Stryker flips over on IED

I was wondering about physics in CMx2 as well, will vehicles have a physics model so they will be thrown around by violent explosions? Will tanks lurch back when firing there cannon, will jeeps do little jumps when they hit a bump at high speed and will strykers flip over when blown up by 3 152HEAT shells?

well theres a difference between AT piercing rounds explode or HEAT rounds explode - in this case damage to the vehicle would be mostly internal due the mass energy released.

p.s

just watched again video - damn thats a MASSIVE fuking explosion redface.gif - much bigger even then some arty strikes.

Lt Mike, is this the same one that then drove back to the FOB under it's own power? Or was that the one that ran over a 500 lb bomb.

None the less that is a lot of power to lift a 30 some odd vehicle up in the air. Yikes!

just a few shaken up Joe's
That would be what I call an understatement. ;)

More like shaken the @#$% up Joes. :D

Currently serving with Task Force 1-14 @ FOB Union III (where they hanged Saddam)

Not sure how that Stryker recovered, but I do know of a few Strykers walking away pretty unscathed from some huge-ass IED's.

My platoon has been fortunate enough to walk away from well over a dozen in the last year without any harm. Knock on wood!

Just remember...These videos of Strykers getting hit on youtube and ogrish.com are very popular among the brigade. The video of the Stryker flipping is one that the Brigade Commander makes reference to, especially since there wasnt a single casualty among them.

Just wish there was a way to let people know that although these videos look brutal, crew survivability in the Stryker is much higher than any other vehicle out there.

"i get the feeling that there wasn't a whole lot of actual damage to the stryker."

From other incidents it appears Stryker, by sheer chance, was giving an armor package so balanced that its usually able to withstand an explosion just to the point that the blast will flip it. It it had slightly lighter armor the hull would be breached, if it was slightly heavier the vehicle would crack before flipping. I heard somewhere Stryker's actually been getting better marks than Bradley in regard to withstanding IEDs!

"will 3HE rounds able to pierce or deform 14.5 mm armor'

Stryker's got ceramic MEXAS tiles giving it the equivalent (I recall) of 56mm RHA. The soft steel backing plates for the tiles are more than 14.5mm thickness all by themselves. Also, slat cage vehicles can be seen with a sheet of stand-off plate running the length of the hull. One tough cookie!

USMC LAVs have held up to IEDs surprizingly well too, even though they dont have the slat cages. I have seen many LAVs that look destroyed, but the damage is really just the wheels all tore up. In most cases, the Marines inside were all OK, if rattled and suffering minor injuries. VBIEDs tend to be a little worse, since they explode right next to vehicle and not below it.

But better armor also means that the enemy will build bigger bombs. Awhile ago, 2/25 had a Amtrack that ran over an IED made of stacked AT mines. Shredded the vehicle and killed 25 I think. I remember one IED attack in Ramadi against a M113 that 1st Bde, 1st Inf Div had that was completely destroyed. All the soldiers were KIA and the biggest piece recovered was the ramp.

Its amazing that so much ordnance is still available in Iraq.