Light Infantry Battalion in US Army - how to simulate?

sdp

What would be the best way of simulating a light inf battalion with what we got right now in CMSF -the stryker battalion minus the strykers? (plus some Humvees?) -a marine inf battalion? (plus some Humvees?)

Found this part on globalsecurity.org (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/battalion.htm

Light Infantry Battalion. This is the most austere conventional combat battalion; its organization differs most from that of the light armor battalion. This battalion has only three rifle companies and a headquarters company. The light infantry battalion is an austere combat unit whose primary strengths are its abilities to operate under conditions of limited visibility and in close combat. The primary weapon of the light infantry battalion is the M16. There are 65 M203 grenade launchers, 18 M60 machine guns, and 18 Dragons in the battalion. The Dragons are being replaced with the Javelin which is in its Full Rate Production stage. There are four TOWs, four 81-mm mortars, and six 60-mm mortars. The battalion has 27 HMMWVs and 15 motorcycles. There are no 2-1/2 ton or larger trucks in the battalion. There were 42 AN/PRC-77 radios. These have all been replaced by SINCGARS radios, which are the primary means of communication within the battalion. There are no redundant radios.

When attached, the light infantry battalion may come with a 105-mm howitzer battery from the infantry brigades direct support FA battalion. The differences among this battalion and air assault and airborne battalions are greatest in the organization of support and logistics. The battalion has no trucks larger than its 27 cargo high-mobility multipurpose wheeled vehicles (HMMWVs). There is no mess team in the battalion; Class I supply is prepared by brigade. There is only one mechanic in the entire battalion; repairs are conducted at brigade level. The battalion has only 18 long-range radios. The light infantry battalion has limited antiarmor capability: a HMMWV-mounted tube-launched, optically tracked, wire-guided missile (TOW) platoon at battalion level and a Dragon (Javelin) section at company level.

Air Assault Battalion. The air assault battalion and the airborne battalion are similarly organized with three rifle companies, an antiarmor company, and a headquarters company. Tactical movement for both usually is a combination of air insertion and foot marches. A major difference, however, is in the number and types of wheeled vehicles in the air assault battalion. The battalion has six 5-ton cargo trucks and 45 HMMWVs. There is a mess section and a 17-person maintenance platoon. Communications are served by 29 long-range radios. Antiarmor capability of the line company is decentralized down to each rifle squad.

Airborne Battalion. Once inserted, the airborne battalion tactically performs much like a light infantry battalion; walking is a principal means of transportation. It does have 10 2-1/2-ton trucks and 36 cargo HMMWVs, and it can move nontactically by truck. It has a mess section and a 16-member maintenance platoon. The airborne battalion has 30 long-range radios. Its rifle squads also have antiarmor capability.

-is this information valid?

regards/

sdp

Nah, that info is really outdated. Check out the mention of Dragon ATGMs and M60s :D

Currently the US Army has three different types of Brigades:

Infantry Brigade Combat Team (IBCT)

Stryker Brigade Combat Team (SBCT)

Heavy Brigade Combat Team (HBCT)

Although there are still some minor quirks for the different types of light formations (Ranger, Airborne, Mountain), the IBCT org is the standard for them all. IIRC 101st Airborne still has some unique features, however I think they are slated to be standardized soon.

Currently the best way to simulate a IBCT is to take a SBCT and strip out the Strykers and some of the supporting arms. It's not really going to result in a true IBCT, therefore sometime soon we're going to introduce real IBCTs into CM:SF.

Steve

Currently the best way to simulate a IBCT is to take a SBCT and strip out the Strykers and some of the supporting arms. It's not really going to result in a true IBCT, therefore sometime soon we're going to introduce real IBCTs into CM:SF.

Steve

Ok, you opened this can of worms... I want info! ;)

You should know by now that I like to open cans of worms and then walk away for a little bit. It's the most fun way to let you guys know something without actually telling you anything. So for now, use your imagination as you usually do. Most of it will probably be wrong, but there's entertainment value for all with all those wrong guesses :D

Steve

You should know by now that I like to open cans of worms and then walk away for a little bit. It's the most fun way to let you guys know something without actually telling you anything. So for now, use your imagination as you usually do. Most of it will probably be wrong, but there's entertainment value for all with all those wrong guesses :D

Steve

I really hate you sometimes. :mad: :cool:

Perhaps the last CM:SF module will be "CM:SF Screaming Eagles" - featuring the 101st Airborne plus TO&E of a standard IBCT. That would be sweet! :)

But would cost like what, $5? Unless there's a host of other stuff, I don't think even I (and I'm a bit of a fanboy) would buy a $35 module just to get a slightly better version of something I can simulate pretty accurately already . . . I would presume that IBCT TO&E would be a part of another module, or a largeish patch.

Does anyone have some good links to sources on the IBCT TO&E? I'm fairly familiar with the older (80s-90s) light infantry formations but not the IBCT. I'm assuming it's basically just like a striker formation minus the vehicles and with light mortars like the marines?

Does anyone have some good links to sources on the IBCT TO&E? I'm fairly familiar with the older (80s-90s) light infantry formations but not the IBCT. I'm assuming it's basically just like a striker formation minus the vehicles and with light mortars like the marines?

Is there a non-mech infantry force in modern armies? Does the US army still use trucks to get around in like the marines do? If so that means that trucks will appear in army colours - I assume they use the same trucks as the marines.

sometime soon we're going to introduce real IBCTs into CM:SF.

I suppose this means that the inclusion of IBCT in QBs, which is good news if it allows more flexibility when picking forces. The question is, does it mean the addition of any new equipment? Somehow I don't think so.

I guess I would be more excited if more flexibility/options were added for the Red forces. Blue has already got heaps to choose from.

look here..

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/bct-infantry.htm

bct-infantry-toe.gif

In theory the IBCT is a non-motorized unit like the Marines, but in practice they generally have more vehicles than standard TO&E calls for. The prime difference is these vehicles are lightly armed and armored (i.e. Humvees).

The Marines have their own fleet of trucks. IIRC they are also used by the Navy's logistics units. The Army, on the other hand, has a fairly wide range of 4x4, 6x6, and 8x8 trucks.

Steve

For a more complete answer, the non-mech American infantry units that I can think of off the top of my head:

10th Mountain Division.

25th Infantry Division

82nd Airborne

101st

173rd Airborne BCT

As you can see, quite a few really.

In a initial-invasion type scenario that would be mech-focused (Such as Syria), you would likely only see the Airborne and the Air Assault on front line combat, and even then much limited compared to the tread heads.

... once a mine field gets found the hard way there is some ability to check/clear the immediate area? I would settle for checked and marked.

Isn't that already in? I could have sworn I marked a minefield a few games ago ... ?

Ah, but how do you know where the field starts and stops without doing recon in each place? Having said that, I can see it being realistic if adjacent Action Spots are also marked. I'll make that suggestion to Charles.

Normal Dude,

The list is much longer when you start throwing National Guard units into the mix. And a minor correction about 25th ID... two of its Brigades are SBCTs and two are IBCTs (both fairly eclectic). Here is the Order of Battle for 25th ID for those curious folks out there

Steve