Monkey Refresh?

You're all old, hehe. Anyways is it time yet? :) Not to sound like that kid that keeps asking if we're there yet but........................are we there yet? Seriously though when it's done it's done right. I'm sure itll be fantastic. I'm 29, just turned, so Im still fairly young compared to most of you dusty ol farts. ;)

I was born in '47. I grew up playing in burnt-out Japanese tank hulks; collecting helmets and military gear (including live rounds and granades) from jungle caves in the Philippines.

Yes, I started wargaming with Military Miniture games in the '70s...prior to SL, ASL.

I guess, I belong to the other end of the age spectrum.

Now my favorite game is CMSF !!! This was the game that I was dreaming of when I was playing with Military Minitures...(the rule book was as thick as an encylopedia and there was always a question of LOS, damage, penetration and angles of deflection). It took hours and a lot of argument to finish a turn.

Now with computers, everything is done in micro-seconds and with realistic animation !

You, young pups never had it so good.

Thank you BFC for making this ole grog's dream come true.

Merry Christmas to all,

Stingray

Hey Stingray. I used to play the Harpoon series on a big plywood board that would take pencil legibly so I kinda know what you're talking about as far as the encyclopedia for rules goes. I love that series, unfortunately I don't have the time to take too it anymore. Alas. Actually brings back some pretty fond memories of my squid brother and I arguing about the legitimacy of one of his moves. He was/is such a cheater. I had him pick up CMSF and the Marines expansion. I take it to him as the syrians quite often. Every once in a while he'll beat me. Just makes me wonder to what extent he did his cheating back in the day.

I was born in '47. I grew up playing in burnt-out Japanese tank hulks; collecting helmets and military gear (including live rounds and granades) from jungle caves in the Philippines.

Yes, I started wargaming with Military Miniture games in the '70s...prior to SL, ASL.

I guess, I belong to the other end of the age spectrum.

Now my favorite game is CMSF !!! This was the game that I was dreaming of when I was playing with Military Minitures...(the rule book was as thick as an encylopedia and there was always a question of LOS, damage, penetration and angles of deflection). It took hours and a lot of argument to finish a turn.

Now with computers, everything is done in micro-seconds and with realistic animation !

You, young pups never had it so good.

Thank you BFC for making this ole grog's dream come true.

Merry Christmas to all,

Stingray

Same here except for the Philippines, tanks and live rounds. :) and Merry Christmas to you!

A couple of years ago someone came out with a mini version of the old Atari 2600 system. The joysticks were normal sized, but the console was smaller and there were no cartridges. Most of the games that came out right after the Atari 2600 was released are hardcoded into the console. It was a real hoot to get that for Christmas and play Tank, Red Baron, and my favorite... Adventure! again. Of course I suppose I could have just got my original set and cartridges out of the attic where they've been sitting for eons :D

The CM crowd is generally older than other game genres in terms of %. Yet there are still quite a decent number that are young'uns. Purpheart23 is actually older now than I was when I first started making CMBO with Charles :D Back in CMBO days I think our youngest poster here was around 13 or so, our oldest known customer was in his 70s. I suspect we have a lot more teens playing CM games than people pushing up against average life expectancy ;)

Steve

There are a lot of younger people playing CM now that it's real time. I was... alright with WeGo in CMBO, but for cats coming from games like Close Combat, they looked at it as a step down in terms of fidelity and mostly gave it a pass. And after CMBO, I did too. Flash forward about seven or eight years, now I can show this to friends and they are actually impressed with the game as opposed to "is this like War Chess or some ****?"

"The CM crowd is generally older than other game genres", and that's why I love coming to these forums. The maturity level here is infinitely better(aside from those peng challenge fellows ;)) than other game forums. Yeah I should've gotten into software design. Oh wait, I like my sanity.

Apocal,

but for cats coming from games like Close Combat

With words like that, you're showing your age dady-o :D

purpheart23,

The maturity level here is infinitely better(aside from those peng challenge fellows ) than other game forums.

The Peng guys are not immature, they are just misunderstood. [original analogy removed due to this being a family show and I should have gone to bed an hour ago ;)] The problem is that nobody really wants to understand them, so they remain the much maligned members of this group of campers. Actually, it's not a problem for them because clearly they don't want to be understood!

Steve

My first video game was Combat. It came with the atari 2600 way back in '83. When I was a kid, I learned about my great great grandpa who fought in several civil war battles. So I went to the library (before google we actually had to go get a library card, look for books using the dewey decimal system, check the books out, and read them in order to learn about things) and checked out a ton of books about the war. I ended up creating my own civil war battle game, complete with a large paper map and cardboard chits! The map was a bridge crossing and the chits represented roughly a platoon of men. I even made my own rulebook. Too bad I never really got to play anyone (a.i. would have been nice at that point). When I was in the military, wargames were like a trip to disney land for me. I loved it. Now? Now I play CMSF, which keeps my inner wargamer satisfied.

One of the main reasons I keep coming back to this forum is for the exceptional maturity and friendliness of it inhabitants. Thanks guys, and have a great Christmas/New Year.

I ended up creating my own civil war battle game, complete with a large paper map and cardboard chits! The map was a bridge crossing and the chits represented roughly a platoon of men. I even made my own rulebook. Too bad I never really got to play anyone (a.i. would have been nice at that point).

I did exactly the same thing!