Please FEED US

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sgt.Joch:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moon:

No worries, it won't be the end of summer.

August 28 is my birthday, CMSF would make a nice present. :D </font>

everything that releases after StarcraftII 2007 release date will go straight to forgotten trashbin
I don't think Starcraft and Battlefront share the same core audience (I can barely compare the two in my mind). That said I believe Starcraft II is a 2008 release.

Originally posted by C'Rogers:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />everything that releases after StarcraftII 2007 release date will go straight to forgotten trashbin

I don't think Starcraft and Battlefront share the same core audience (I can barely compare the two in my mind). That said I believe Starcraft II is a 2008 release. </font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

It's a "scared straight" tactic that would save a lot of people a lot of grief :D

Now and then, I think about starting a blog, "Confessions of a Playtester," a chronicle of some of the truly lame stuff that I've witnessed over the course of my exposure to "the business." It'd be pretty weird because of all those non-disclosure agreements. The names would have to be changed to protect the innocent, of whom, btw, there are very, very few. Industry insider and fanboy, alike, would rise up in righteous indignation, amid universal condemnation of such outrageously false testimony. The gaming media would endeavor to expose these untruths, deploying the usual gaggle of marketing-representatives to internet forums, far and wide. Michael Dorosh would demand heads on sticks, pounds of flesh, most likely mine. Some things, me thinks, are better left unsaid. :cool:

PoE

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

It's a "scared straight" tactic that would save a lot of people a lot of grief :D

Now and then, I think about starting a blog, "Confessions of a Playtester," a chronicle of some of the truly lame stuff that I've witnessed over the course of my exposure to "the business." It'd be pretty weird because of all those non-disclosure agreements. The names would have to be changed to protect the innocent, of whom, btw, there are very, very few. Industry insider and fanboy, alike, would rise up in righteous indignation, amid universal condemnation of such outrageously false testimony. The gaming media would endeavor to expose these untruths, deploying the usual gaggle of marketing-representatives to internet forums, far and wide. Michael Dorosh would demand heads on sticks, pounds of flesh, most likely mine. Some things, me thinks, are better left unsaid. :cool:

PoE </font>

I can't honestly say I've regretted any of my experiences though.

Curiously enough, neither do I, regret the work that is.

No one sets out to make a bad product (well, the guys who did "Custer's Revenge" did, but that was a long time ago - maybe change that to "most").

No, but it's a helluva a deal when a developer and their web of supporters succeeds, and, having failed so utterly, steadfastly refuses to accept credit for the debacle. And please understand that there is nuance in all of this, degrees of competence and commitment among the particulars. It's not all black and white, but the shades between, the gray, are so dominant as to often be the central characteristic of the entire effort.

It's fitting that I posted in response to BF/S, in that he runs a clean outfit. The quality of the game development over which he presides speaks for itself. There are other developers that I believe are just as committed to this end, and I applaud them when they are successful. At the other extreme, I'd cite examples of folks who are unable and/or unwilling to do what it takes to make a solid piece of gameware, but it'd be off topic, here on the BFC/CM:SF forum.

so how can we convince you to spill? smile.gif

Beer and pizza? tongue.gif

Seriously, though, this is a hard scrabble business. There's not enough money or talent to go around. What's left, personnel wise, are too often hangers-on from the "glory days" whose survival depends on successfully attaching themselves to what money and talent is still in play. The whole phenomena is vaguely reminiscent of a cross-dressing male attempting to land himself a ride in one of the Titanic's lifeboats, the "lady" being rather more focused on her needs, than those of the others onboard.

AND THEN THERE'S YOU TO DEAL WITH, MICHAEL, YOU HUN, YOU MINION, YOU LOW CEORL!!! HOW WILL I EVER SURMOUNT YOUR 20,000+ POSTS, IF I"M CONSTANTLY EMBROILED IN KISS AND TELL CONTROVERSIES!!! ;)

PoE

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

No one sets out to make a bad product (well, the guys who did "Custer's Revenge" did, but that was a long time ago - maybe change that to "most").

No, but it's a helluva a deal when a developer and their web of supporters succeeds, and, having failed so utterly, steadfastly refuses to accept credit for the debacle. And please understand that there is nuance in all of this, degrees of competence and commitment among the particulars. It's not all black and white, but the shades between, the gray, are so dominant as to often be the central characteristic of the entire effort.

It's fitting that I posted in response to BF/S, in that he runs a clean outfit. The quality of the game development over which he presides speaks for itself. There are other developers that I believe are just as committed to this end, and I applaud them when they are successful. At the other extreme, I'd cite examples of folks who are unable and/or unwilling to do what it takes to make a solid piece of gameware, but it'd be off topic, here on the BFC/CM:SF forum.

Seriously, though, this is a hard scrabble business. There's not enough money or talent to go around. What's left, personnel wise, are too often hangers-on from the "glory days" whose survival depends on successfully attaching themselves to what money and talent is still in play. The whole phenomena is vaguely reminiscent of a cross-dressing male attempting to land himself a ride in one of the Titanic's lifeboats, the "lady" being rather more focused on her needs, than those of the others onboard.

AND THEN THERE'S YOU TO DEAL WITH, MICHAEL, YOU HUN, YOU MINION, YOU LOW CEORL!!! HOW WILL I EVER SURMOUNT YOUR 20,000+ POSTS, IF I"M CONSTANTLY EMBROILED IN KISS AND TELL CONTROVERSIES!!! ;)

PoE </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

PoE </font>

From the "formula" standpoint, it would appear as though BF has benefited from one of a sort. I've no idea how the numbers actually break down, but I strongly suspect that the three Combat Mission titles account for ninety-percent of their revenue. So, there's your formula. I'm uncertain of the extent to which the new CM series might deviate from their predecessors. Were one or more of the games to prove a commercial failure, I suspect that proponents of the older games will blame it on the developers having strayed from that which is so familiar to so many.

Panzer Command got kind of a bum-rap, IMO. Koios did a lot of things right. The game was stable and the graphics were more up-to-date than those associated with CMx. The patching process focused mainly on adding new features, rather than the raft of bugs that typifies updates associated with most titles. One of the real problems for the developer appears to have been getting folks to read the manual. The degree to which users tried to sit down at a computer and then play CM using the PCOWS package was really kind of remarkable, leaving the uninformed at the mercy of the several asymmetries in PC's movement sequence.

The REAL problem with the game, however, the one that I believe depressed wide-spread embrace of the Panzer Command, wasn't its failure to properly mimic CM. Rather it was just too darned short on content, maps, vehicles and editors. Further, I believe that this was almost certainly related to the game being put together on a shoe-string budget. And I suspect that Panzer Command sales will continue to suffer until this aspect of the package is remedied. Put another way, Koios could have CLONED the CM interface and associated game routines, and it still would have gone largely unrecognized, this for lack of a comprehensive package of units and scenario creation tools. In that sense, the successful Combat Mission formula may be as much about content as about gameplay.

PoE

Good point on patches - I agree that is what they should optimally be for.

I was underwhelmed with the subject matter of Winter Storm. Lack of an editor, as you point out, really killed any interest in investing time. CM did benefit as you also say from having point and click functionality - you can jump in, blast away, then fine tune your knowledge of the game in a few minutes by reading the manual much later, and your tactics over a lifetime of experience and using these forums, and others. The manual is almost optional everything is that intuitive (wasn't so my first time I tried the CM:BO demo, but that's another story).

CMX2 will have the advantage of being able in a pinch to be modded to represent Afghanistan, Gulf War I, or other theatres, with a full blown mission and terrain editor, and I suspect you could even model US vs Russia WW III scenarios with what comes with CM:SF - hey, CM:BO, CM:BB and CM:AK were used for the Pacific, France 1940 and other unrelated theatres and the equipment wasn't even the same. CM:SF will be much easier to provide stand-ins for other theatres, increasing the appeal - though I don't know if that will ever sell a title solely on its own? Possibly.

I tried the demo for TOW, but like you say about PC - lack of a map editor has me reluctant to bother investing time in reading the manual and figuring anything out.

Flexibility is a huge issue for me personally, and given the number of truly talented mod artists and scenario designers on these forums, I'd have to conclude that is fairly widespread, but of course, the forums cater to the hardcore and may not represent the wider paying population.