why do squads carry 7.62 ammo?

vincere

Most of the squads carry the SAW (5.56) and not A GPMG(7.62). Could be for use with the vehicle CO-AX. I always load my snipers up with it... just cause

I wonder if movement or stamina are affected by the making the squads take extra ammo/AT wpns.

Is there a way to split the amount of ammo a squad takes with it?

Keith

Most of the squads carry the SAW (5.56) and not A GPMG(7.62).

That is my unspoken point.

Could be for use with the vehicle CO-AX
Don't buy that, and vehicles dont use sqad ammo.

Is there a way to split the amount of ammo a squad takes with it?
No, but I think it would be really useful to be able to 'unaquire' ammo and javelin etc. And drop ammo to make an ammo point or something.

I'll double check this, but there should be no ammo carried for weapons not organic to that particular unit. So a US Rifle Squad should not have 7.62 unless specifically instructed to pick it up out of a vehicle. What I think you're getting confused about is that the 2nd ammo icon is for the SAW/LMG, and it isn't necessarily a different caliber from the standard Squad weapons. In a US Squad the SAW is 5.56 just like the M4 rifle, but the ammo is belted and not in magazines. You can't go swapping the two ammo types back and forth in any sort of a practical way during a firefight. So it's tracked differently even if the caliber is the same.

Steve

I had a fit with this awhile ago over Red ammo. i could never purchase the AK guys with any small arms ammo in the ammo bar. It was eventually explained to me first bar was 'little bullet' regardless of type and second bar was 'big bullet' regardless of type. The old AKM was classed with the 'big bullet' while AK-74 was 'little bullet'. To confuse things more, I think the big .50 cal sniper rifle and Red HMG tracks its ammo in the 'big bullet' bar though its considerably bigger than wimpy 7.62 rounds. I don't know what happens when a HMG team also carries AKMs! In other words, the game tracks weapons loadouts more accurately "under the hood" than in those simplified bar charts.

Hehe... I made that last post just before I headed out for the day. About 10 minutes after the post I realized that what I said was an earlier design that never made it into the game! Doh smile.gif

What most people don't know is not only did I design the bulk of CM:SF, but pretty much everything in the game went through a dozen revisions before winding up the way you see it today. Sometimes I get myself confused about what which version actually made it into the game.This happens sometimes guys... sorry!

The first ammo icon should be "small arms" ammo, which is generally the 5.56 and Soviet 5.45 and 7.62x39. The second ammo icon is the heavier 7.62 ammos found in MMGs and some other specialized weapons. So by default no US Squad that I can think of should be carrying around ammo in that second group. If someone sees one, please let me know EXACTLY what the formation is and I'll try to track it down.

Steve

"The first ammo icon should be "small arms" ammo, which is generally the 5.56... ...and 7.62x39."

Emphasis on the word 'should'. My Combatants fire their AKMs and the 'big bullet' bar goes down. I think if you go to a BMP and 'acquire' 7.62 ammo it replenishes their AKM ammo stocks and is reflected in the second 'big bullet' bar. Not entirely sure about this, I've only 'acquired' Red ammo twice since the patch came out.

Yes, more tool tips would be welcome by all, I'm sure smile.gif We'll get them in there eventually!

MikeyD... you know, you might be correct. This was one of those features which Charles implemented in a way that made sense to him and not necessarily as I designed it. With all the stuff swirling around in my poor gray gush I could very well be wrong how it wound up. Actually, come to think of it I think you're right.

Vincere... good to hear, actually :D The internal TO&E system is rather complicated. Tracking down something like this using the "hunt and peck" method is tedious, so I try to avoid it if possible ;)

Steve