Enhancements to the visual interface > opinions ?

LRC

I'd be curious to have opinions about the following possible improvements to the interface:

- zones of artillery/air support attacks

current =green/blue highlight only when spotter is selected.

improvement1 = highlight remains even if spotter is not selected (on/off toggle)

improvement2 = highlight blinks frequency depends on zone status (prep/spot/firing)

- icons for previously spotted OPFOR

current = frozen ? icon

improvement1 = ? icon click reports nature of OPFOR when last spotted

(nature includes sound contact)

improvement2 = ? icon click report time since spotting

improvement2 = ? icons fade as time passes

- impassable terrain

current = no unambiguous indication of impassable terrain.

improvement1 = impassable terrain (deep river/steep terrain / cliff) is highlighted.

Note=Highlight is automatically generated when map is "cooked"

improvement2= different highlight if impassable for troops or for vehicles

- out of "field of view" action

current = nothing

improvement1 = popup message when new OPFOR spotted or receiving fire

improvement2= click on popup bring view to spotter or unit under fire.

And a general question...Is there a website/wiki of suggested improvement to this great game ?

Or

When you select a certain unit, the impassable terrain for that unit type is highlighted. Also, a circle around it appears showing effective firing range, max range, etc. Also, when you use the 'target' button and place it on the target, it shows the range to that target - if unit has laser capability

During night time, if you click on a unit that has night vision, the screen changes to green glow like looking through NVGs. If not, it just stays the same as now

While on the subject, i think mouseover pop-ups would also be very helpful interface feature (especially for newer players). Say you have a contact icon 500m in front, moving a mouse over the icon will cause a little box with whatever known information to appear (eg., "Sound contact, Infantry, Danger range 300m". Pretty much the same level of information should be given as the old "enter" command provided, just in more compact form (with an on/off option provided of course).

LRC, Amen. These are great suggestions. I would like to add a couple.

Arty/Air:

1. Support button should be red when all are exhausted. I've clicked hundreds of times only to see that all arty/air ammo is gone.

2. Show us how much ammo is left (a number), i.e, 2 500lb bombs or 10 120mm mortar rounds left.

Icons:

1. Some info about the unit would be great. Alt-I to cycle no icons, regular icons, detailed icons. What info would be included with detailed icons would be up for debate.

2. More icon variety. I would like to be able to see the .50 cal on the hummer on the icon. Instead, all hummers look the same.

3. Select my HQ and see (like in cm1) a line to subordinate units, black if command link is broken.

Out of field of view:

1. Small messages would be great! Since I am the commander of these units, it could simulate me hearing radio messages that 2nd squad, 1st platoon, Bravo Co. is getting hit.

2. Not really an out of fov thing but be able to toggle "show all target lines".

Command section (the lower part of the screen):

1. Make that HUGE RED BUTTON a pause button in RT play.

2. I would like to see a number of how much ammo I have rather than a bar.

3. Be able to see a list of all of my units for fast selection.

4. Selectable ammo. If I want my squad to fire ONE javelin ONLY, I should be able to tell them that. Same with if I don't want them to use javelins. A commander has the ability to tell his men to hold off on the javelins or at4s if he so chooses.

There are tons of other changes that would make it better, but Steve has recently mentioned that a few small patches and CMSF was going "to bed". He also mentioned that UI stuff takes up too much of their time. With that said, I would definitely love to see these and many other improvements implemented into future Combat Mission games. I know Steve patrols these threads and makes notes so maybe some of our ideas will make it into CMSF2.

Icons:

3. Select my HQ and see (like in cm1) a line to subordinate units, black if command link is broken.

I can definitely vouch for this one, perhaps even a different colour coding for the highest type of command link available to a unit (visual, c2 etc.). The current system is rather annoying anyway.

Trying to summarize the previous ideas...

- zones of artillery/air support attacks

current =green/blue highlight only when spotter is selected.

improvement1 = highlight remains even if spotter is not selected (on/off toggle)

improvement2 = highlight blinks frequency depends on zone status (prep/spot/firing)

- artillery/air support depletion

current: static buttons for artillery/air support=> improvemen1: Support button should vary (green/orange/red/black) depending on ammo depletion.

improvemen2: % of how much ammo is left

- icons for previously spotted OPFOR

current = frozen ? icon

improvement1 = ? icon click reports nature of OPFOR when last spotted

(nature includes sound contact)

improvement2 = ? icon click report time since spotting

improvement3 = ? icons fade as time passes

- impassable terrain

current = no unambiguous indication of impassable terrain.

improvement1 = impassable terrain (deep river/steep terrain / cliff) is highlighted.

Note=Highlight is automatically generated when map is "cooked"

improvement2= different highlight if impassable for troops or for vehicles

- out of "field of view" action

current = nothing

improvement1 = popup message when new OPFOR spotted or receiving fire

improvement2= click on popup bring view to spotter or unit under fire.

- units situation awareness

improvement1: effective firing area range.(may be a ressource hog but would be great at least at set up...)

improvement2: effective LOS range

improvement3: During night time, if you click on a unit that has night vision, the screen changes to green glow like looking through NVGs. If not, it just stays the same as now

- GUI (graphical User interface)

current: icon click to get information => improvement1: mouseover pop-ups

improvement2: toggle "show all target lines".

improvement3: Make "Huge red button" a pause button in RT play.

improvement4: PopUp list of all of units for fast selection.

improvement5: Target light prevents use of grenades javelins or at4s.

improvement6: Select my HQ and see a line to subordinate units, black if command link is broken.

Hmmm... I wrote out a post to this yesterday, but apparently I never hit POST!

We've taken many, many notes about UI improvements from the time the game was first handed over to the testers all the way until now. We have literally MONTHS worth of good UI suggestions that we could act on. We have a couple of YEARS worth of UI suggestions which aren't very good :D We will steadily introduce UI enhancements as we go along. Version 1.10 has quite a few nice ones in it, as you will soon see.

Steve

The non Marines patch was due after the download was made available for the module?

Yes, a few days afterwards, maybe a week or so. There are additional steps needed for the patch, including stuff that needs to be done off-site (protection for the retail versions etc.) so it's difficult to nail down the exact time.

Martin

Blackswan, Welcome aboard

I have a tutorial that is swept & prepped and ready to release but due to the "black" nature of the weapons involved it will have to wait till the Digital Devildogs go "feet wet". It will help you with your "premature e-javelin" problem and put a :D on your pie hole. Just like Bob Enzyte

When you ask? (in anticipation to the next question) Let's just say that there are Snipers "in Country" as we speak. 1zf1sfc.jpgOver at Mail Call