Eagerly awaiting CMx2 WW2

Wolfgang

Sequoia,

The second WWII game confirmed is East Front Summer '44 Operation Bagration.

Not exactly :) This is going to be the first of the Eastern Front releases, but it's actually going to be the third WW2 release. The second will pick up where Normandy leaves off and go through the end of the war. Because of the terrain, weather, and equipment changes in the Fall of 1944, what follows is basically an entirely different game from our perspective. Far too much for Modules to handle.

What this means is that after the initial Normandy release is out one group will be busy making Modules for it (British in Normandy, Arnhem, etc.) while the usual suspects start working on the late war stuff. This allows us to not only do the big changeover correctly, but it also gives us the time needed to continue adding major game enhancements to the system as a whole.

One of the major benefits of the new Module system is that we can stop having the grunt work (adding TO&E, models, art, scenarios, campaigns, etc.) compete with improving the game engine itself. From the customers' perspective this is great because there is both a steady flow of new stuff to play as well as a steadily improving game engine all within a fairly compact amount of time compared to CMx1. It also keeps us from burning out trying to do too much all at once, which is great for us but also good for you guys since happy developers are more productive developers :D

Steve

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, big news. That's the first I've heard of a "Bulge Plus" game so you'll have to pardon me. I remember you once said that only 2 of the first 5 games would be WWII so does that mean your plans have changed or is there something else you guys have up your sleeve?

These games are going to be so wanted !

lots in the pipeline it seems :)

Oh yeah! It's a good thing I am single...

I gotta feelin' there's gonna be a lot more single guys on this board after BFC releases a bunch of these titles.

Mord.

Wow, big news. That's the first I've heard of a "Bulge Plus" game so you'll have to pardon me. I remember you once said that only 2 of the first 5 games would be WWII so does that mean your plans have changed or is there something else you guys have up your sleeve?

Including CMSF into that ratio and it's correct. Which I think is probably what they meant. AFAIK the Britsh module is still coming.

1.)CMSF 2.)CMSF:Marines 3.)CMSF:British 4.)Normandy and 5.)Arnhem

Then onto the the mother of all fronts, The Eastern Front. :)

Is this deja-vu or is it just me? Didn't we just have a "Can't wait for WWII modules" thread. Ah well, you can never have too many of them I guess.

Including CMSF into that ratio and it's correct. Which I think is probably what they meant. AFAIK the Britsh module is still coming.

Is this deja-vu or is it just me? Didn't we just have a "Can't wait for WWII modules" thread. Ah well, you can never have too many of them I guess.

I'm pretty sure he meant games and not modules.

So far that makes 3 WWII games and 2 modern games announced. Maybe they want to keep the 3rd non WWII game secret for a while. Steve has said it won't be pre-20th century whatever it is. Space Lobsters?

One of the major benefits of the new Module system is that we can stop having the grunt work (adding TO&E, models, art, scenarios, campaigns, etc.) compete with improving the game engine itself. From the customers' perspective this is great because there is both a steady flow of new stuff to play as well as a steadily improving game engine all within a fairly compact amount of time compared to CMx1. It also keeps us from burning out trying to do too much all at once, which is great for us but also good for you guys since happy developers are more productive developers

Although I like this approach since it means less waiting for something new it'll also mean that every mopdule/patch will probably introduce something new engine- and feature-wise, right? So... I come to the conclusion that there will come the day when you have to do it all over again because the maturity of the engine allows for so many new and exciting features to be implemented in the base game that, say, CM:Normandy just - excuse my language - most totally sucks. Will that be the way we're going from here or will there indeed be some retrofitting along the line? Because from what I figure it'd mean indeed reiterating some of the current games/settings to a certain degree - and I just cannot see that happening somehow... care to enlighten me?

I'm pretty sure he meant games and not modules.

So far that makes 3 WWII games and 2 modern games announced. Maybe they want to keep the 3rd non WWII game secret for a while. Steve has said it won't be pre-20th century whatever it is. Space Lobsters?

AFAIK the Normandy/Arnhem games are modules, not a full game like CMSF. Same goes for the Eastern front stuff. As far as new full games/sequels goes, the only thing I've heard is CMSF2.

Or am I wrong about all this, I don't frequent the CMSF forum as much as I use to. Just not interested in the modern stuff.

I think the way it works is that CMII: Normandy is a full game, then modules for it; CMII: After Normandy will be a full game, then modules for it; CMII: Eastern Front will be a full game, then modules for it. Patches will be released with each module that will improve the full game the module belongs to, minus the new units and weapons that are specific to each module (like the 1.10 patch for CMII SF), even if you don't have that particular module.

You'd have a customer FOREVER if I could see CMSF Guadalcanal.

Hell Id bye 2 or 3 copies :).

From what I heard, Lee is right.

1st game: CMSF

Module1: Marines

Module2: Brits

Module3: DUTCH!!! (and Canadian & Germans ofc ;) )

2nd game: WWII West-front early '44 (USA vs 3rd Reich)

Module1: Commonwealth forces (british in Normandy & Arnhem)

ModuleX: ??

3rd game: WWII West-front Bulge (late '44)

ModuleX: ??

?th game WWII OstFront '44

ModuleX:??

?th game CM Temperate Modern setting

ModuleX;??

Now what really interests me, will there be any new Red forces along with the Brits or CA/DE/NL Modules? I don't know if the Syrians pack anything we haven't seen yet hidden in their sleeves??

There are some interesting things going on though in the region, Russia sending Navy ships and placing AA systems there.

Anyone can enlighten me on this subject? :D

This is great news the way Steve and Charles are handling this. CMII: Normandy, then 3 or 4 modules for it, and then CMII: Post Normandy with another 3 or 4 modules for that game. This will allow them to go into a huge amount of detail with units, weapons, vehicles, etc. (plus tons of engine enhancements) and really do the western front the right way. It will be CM:BO all over again, only this time with an unprecedented level of graphical detail as well as combat simulation realism. :)

The eastern front wargame will need at least 5 heavy duty modules to handle it properly. :)

Great news! It looks like the western front will be completely covered over the course of 2 games and some modules. Thanks battlefront.

I'm really looking forward to see what the new engine can do with WW II.

Well it will be completly covered if you consider North Africa and Italy the Mediterranean Front as opposed to West Front, but then you have 1940 as well let's not forget. :)

Good lurking by the way.

Well some news on the status of the WW2 title would be great...

From the initial plan oulined by Steve some time ago I seem to recall that the WW2 game was to be released after the 2nd Module for CMSF... I hope that this is still the case...

I am going to be buying a new PC soon and forsee playing CMx2 WW2 for years...!!!

C'mon throw us a bone. haha

Some early stage pics would be brilliant...

Late war Western Front surely means The Bulge….

All the best,

Kip.

I couldn't imagine it any other way.

unless of course you were imagining the channel ports - brest, brittany, dunkirk, calais, or the fighting in paris, or the operation dragoon in southern france and the 'champagne campaign', or perhaps the fighting in alsace, or the siege of metz, or the roer river, huertgen forest, aachen, market-garden, varsity, ect.