Hi there

Hunter

Yes, I understand that, but I would like to have it packaged that way from the beginning so that the reviewers get it that way... Otherwise they sure will whine about it and give it an 8.1 instead of a 9.1... Maybe not all of them but fore sure the ones that have never seen the light before ;)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Shmavis:

Mazex, it has been stated that if CMC is successful enough sales-wise, BFC will then produce a CMC/CMBB bundle.

Has something like that actually been stated? Got quote? I would have thought that a bundle was in the making anyway. It would be foolish of them to do otherwise, as a bundle would increase sales from the beginning.

However, forcing a bundle down the throats of those of us who already have paid for CMBB, would be unfortunate.

Reviewers have been reviewing expansions for games for years now and they haven't given them bad ratings because they didn't come with the origional game. Geesh that's so silly to think it should ship with the origional game only to get a decent review.

Also though if the bundle deal is $35, hell, I'll buy another copy of CMBB, this expansion is worth every penny of $35 to me as a standalone.

"By working in tandem with the award winning Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin game engine, Combat Mission Campaigns allow you to command your troops at the operational level and then play out the resulting battles at the tactical level. CMBB and CMC actually share information back and forth so the disposition and status of troops, experience, fatigue, supply, terrain, weather, time of day and more are seamlessly integrated into both games. Plan your strategies, issue orders and deploy your maneuver units in a dynamic 3D isometric map and when units close to engagement ranges, CMC actually creates the battles (unit positions, status, weather, time of day etc...) to then be played in CMBB. Once the tactical battle is finished, CMBB then sends the results back to CMC and play is continued at the Operational level."

I guess we won't have to swap CDs but once: one time for CMC and once for CMBB when a tactical battle needs to be played, and then keep both games running...?

Looks like I will be spending a few bucks with BFC in the coming year or years. I do hope that if this is successful we get a version for CMBO and CMAK.

[ October 22, 2005, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Frenchy ]

Originally posted by Kellysheroes:

Reviewers have been reviewing expansions for games for years now and they haven't given them bad ratings because they didn't come with the origional game. Geesh that's so silly to think it should ship with the origional game only to get a decent review.

Also though if the bundle deal is $35, hell, I'll buy another copy of CMBB, this expansion is worth every penny of $35 to me as a standalone.

Well if I had never played any CM game and thus didn't have CMBB before I would maybe think twice before buying CMC AND CMBB at the same time... If merged together "for real" with some patching done on the old CMBB engine it would be easier to get few dollars more out of the oldies, and suck the new ones in... As it is now I don't really care for my own sake. Set the price to $55 for the standalone and I will buy it anyway...

Hunter,

Sounds cool, even though I'm in the Mac community. I think this may be the lever needed to entice some

CMBB holdouts into the fold, including a friend of mine who "doesn't play tactical games." That said,

your comment on paved roads cracked me up. As I recall, Russia had vanishingly few.

Preserved Killick,

You, sirrah, are unmasked! Confess yourself a worshipper of the late Jack O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels and be freed thereby. BTW,

do you own the A/M novel inspired recipe book LOBSCOUSE AND SPOTTED DOG: Which It's A Cookbook, Ain't It? If not, get one soonest. 'Tis a rare treat. Made my first spotted dog a while back, but didn't get quite enough oil in the mix. A bit dry, that one!

Regards,

John Kettler

• 1 month later...

Hunter,

This addition to CMBB looks great, you all are doing superb work, keep it up. I have three issues that bothered me playing CMBB. One of them, was not being able to gain experience or earn medals for units. CMC has taken care of that one. Thanks alot.

The second issue is minor, and it refers to the German voice files. When playing with SS units the German voices refer to them in their Wehrmacht rank equivalent, not the SS rank. For example "Jawohl Herr Hauptman" instead of "Jawohl Hauptsturmfueher". Is this something that can be addressed. If not, I understand, as I said it is a minor issue.

The third issue is a major one from my perspective. It involves the first round hit probabilities for armored crews. While playing as the Germans I have routinely had Elite and Crack crews miss three consecutive shots at the same tank at ranges of 300m or less. This is unacceptable to me. In combat they would never live long enough to reach crack or elite designations, or even veteran for that matter. In combat he who shots first usually wins, but not if you miss three times! My recommendation is tht veteran crews hit 75% of the time on the first shot at ranges of 400m and less, 80% for crack and 85% for elite. The second shot should be at 90/95/95 and the third at 100%. I know, I know, there are intagibles like crew fatigue, intervening terrain and target visibility/speed. That is why I also think that Russian AFV crews should be one level lower than the Germans due to number of crewman and fighting compartment layout. This is just MHO since I do not know how the game models first round hit probabilities. Please let me know what you think. You all are doing great work here and I am looking forward for CMC's release.

S/F

Stndrtnfhr

Originally posted by Stndrtnfhr:

Hunter,

This addition to CMBB looks great, you all are doing superb work, keep it up. I have three issues that bothered me playing CMBB. One of them, was not being able to gain experience or earn medals for units. CMC has taken care of that one. Thanks alot.

The second issue is minor, and it refers to the German voice files. When playing with SS units the German voices refer to them in their Wehrmacht rank equivalent, not the SS rank. For example "Jawohl Herr Hauptman" instead of "Jawohl Hauptsturmfueher". Is this something that can be addressed. If not, I understand, as I said it is a minor issue.

The third issue is a major one from my perspective. It involves the first round hit probabilities for armored crews. While playing as the Germans I have routinely had Elite and Crack crews miss three consecutive shots at the same tank at ranges of 300m or less. This is unacceptable to me. In combat they would never live long enough to reach crack or elite designations, or even veteran for that matter. In combat he who shots first usually wins, but not if you miss three times! My recommendation is tht veteran crews hit 75% of the time on the first shot at ranges of 400m and less, 80% for crack and 85% for elite. The second shot should be at 90/95/95 and the third at 100%. I know, I know, there are intagibles like crew fatigue, intervening terrain and target visibility/speed. That is why I also think that Russian AFV crews should be one level lower than the Germans due to number of crewman and fighting compartment layout. This is just MHO since I do not know how the game models first round hit probabilities. Please let me know what you think. You all are doing great work here and I am looking forward for CMC's release.

S/F

Stndrtnfhr

You are talking to the wrong guy. Both the 2nd and 3rd issues you raise are CMx1, and cannot be 'fixed' by CMC. The voices will (IMHO) not be fixed, since there are no significant changes planned for CMx1.

The first round hit probs has been debated over and over again. I suggest you run a representative number of tests of a specially set up scenario (usually done with 'fire lanes' delineated with trees, to block Los, and movement. The target is placed in impassible terrain (to fix it), with no ammo (to prevent your shooter getting shot). You can then usually do 10 or 20 samples per run, and run it for 100 or 200 engagements (10-20 scenarios). You then need to have some 'real' data to compare it to. You will then have got to where many people were some years ago: you may think the hit chances are too low, high, or just right. In any event, CMx1 will not be changed. Sorry, but there it is.

Usually, when you do the tests, you will find your view of what is typical in game is not accurate!

I was going to give you a link to a set of really useful articles about weapons pulled together by a guy called Salt, but the link is brokem. (Anyone know where it's gone?)

The voice problem, by the way, is a classic example of something that is in the province of modders.

All that it is needed is for someone to make a convincing set of German SS .wav files -- not much of a stretch considering that some of us change the license plates to begin with WH, WL, or SS depending on who will be driving them.

What we're talking about here would be really easy to do if you had the right equipment. Over at Punta de Lanza they made a complete set of Spanish .wav files to overwrite the German ones, and that's a lot more work -- here we're just talking about two or three files.

smile.gif Combat Mission is the best wargame (ever!). Forget playing morrowind oblivion, splinter cell, or civilizatin IV. I can't wait for Campaign version of Combat Mission! I have been searching over used bookstores for Russian campaign subjects, but to have it already built into CM is awesome! Thank you Battlefront for keeping the CM alive! There goes a thousand more hours of staying up late into the night!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think there will be no CMC mac version....... ;)

In the Beginning, there was the computer...

(thanks to Dan Rusanowsky...)

THE CREATION

In the beginning there was the computer. And God said

c:\>Let there be light!

Enter user id.

c:\>God

Enter password.

c:\>Omniscient

Password incorrect. Try again.

c:\>Omnipotent

Password incorrect. Try again.

c:\>Technocrat

And God logged on at 12:01:00 AM, Sunday, March 1.

c:\>Let there be light!

Unrecognizable command. Try again.

c:\>Create light

Done

c:\>Run heaven and earth

And God created Day and Night. And God saw there were 0 errors.

And God logged off at 12:02:00 AM, Sunday, March 1.

And God logged on at 12:01:00 AM, Monday, March 2.

c:\>Let there be firmament in the midst of water and light.

Unrecognizable command. Try again.

c:\>Create firmament

Done.

c:\>Run firmament

And God divided the waters. And God saw there were 0 errors.

And God logged off at 12:02:00 AM, Monday, March 2.

And God logged on at 12:01:00 AM, Tuesday, March 3.

c:\>Let the waters under heaven be gathered together unto one

place and let the dry land appear and

Too many characters in specification string. Try again.

c:\>Create dry_land

Done.

c:\>Run firmament

And God divided the waters. And God saw there were 0 errors.

And God logged off at 12:02:00 AM, Tuesday, March 3.

And God logged on at 12:01:00 AM, Wednesday, March 4.

c:\>Create lights in the firmament to divide the day from the night

Unspecified type. Try again.

c:\>Create sun_moon_stars

Done

c:\>Run sun_moon_stars

And God separated the light from the darkness. The sun ruled

over the day and the moon and stars ruled over the night.

And God saw there were 0 errors.

And God logged off at 12:02:00 AM, Wednesday, March 4.

And God logged on at 12:01:00 AM, Thursday, March 5.

c:\>Create fish

Done

c:\>Create fowl

Done

c:\>Run fish, fowl

And God created the great sea monsters and every living creature

that creepeth wherewith the waters swarmed after its

kind and every winged fowl after its kind.

And God saw there were 0 errors.

And God logged off at 12:02:00 AM, Thursday, March 5.

And God logged on at 12:01:00 AM, Friday, March 6.

c:\>Create cattle

Done

c:\>Create creepy_things

Done

c:\>Now let us make man in our image

Unspecified type. Try again.

c:\>Create man

Done

c:\>Be fruitful and multiply and replenish the earth and

subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea

and over the fowl of the air and over every living

thing that creepeth upon the earth

Too many command operands. Try again.

c:\>Run multiplication

Execution terminated. 6 errors.

c:\>Insert breath

Done

Execution terminated. 5 errors.

c:\>Move man to Garden of Eden

File Garden of Eden does not exist.

c:\>Create Garden.edn

Done

c:\>Move man to Garden.edn

Done

Execution terminated. 4 errors.

c:\>Copy woman from man

Done

Execution terminated. 2 errors.

c:\>Create desire

Done

And God saw man and woman being fruitful and multiplying in Garden.edn

Warning: No time limit on this run. 1 errors.

c:\>Create freewill

Done

c:\>Run freewill

c:\>Undo desire

Desire cannot be undone once freewill is created.

c:\>Destroy freewill

Freewill is an inaccessible file and cannot be destroyed.

Enter replacement, cancel, or ask for help.

c:\>Help

Desire cannot be undone once freewill is created.

c:\>Create tree_of_knowledge

c:\>Create good, evil

Done

c:\>Activate evil

And God saw he had created shame.

Warning system error in sector E95.

Man and woman not in Garden.edn. 1 errors.

c:\>Scan Garden.edn for man, woman

Search failed.

c:\>Delete shame

Shame cannot be deleted once evil has been activated.

c:\>Destroy freewill

c:\>Stop

Unrecognizable command. Try again

c:\>Break

ATTENTION ALL USERS *** ATTENTION ALL USERS: COMPUTER GOING

DOWN FOR REGULAR DAY OF MAINTENANCE AND REST IN FIVE

MINUTES. PLEASE LOG OFF.

c:\>Create new world

You have exceeded your allocated file space. You must destroy

old files before new ones can be created.

c:\>Destroy earth

Destroy earth: Please confirm.

c:\>Destroy earth confirmed

COMPUTER DOWN *** COMPUTER DOWN. SERVICES WILL RESUME

SUNDAY, MARCH 8 AT 6:00 AM. YOU MUST SIGN OFF NOW.

And God logged off at 11:59:59 PM, Friday, March 6.

On March 8, God created the Macintosh.

Love

Alice

[ February 09, 2006, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Ales Dvorak ]

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...