The main UI explained

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

What I mean by an Order of Battle is simply a list of all your units and having them act as hotlinks to the actual unit.

Steve

I could be wrong but I think that is all most folks here are asking for when they want the Order of Battle to be somehow part of the interface.

This is all we are asking for "simply a list of all your units and having them act as hotlinks to the actual unit."

I could be wrong but I had thought that was all that was ever requested?

smile.gif

-tom w </font>

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That simple "roster" or Order of Battle would be a great addition to the game for players who need to find units FAST or navigate inbetween units quickly in RealTime play.

If they are giving us RealTime it would be nice to make the user interface so quick and "nimble" (perhaps with the addition of the "new" quick and dirty Order of Battle) that that easy navigating and moving between units RealTime play would be enhanced and now possible with the new "Roster" gizmo thing (or something) smile.gif

Just dreaming.

What ever they give us in the way of an interface for RealTime play WILL be the same for both sides so both players will have the same advantages and disadvantages (time constraint) in RealTIme play no matter how they lay out or design the interface.

smile.gif

-tom w

Originally the request was for the kitchen sink, but I agree most said they would be happy with a simple list and links to the units. At the time we didn't feel it was worth coding to put in such a feature because we felt the size of the maps and number of units were adequte for the average player to keep track of. We also were unconcened about players forgetting about units because, well, that happens in war all the time.

As the game developed the maps got bigger and the number of units expanded. The need for a roster grew in relation to this. But we had already decided to not divert our limited resources into this feaure in place of other things. Plus, as I said, we weren't all that concerned about people losing track of units.

What's changed?

Well, for WeGo we still aren't all that concerned about the need for this feature. Where we think it might be needed, in some form, is RealTime. And if we include it for RT we might as well allow it to be accessed by WG players. Simple reason is that we aren't in favor of separate feature sets for the two methods of play. What is good for one should be at least availble for the other (even if players find it less usefull in one vs. the other).

Steve

Thanks Steve

May I make a suggestion? smile.gif

( I would like to hear from other folks on this one too.)

How about this....

As a interface design or feature....

While playing in RealTime the Roster should be quick and easy and instantly available.

Lets suppose most folks now use the ever popular scroll wheel 3 button mouse. (And YES Apple had even jumped into the game with the Mighty Mouse that scrolls BOTH vertically and horizontally! Apple Mighty Mouse page .

OK so here is the idea...

I am sure Steve and the gang have given this some thought and maybe they have something better easier and faster up their sleeve.....But about about this:

Just let me Right click on the mouse anywhere on the map (not on a unit) and the Roster will pop up like an overlay on the map (maybe somewhat transparent). Then let me use the scroll wheel to scroll through the list really quickly and click on just one unit I need to issue orders to. I left click on the name of that unit in the list and the roster disappears and the interface takes me right to the unit and lets me give it orders right away. :D

your comments and suggestions?

-tom w

[ November 17, 2005, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Just let me Right click on the mouse anywhere on the map (not on a unit) and the Roster will pop up like an overlay on the map (maybe somewhat transparent). Then let me use the scroll wheel to scroll through the list really quickly and click on just one unit I need to issue orders to. I left click on the name of that unit in the list and the roster disappears and the interface takes me right to the unit and lets me give it orders right away. :D

your comments and suggestions?

I think I'd rather have a keyboard command that caused the roster to appear. But I like the rest of your idea.

I'd add this, although BFC might claim it won't be needed, I assure them it will be desired: Arrange the roster so that it looks like an organization table, with units and subunits arranged by hierarchy. The reason behind this is so that if you were to click on the name of a platoon, for instance, all the units in that platoon would be highlighted on the map and you could give all of them one single set of group commands. Same thing all the way up the chain of command, however far that goes. Even as just a way to keep track of where all the units in one company as distinguished from another are (assuming a larger scenario, which we know gamers find irresistable).

Michael

It could still be a list

like a hierarchy

Battalion commander

*.............Company Commader Able

*..........................Platoon 1

*.................................Squad 1

*....................................Squad 2

*.......................................Squad 3

*..........................Platoon 2

and so on

With "carrots" or triangles (*) for drop downs

yes and this sounds good too:

Arrange the roster so that it looks like an organization table, with units and subunits arranged by hierarchy. The reason behind this is so that if you were to click on the name of a platoon, for instance, all the units in that platoon would be highlighted on the map and you could give all of them one single set of group commands.
That all sounds sort of intuitive I hope smile.gif

-tom w

It could still be a list

like a hierarchy

Battalion commander

*.............Company Commader Able

*..........................Platoon 1

*.................................Squad 1

*....................................Squad 2

*.......................................Squad 3

*..........................Platoon 2

and so on

More like [since BBS speak is not good at this, you'll have to use your imagination to get what this really looks like]:

-----------------------------------Battalion------------------------------

----------------Company A-------------------------------Company B-------------

------1st.Plt..--2nd.Plt.--3rd.Plt.---------------1st.Plt.--2nd.Plt.--3rd.Plt.-------

And so on down through squads and fire teams.

Michael