the frontage for the squad/platoon.

2) A CONVOY command, some way to tell vehicle A to follow vehicle B exactly at a controlled, or at least fixed spacing.

3) Attack axis for air support.

4) An exit victory condition.

5) Some sort of If-Then behavior for the AI. Troops retreating when there position starts to fell too hot is an excellent start, by the way. It has improved game feel immensely.

6) Medics, even if nothing else changes about the way the game handles wounded.

7) The ability to move a casualty before performing buddy aid.

8) An advance to hull down position command, you can get there now but it is very fiddly.

9) More control of various vehicle and squad weapon systems, especially things you don’t have much of.

10) A fire one round command, for heavier weapons. It should attachable to a way-point like current target orders. This can be approximated with pauses now, but requires massive micro management.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2) A CONVOY command, some way to tell vehicle A to follow vehicle B exactly at a controlled, or at least fixed spacing.

We've been asking for that for about 9 years:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=16492&highlight=follow+me+convoy

Oh, make that 10:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=51269&highlight=follow (I've since misplaced the picture, showing dozens of movement lines overlapping on a road).

So.... I wouldn't get my hopes up, except that they brought back the blue bar, so anything is possible.

hm, from my point of view to set up a convoy with not more than 5 vehicles isnt a problem at all, with more than 5 it takes some time and "user" expirience. to code a "convoy" command just so you can have it "easier" is a waste of time if they could code cover armor arc, exit points, "if" condition for the AI, and all that stuff wich adds functionality.

same with "find hull down" command. it was the most unnessesary command in CMX1 in my eyes, i didnt used it once. hull down positions are everywhere where it isnt totaly flat, you just have to drive there. why would anyone need a command for that!?

nevertheless some good suggestions where made here, but dont get them mixed up with the "iam to lazy, i need a button for that" stuff.

just what i think,

I never used seek for hull down command in CMx1 but sometimes when playing CMSF in realtime you dont have the luxury to get to ground level and babysit your tanks. I was palying a large armor battle online with really subtle elevations they were impossible to judge from above while maneuvering your platoons. Seek hull down would have saved a lot of accidentaly exposed tanks I guess.

i have full understanding for this, but i think that would be the time to hit pause or change to wego. i mean you dont "have to" see looking at the ground level and babysit a bit as luxury if you know what i mean. in my view thats a pleasure.

Of course its a pleasure but online right now lacks a pause function. You actually need to be quick to win. Still waiting for a pausing online mode or WeGo TCP/ip..

-More freedom with the TOE while making scenarios. If I want a platoon with extra machine guns or a sniper, then I want that platoon. I don't want to horse around with attaching units from battalion.

-More variety of map objects. Guard towers, bridges, etc. Also objects that I can use for scenario objectives: artillery pieces, downed helicopters, satellite dishes, fuel or ammo dumps, oil wells, whatever. They would greatly facilitate the telling of a story.

-Lastly, finer division of the battlefield so that we are not forced to move on big 20x20 m squares (or whatever size it is). According to what I've read on this forum however, this one doesnt seem likely.

Yeah,BF knows about the convoy request for a couple of years.Still no sign they are going to fix it.Maybe too difficult for them!

It is not too difficult, but it is too time consuming considering what is gained.

The command may seem simple to implement, but as far as I understand it is just an endless list of special cases. For example what should be done in case one of the vehicles is hit. For the same reason formations are not likely to be implemented. And I don't see them as too essential, for the blue side at least. Just split your squads.

For the same reason formations are not likely to be implemented. And I don't see them as too essential, for the blue side at least. Just split your squads.

I disagree. Formations are what makes a military feel right. Tanks come in platoons with a leader. Id love to be able to set realistic formations for my troops and armour.

Tank formations can already be done with careful waypoint settings, probably better then the ai could do it, especially when it comes to using cover and low ground etc.

Now for the infantry, i like the frontage idea from the original poster. Im thinking of this:

The player could set how many actionspots a squad should use, say a squad that can split in two teams can have up to 4 action spots, which must be linked. The layout could look like this:

xoxo oxox xxox

oxox xoxo ooxo etc you get the idea hopefully ;) (x marks the position of a team)

The player could shuffle through these "formations" by pressing a key when editing a waypoint instead of having to live with where the stratai places the teams as its now .

- An expanded role for engineers. Right now, they're just infantry who carry around extra demo charges. Start off by giving them the ability to detect and even clear paths through minefields. Expand this by adding other items they can breach or lay down: barbed wire, road barriers, etc. We had some of these in CM1.

- User definable SOPs for platoons/individual units like TACOps. Have default settings that allow players to ignore using them if they so desire.

- Medics. Very easy to model.