Narrow Streets, Kelly's Heros and Turret Traverse

J Ruddy

Originally posted by J Ruddy:

I can't tell if you trying to say that my idea for collision detection is a bad idea or give me a lesson on tactics. Because if it is the latter, send me a balanced for human play CMBB/CMAK urban setting PBEM and we'll see what happens... :cool:

Let me translate: 'he who drive tank down narrow laned, built up area wont keep tank long'

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Abbott:

Tanker horror stories...

Does the M1 use an upright ready rack for a dozen or so rounds? If you were facing the breach the rounds would be held with a floor ring and a quick release bracket about two thirds up on the shell casing near your left leg.

I wonder if they still tell that story at Holder Complex but now call it an M1 thing?

No, most of the rounds are in the ready stowage behind the hydrolically operated sliding door, 6 are stowed in the hull (they are a bitch to get out. Those are only used if the crew uses up the rest of rounds.

I normally load the HEAT rounds on top 2 racks, and the rest are SABOT. That way the heavier HEAT rounds are easier to load.

If you are interested, I might have an extra M1 Technical Manual for sale

Originally posted by Lord Peter:

Perhaps the game could have narrow streets down which tanks could drive, but not turn around in, and extra narrow streets (think alleys), which would be completely barred to tankss and larger vehicles, although perhaps some smaller vehicles could drive down them).

Like...oh, I don't know...motorcycles maybe. With sidecars. And machine guns.

;)

Michael

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

I normally load the HEAT rounds on top 2 racks, and the rest are SABOT. That way the heavier HEAT rounds are easier to load.

If you are interested, I might have an extra M1 Technical Manual for sale

Thank you for the offer on the manual, I will consider it.

I do have a question if you don't mind...why is there no HEP round for the main gun?

No Beehive?

No Willie Pete?

Dead is dead. Rules are useless in combat. You may have a point with the HEP and Wille P but I don’t know. I think they could build effective rounds for a smoothbore if they were inclined to. I tend to think it is more of somebody thinking they would not be needed verse cost effectiveness. If so, what a dipstick. The link the TC provided said something about a round filled with explosive balls (miniature bomblets?) Again I have no idea but it seems that type of round may be a logical progression to disperse the plastic before it is ignited. That new canister round should be devastating.

Edit: Ugh come to think about it I guess I wouldn’t be a good soldier these days with the JAG office and rules of engagement. I simply have the wrong attitude. I don’t know how those guys keep themselves alive with all that legal stuff trying to get them killed.

[ October 01, 2005, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: Abbott ]

It might be hard to tell the player what's going on.

originally posted by an unknown CM player:

"turn the €&€/%()##€€ turret around already!!!!1111 Keep turning that turret, don't stop!!!! Nooooooooo!!!!!!
Just imagine the threads: "the turret on my Tiger doesn't turn! Please fix or do somefink!!!!1111one" :D

Originally posted by Abbott:

Dead is dead. Rules are useless in combat. [snips]

In full-on, high intensity combat you're probably right.However, by all accounts, proper beehive (with the flechettes) make a truly horrible mess. In the current operations, would you really want someone like Al Jazeera to get hold of pictures of the end results? Not good for winning hearts an minds.

Edit: Ugh come to think about it I guess I wouldn’t be a good soldier these days with the JAG office and rules of engagement. I simply have the wrong attitude. I don’t know how those guys keep themselves alive with all that legal stuff trying to get them killed.

Some of the legal stuff is daft, but a fair amount of it seems to be involved in not antagonising the locals. You've got to strike a balance so that you don't face worse stuff down the road.

Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by J Ruddy:

I can't tell if you trying to say that my idea for collision detection is a bad idea or give me a lesson on tactics. Because if it is the latter, send me a balanced for human play CMBB/CMAK urban setting PBEM and we'll see what happens...

Let me translate: 'he who drive tank down narrow laned, built up area wont keep tank long' </font>

Which leads into the more important question, what exactly IS the turning radius for the Heavy Mark VI Space Lobster? Do they even have turrets? How about the gun dimensions on the scouting crayfish? Hmm...what would happen if a space Lobster of doom hit a power line WITHOUT butter?

Wayyyyy too ealry to be thinking of these things.

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

Which leads into the more important question, what exactly IS the turning radius for the Heavy Mark VI Space Lobster? Do they even have turrets? How about the gun dimensions on the scouting crayfish? Hmm...what would happen if a space Lobster of doom hit a power line WITHOUT butter?

Wayyyyy too ealry to be thinking of these things.

Rune

I read reports of the Heavy Mak VI lobsters rotating on the spot, but they have a bad tendency of losing a leg if the terrain is particularly rocky or muddy.

The scout crawfish main armament is their Type 3 claws, but some models (ausf F ausf G for example) also have a cephalothorax mounted LPG (light pearl gun).

[Edit - I can't believe I spelled cephalothorax correctly on the first try - but had to look up armament on dictionary.com!)

[ October 03, 2005, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: J Ruddy ]

Leo 2A4:

27 rounds of 120 mm ammunition are stored in a special magazine in the forward section of the hull, to the left of the driver's station - additional 15 (making a total of 42) are stored in the left side of the turret bustle, and separated from the fighting compartment by an electrically operated door.

Source:

http://www.armyvehicles.dk/leopard2a4.htm

Originally posted by Barrold:

I'll bet some people got in some major trouble for what happened in those photos.

BDH

For the ones where they obviously hit something probably, for the ones where they got stuck or whatnot, probably not. Stuff happens. The ground can do some funny things when you run over it with a really heavy piece of metal.

Yes the two Challengers that are on top of each other in an otherwise green field looks like a "member to pay" incident.

The main concern (esp with the tanks on their back) is that the crew is OK.

I recall an incident here where a night move along a river bank ended up with a Leopard on its roof. Most of the crew got out but the loader/operator was pinned by the turret roof and drowned in a few inches of water.

If you refer to this one here:

Challengers

It seems to me as if they have been ramming each other (for lack of visibility when buttoned up?)

(Reminds me of the "ramming thread" :D )

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't seem as if they were driving at a very high speed when it happened. However the momentum of the enormous mass seems to have been sufficient to render them totally useless anyway.