Spam spam spam spam

REVS

I've never eaten Spam. How bad is it? Anyone got a good Spam recipe, or is there no such thing? Go on, post your Spam experiences here...

This thread is brought to you by the GF Forum, where the rules are:

No Politics (ha, there's heaps, most of it right-wing);

No commercial links (except announcements from the really cool sponsors who pay for this site);

and No spam (what exactly do they have against tinned meat products?)

REVS,

Spam, short for "spiced ham," is an extremely successful product, so much so that it profoundly influenced Hawaiian culture, becoming part of the island state's cuisine after being introduced by GIs during WW II. Hawaii is, AIUI, the top Spam consuming state in the nation. Have even eaten Asian dishes built around Spam served in Hawaiian restaurants (Spam Musubi), which I highly recommend. What it is and how to make it.

Sliced Spam with brown sugar sprinkled on it and baked is a tasty main dish. Fried Spam's good with eggs for breakfast. Spam dip (made as you would for clam dip, but with Spam chunks instead) is good, too.

Spam recipes

Official site

http://www.spam.com/eatspam/recipes.aspx

Fan site

http://www.spamrecipes.net/

Annual Spam Cook off

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cc/episode/0,2495,FOOD_20077_23991,00.html

Spam cooking vids

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+cook+spam&search_type=

In closing, there's an entire program, believe it was on the History Channel, but maybe

Food TV, devoted to the story of Spam.

Enjoy!

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Moon, I hope this okay!

I hate SPAM.

It tastes awful, looks like the remains of an alien Autopsy, and is unnecessary.

Even worse, part of my job is to build Bayesian Filters and monitor our own SMTP traffic for SPAM bots who eat up time, storage space, and the patience of my users.

Fortunately, barracudas enjoy a healthy diet of SPAM, and do a fine job of munching it down.

Now if we could just get rid of ConSPAM, I will be very pleased.

I usually slice up a few potatoes into small cubes and throw them into a frying pan. After cooking them for a short time I chop up an onion and a can of spam. I throw that in with the potatoes. I cook this mix until the potatoes are done, salt and pepper to taste, and serve it up. My daughter loves this stuff.

When I was a little kid I spent a lot of time living aboard a sailboat with my family travelling the great lakes. It was a small boat and didn’t have much in the way of food storage, especially refrigerated storage. Because of this, Spam was a convenient food. The way my mom prepared it was as I discussed above. She called it “Spam Slam.”

It's pretty nasty, but spam makes a pretty good sandwich meat when you can't pop down to the deli every two days.

Its a relic from an era when everything came in cans and not everyone had fridges, and is probably only still sold because people have a nostalgia for it. A bit like offal really. Nasty stuff but people eat it because grandma used to serve it to them. Any recipe which includes "spam chunks" does not stoke my appetite.

No mention of the Spam Museum?

My stepfather harkened from one of the Dakotas, like it matters which, and had a fondness for Spamcakes.

Spamcakes

-Removed gelantious goo from can.

-Slice into 1/3 inch slabs.

-Cut slabs into aprox. 1" by 1.5" bits.

-Mix pancake batter.

-Brown said little Spam bits on both sides in a griddle.

-Pour pancake batter around said Spam bits. Viola!!!!

-Serve with butter and syrup...and of course bacon. What would breakfast be without bacon.

Haven't had that junk in years.

When I'm camping I open the can slightly, stick it in the fire for about ten minutes, then eat it straight out of the can.

It's also excellent during winter camping trips, being high in fat, it helps to keep you warm. Especially on days where you take it out of the fire, and it freezes in 30 seconds.

(That was one crazy camping trip.)

Also, fried SPAM with BBQ sauce is also great.

Spam, short for "spiced ham"...

More information on the origin of the name here My favorite is Something Posing As Meat.

After decades of not touching the stuff, I picked some up a couple of years ago just to see what I would think of it now. I'd say you might as well eat dog food, which is cheaper. I'd rate most canned meats in about the same category, although I find Deviled Ham passable and canned corned beef is okay for making hash.

Michael

I like SPAM sliced about 1/4" and pan fried. As mentioned, good sandwich in a pinch.

Also like Tabasco SPAM, Smoked SPAM, don't recall seeing the Bacon flavour.

Canned corned beef recipe from my Dutch Indo friends, fry diced bacon and onions, throw in corned beef, when done add cooked white rice (plenty) and the sweet syrupy soya sauce. Optional is the Thai sweet red pepper sauce (syrupy stuff for chicken).

You should try canned fish like this.

Not that I would, even sewage water looks and smells more tempting.

I'm sure not trying something so vile that it's recommended that you open the can under water to hold in the smell. People actually pay real money for this garbage? Somebody should try selling jars of used yeast in Scandinavia. Oh wait, the Aussies already do that and call it Vegemite. :eek::eek: