Until they Remove the Physical Testing Requirments

(which I understand the necessity for)

that's something that won't be proven by others in my same situation

But I am glad that they are starting to allow Amputee servicemen,

who prove themselves still capable, to return to duty

as far as true "Cyborg Soldiers" I hope we are still a little ways off

[ September 20, 2007, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

jeffsmith,

The matter's even made it to TV. Over several episodes, J.A.G. traced Bud's struggle to deal with a mine related traumatic amputation of the leg, his shattered self-esteem, whether to stay in the service, then his long fight to rehabilitate himself and pass the Navy's fitness standards so he could return to active duty. Worth watching if you happen to catch it in reruns.

Regards,

John Kettler

I had a conversation with a guy about this in a bar a while back. I was of the opinion that, as prosthetic techology advances, the Army will gradually open up more and more roles for amputees. First more rear-area duties, then eventually combat roles that don't rely as much on foot mobility, like pilots and tankers, and mayube even front-line foot infantry, once the prosthetics get advanced enough.

His response was, "Yeah, but what if some guy's fake leg gets blown off by a bomb, what does he do then? Huh?"

At that point I decided to look for interesting conversation elsewhere.

My brother was just called up from inactive Marine reserves (hes already fought in Iraq). He said some guys in line with him for physicals had 30, 40, and 50 percent disabilities from the VA, and they were all stamped "APPROVED" (for duty)by the doctors.

If you can carry a rifle, your fit for duty. (dumb, dumb, dumb)

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

I had a conversation with a guy about this in a bar a while back. I was of the opinion that, as prosthetic techology advances, the Army will gradually open up more and more roles for amputees. First more rear-area duties, then eventually combat roles that don't rely as much on foot mobility, like pilots and tankers, and mayube even front-line foot infantry, once the prosthetics get advanced enough.

His response was, "Yeah, but what if some guy's fake leg gets blown off by a bomb, what does he do then? Huh?"

At that point I decided to look for interesting conversation elsewhere.

Ooh, can't argue with that logic. Fortunately we only use guys (and women) with real legs and avoid the problem. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think as the role and MOS's in the military "evolve"

the idea of the "less than physically able" in service will also change

Now I know that no-one on the front line is going to really be comfortable with a gimp at his back

I know I wouldn't be smile.gif

But what about the person tasking a predator from somewhere in the US

do they need to be absolutely physically fit ?

So OK we dont enlist the "less than physically able" cause thats just silly

so what about using contractors for more non-combat duties

(like tasking predators)

and keeping those that are up to the physical challenge for combat duty

why should a clerk who handles personnel or payroll in garrison be active duty & combat ready?

and aren't there many admin & tech jobs that don't require the need for combat ready physical conditioning ?

[ September 20, 2007, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: jeffsmith ]

On CNN this morning there was a story about the California Highway Patrol just clearing a below the knee double amputee for active service.

His name is Officer Mike Remmel;

California Highway Patrol story

While many were awed by his tenacity, some saw his plan as a long shot. The CHP had never had a double amputee on full patrol duty before. In order to be cleared, Remmel would have to pass 14 physical tests, including sprinting 100 yards in 20 seconds or less.

Does any one else see a parallel with German recruiting practices in Spring 1945? "Stomach" battalions, "ear" battalions, and all that?

An amputee dedicated enough to volunteer to fight has my respect, and there is no question what with modern tech there are plenty of military jobs an amputee can perform.

But it seems to me there's something basically wrong if a military is having so much trouble recruiting able-bodied men. The US already inducting 40-year-olds as privates, that's not a good sign.

Then add all the mercenaries in, and you really get an unpleasant picture of what the US is having to do to feed sufficient warm bodies into the wars.

It's like Lenin said: "Cadres decide everything."

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Douglas Bader. Apparently the lack of legs gave him an advantage as a fighter pilot in WW2:

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Bader" target="_blank">

It was thought that Bader's success as a fighter pilot was partly due to having no legs; pilots pulling high 'G' in combat turns often "blacked out" as the flow of blood from the brain drained to other parts of the body - usually the legs. As Bader had no legs he could remain conscious that much longer and thus had an advantage over more able-bodied opponents</a>

Originally posted by Echo:

He said some guys in line with him for physicals had 30, 40, and 50 percent disabilities from the VA, and they were all stamped "APPROVED" (for duty)by the doctors.

You have to understand the VA disability rating system to realize you're discussing apples & oranges.

You don't have to accept a medical discharge. Most guys do but you can stay in if you really want to.

Duke, you are really painting a scewed picture. When I was in the recruiter's office when I went active duty the recruiter fielded two calls from guys who were over 50 but had prior service and wanted back in. This was in 91 just before Desert Storm. My old 1SG enlisted as a private at 34 after earning his Masters. It's nothing new. As for the private firms, there are lots of companies who need security but aren't entitled part of military operations, so they hire their own people. The Army has yet to field a merc unit. Unless you want to say that the entire army is mercenary since everyone is a professional.