The main UI explained

Originally posted by flamingknives:

...under the TL (2nd fire team) looks like an ACOG scope, which to me indicates a designated marksman.

If that is the SDM, I hope they replace the grapic with an ACOG. The one in the pic is a M68 Aimpoint, that's a close combat optic, no magnification.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Angryson:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

...under the TL (2nd fire team) looks like an ACOG scope, which to me indicates a designated marksman.

If that is the SDM, I hope they replace the grapic with an ACOG. The one in the pic is a M68 Aimpoint, that's a close combat optic, no magnification. </font>

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

I guess I should have been more specific. In my MOSs, 19k20 and 14S20, we do not have optics on personal weapons. So maybe the infantry have them, but not vehicle crewmembers (which is what I am)

You are deploying soon right? When we rolled out it was like the RFI flood gates opened and we had new gear comming out of our ears. Alot of our tankers have M4s w/M68s,ACOGs and EOTechs. Some have shotguns, it's crazy.

M68 CCO's don't offer any magnification, though, do they? They're just a substitute for iron sights. I think other than maybe a small toHit vs. non-optic weapons bonus, there isn't really much of a difference, gameplay-wise. The biggest element of gameplay affected by CCOs or other reflex sights would probably be portraying the rifles graphically.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Area 4 seems to be additional equipment. In the given picture this looks like a Javelin, one reload for the Javelin, a radio of some description and a personal data gubbins.

I see one Javelin and one AT4/M136 LAW.

Steve,

You posted,

“Serious WIAs and KIAs are dropped out of the display of the parent unit.”

My concern is this…. will we be able to see at a glance if the squad has suffered causalities in the “current game/battle”?

Let me explain.

You may remember that with CMX1 there was a problem with being able to spot the casualties in operations, there were suffered in any given battle. In CMX1 previously suffered casualties, from “previous battles” in an operation, are shown to the right of the + sign. This makes it very difficult to spot exactly when your units start to take casualties in a current, second or third battle, in an operation.

What all this incomprehensible ranting comes down to is….. we need to be able to spot, at a glance, the casualties suffered in the “current” battle as opposed to just being able to spot the strength of a given unit. So as to be able to spot when casualties start being taken. And which units are taking them.

If you follow my rantings smile.gif .

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

Hi,

“Since this is 1:1 representation, you will see smaller platoon as KIA drop. No more abstract 3 men platoon”

But if one started with, say, nine squads at different strengths it is very difficult, often impossible, to tell “exactly” when casualties start to go down and in which squads. This is why at a glance there is a need to be able to spot which squads have suffered casualties in the current game. WIA and KIA in the current game need to be marked in the squad info box. In my very prejudiced view smile.gif .

All the best,

Kip.

kipanderson,

If I am interpreting Steves comments and the provisional design for the interface correctly, when you click on a squad you'll get a detail of the current weapons and fitness of each man.

Part of the debate is whether if you move the cursor over a man you'll get more info.

I am not sure if dead will show as dead or just disappear, thats one for Steve.

Anyway if you loose track of which squad had what and can't tell if it's taken casualties, you shouldn't be a company Co, try restricting yourself to a platoon, or a squad, or a sniper...

Peter.

Kip, we're still trying to decide how to portray this. There is some tricky stuff to account for because the system does not want to have the same Soldier in two places at once. So when a guy is KIA, WIA, or split off he is removed from that unit's roster until (and if) he returns to that unit. We would like there to be some way to know that a unit started out with x guys and only now has y, but we'll have to see how this can be done.

Steve

Hi,

“We would like there to be some way to know that a unit started out with x guys and only now has y, but we'll have to see how this can be done.”

That would be perfect as I do enjoy biggish battles. Although I recognize that with CMX2 the smaller battles will also be hugely good fun, more so than with CMX1.

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

An ingame Order of Battle will eventually make it into the game. We'll have to see if it gets into CM:SF or not.

I thought an in-game OoB was something "ruled out" more than once as too much information? If I wasn't at work I'd search the forums, but I would swear that it's come up more than once as a request.

An ingame OB, with limited information, is something we've never been against. When this discussion got started way back in the CMBO days people were asking for a "report" more than they were an Order of Battle. By report I mean something that gave tons of information about things like head count, morale status, etc. This would give the player situational awareness that is far in excess of what a commander should have, even today (though it's getting pretty close to that).

What I mean by an Order of Battle is simply a list of all your units and having them act as hotlinks to the actual unit.

Steve

What I mean by an Order of Battle is simply a list of all your units and having them act as hotlinks to the actual unit.

Steve

I could be wrong but I think that is all most folks here are asking for when they want the Order of Battle to be somehow part of the interface.

This is all we are asking for "simply a list of all your units and having them act as hotlinks to the actual unit."

I could be wrong but I had thought that was all that was ever requested?

smile.gif

-tom w