New Scenario: Rock Around The Block (Mk IIa) (corrected briefing)

Here's a new scenario to celebrate the new 1.06 patch. Small scale, 1 understrength company. Urban terrain, daylight.

U.S. must seize control over two apartment buildings occupied by insurgents.

Download at the usual place .

Have fun. smile.gif

EDIT:

Uploaded new, corrected version Mk IIa to CMMODS.

New scenario now has the correct briefing for blue.

Other features from Mk II:

adjusted victory conditions, new AI plans with random setup a and slightly more aggressive AI.

Playable either as blue vs. AI or 2 player game. (The more experienced player should take blue).

Here are some screenies:

RockAroundTheBlock.jpg

[ February 21, 2008, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: birdstrike ]

just finished it, US total victory. Very nice scenario to play with a few surprises along the way. I lost 1 bradley early on and then another on the final assault on building B as my bradley only wanted to surpress with its MG instead of main cannon so the syrians inside got a well aimed RPG off.

birdstrike, thanks for this one I really enjoyd it. Had a gritty feel to it, and excellent pace. I like the insurgent games.

I got a total victory too, but feel that the challenge on this scenario is force preservation. I took too many casualties myself and lost one Bradley towards the end.

Other aspects I liked also was the situation came up where there was a real 360 degree threat.

Also, most of the casualties I lost felt realistic or plianly my tactical errors.

I got the impression this was made with a good eye on the realistic feel, and with no arbitary puzzles to solve.

By the way great job on the briefing picture, as seen above: that's what caught my eye first off.

Thanks alot for the comments. Again ;)

I'm quite thankful myself that the scenario turned out that way. Getting the right force selection is often much tougher than making the map. So I really appreciate hearing that I got it right in this one.

And thanks for the comment of the pictures.

With all those great new scenarios and campaigns out there, one really has to put some effort into advertising to get people to play one's scenarios. :D

P.S.

I uploaded the new version of the scenario. I also added 2 player support. And I'd appreciate any comments on how that plays out if anyone wants to try this out.

There is a very rudimentary AI plan for blue, too. Just in case someone really wants to take a look at the scenario from the red side, or is interested in the insurgent briefing's pep talk. ;)

Cool, I'll play the new one soon. I hope it's not too much harder!

The comment earlier by Vincere about having a real 360 battle is exactly right. After moving my guys around the initial corner and making my way down toward the apartments, I was suddenly surrounded. My reinforcements from the other side of the map really had to fight hard to link up with the other units. I loved it.

Just played this out (using 1.07 and in RT elite settings)and pulled a US minor victory with ten minutes to spare.

Very enjoyable scenario, played out on a nicely done map with a realistic and immersive feel to it.

By the way for some reason some of the destroyed vehicles show blue side icons. At the end it said I had had 42 other vehicles destroyed! I only lost 1 Bradley and 1 Hummer - is that something done i the editor or some weird wee bug?

##################SPOILERS########################

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

#

Liked how the main assault unit gets into a bigger firefight than planned, calls for support - support arrives and promptly gets ambushed themselves. Ended up letting the ambushed units fight their own action whilst focussed on getting my guys to the objective.

The ambushed unit was pretty much out of the frame as I had em stay put to tend to the wounded (man just love this aspect of CMSF - makes you care about your pixeltruppen).

I headed off any other nasties by having units posted at road junctions to secure any possible access and prevent me being jumped from behind. This worked as lo and behold you have these pick-ups roving about!

Thanks for the comments. Very much appreciated. smile.gif

The huge number of destroyed vehicles is no reason to worry. Since friendly units can be fired through, parked cars would not provide cover for the U.S. player if I added them to the red side. By adding them to blue, the blue player gets this little cover bonus, as he already has fewer infantry units.

And the destroyed cars do not give victory points to red - it just looks weird on the debriefing screen :D

Really enjoyed this one, short and sweet. I had an almost invincible bradley clean up 60% of the enemy, the new ELOS system really helps. Plus tons of rpg missed their target, which looked realistic. In the end it was quite easy the 1st time on RT veteran (1.07), Ill replay it to see if it was just luck. Thanks for the scenario.

Let me know if it gets too difficult :D

There are probably more effective tactics around, but one of the basic tactics I used in playtesting were close cooperation of 1-2 AFVs and 2 infantry squads: move infantry on both sides of the road forward, if someone shoots at you, take cover or pop smoke if no cover available. If nothing shows up, AFVs follow up. Rinse and repeat. Use other vehicles and infantry for backup and overwatch in key position or buildings. I still lost quite a number of vehicles and men.

• 3 weeks later...