So where is the patch

Hev

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this is a step towards things like flares and other forms of "artificial light".

Oh, back to the car analogy. I had a 1997 Subaru Outback that was an overall good car, but the engine it had was plagued by mechanical problems. The worst was the head gasket, as I found out. It could fail as soon as 40k miles, which is utterly ridiculous. The engine was used for several years and Subaru took NO responsibility for the flawed design. Instead they expected the owners to spend between $1500 and $2500 to get it replaced after the limited warrantee expired. I was one of the fortunate ones who had it fail very "late" (180k miles), but most weren't so lucky.

And don't even get me started on the solder problems with Apple's G4 laptops! Oh, and then there was the RCA TV that I bought that crapped out 1 month after the warrantee expired, and I found out that happened to everybody who bought that model. Or the fact that Sony put a defective tracking component in EVERYTHING they made with a CD/DVD few year period and pretty much all the devices failed within a few years (like my DVD player and my car stereo).

My point? In all these situations I got boned, as did everybody else (well, except for lawyers in the Sony case... those bastards got rich and we got stupid little vouchers that most of us can't even use) on things that cost a heck of a lot more than Combat Mission. At least we admit to the problems and are fixing them, unlike the multi-billion Dollar companies I mentioned. Then again, maybe that's how they got to be multi-billion Dollar companies?!? Hmmm... let me ponder that some more ;)

In all seriousness, CM:SF has issues. We know that. We're fixing them and have a proven track record of that. Whether it will ever be enough for some people, I can't say. But we are doing our best.

Steve

Dynamic lighting? Oh, *very* nice. I've got a nighttime base assault all warmed up for you, CM:SF, you naughty little vixen.

Thanks Steve. At least now I'll be able to stop playing EvE, TOAW, and UFO for a while and get back to a game that my wife calls "respectable". She even "oohs" over my scenarios. Isn't that nice?

Looking forward to 1.05. Cheers!

Gah, back to interviewing programmers.

BTW, before someone asks why Charles put this in now as opposed to earlier or later... heck if I know :D He just sprung it on us one day, no warning and no boasting. Even I didn't know he was working on it. Just a simple line in the fix list notes:

* Flashes of light appear on objects near gunfire, explosions, rocket/missile flame, and burning vehicles at night and in low-light conditions.

The tester reaction was pretty funny :D

Steve

I was one of the big opponents of the modern scenario in the first place. After having bought the game and played around with it, and experienced the "issues" as Steve so delicately descibes them, I have kept quiet on CMSF, and I had nothing constructive to say.

Still, when Steve says this:

In all seriousness, CM:SF has issues. We know that. We're fixing them and have a proven track record of that. Whether it will ever be enough for some people, I can't say. But we are doing our best.
I have to point out two things.

First, Steve is absolutely right, BFI is an example of a company that really gives a damn about its customers. They responded to customer gripes in the past in a way that I wish most companies did, BFI's past record is an example of how to do that stuff right.

Second, with all the respect and love for BFI products that I have, if the pathfinding - that's vehicles AND people - isn't fixed, the game is going to be a dog.

So here's hoping.

> I was one of the big opponents of the modern scenario in the first place. After having bought the game and played around with it, and experienced the "issues" as Steve so delicately descibes them, I have kept quiet on CMSF, and I had nothing constructive to say.

The problems arn't nessesarily to do with modern. They are more along the lines of a more complex 1:1 engine. Just the lethality of modern combat makes them "worse".

I really enjoy the modern setting. I've been hanging out for a modern game wargame like this for donkeys years.

I think the forum is broken into two camps, those that enjoy modern and those that enjoy WW2 more. I guess the modern guys are a bit more forgiving of the game and your post illustrates that.

Originally posted by wolf66:

I just want to know : Nvidia Geforce 8800 problem solved ?

Laggy mouse solved ?(maybe this problem is GF 8800 related too ?)

All that car talk is sure interesting, but I still like to know :

Nvidia Geforce 8800 problem solved ?

Laggy mouse solved ?(maybe this problem is GF 8800 related too ?)

So Steve, your next car was a Subaru again ? :D

Bigduke6:

"First, Steve is absolutely right, BFI is an example of a company that really gives a damn about its customers. They responded to customer gripes in the past in a way that I wish most companies did, BFI's past record is an example of how to do that stuff right."

Thanks for posting that man. It can't be said often enough.

"Second, with all the respect and love for BFI products that I have, if the pathfinding - that's vehicles AND people - isn't fixed, the game is going to be a dog."

Are you playing mainly MOUT situations? I rarely play them and I rarely see any problems with pathfinding. When I do play MOUT, I do see problems though. Fortunately for me, I don't like MOUT, didn't like it in WW2 either.

Wolf 66, I'm running a pair of GF 8800 Pros and I haven't had a problem since 1.04 came out. I had to turn off anti-aliasing inside the CMSF options panel, and turn AA on in my GPU control panel. I turned 3D models to Best back in the game and Voila! runs smooth as a baby's butt.

Pathfinding is not that bad imo. Actually CMx2 will be a great game the day infantry will be useful in some way (and TCP/ip working ;) ) . Even the arcadish Company of Heroes has infantry behaviour that actually is instantly understood, its very flexible and it feels realistic while being very easy to use. Plus, when under fire it tries to seek cover, or spreads out when under mortar/arty fire. MOUT and weak infantry modelling dont bond well together. There are no formations, no intelligent use of cover, unresponsive AI, obscure Los/Lof etc. Its a disaster when you try to simulate MOUT, where in reality every man will seek cover behind the tiniest natural or artificial terrain feature, while in the game soldiers are helpless and very willing to be wasted in the middle of a syrian street. In an RTS you can afford to lose zillions of squads with no real worries. In CMSF 3-4 squads are all you have.

Lose some due to misunderstanding of the complex interface and game mechanics and your patience runs out very quickly.

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

Are you playing mainly MOUT situations? I rarely play them and I rarely see any problems with pathfinding. When I do play MOUT, I do see problems though. Fortunately for me, I don't like MOUT, didn't like it in WW2 either.

Is this the nail on the head? The difference between those who are fine with this game and those who are still complaining? I know that some people avoid dismount use altogether, but do the people that use dismounts and enjoy the game without issues just avoid MOUT?

That said, how do you avoid MOUT in CM:SF? Many of the scenarios in the game involve some form of building-to-building fighting.

I'll start a new thread so as not to mess up the patch thread in case anyone's interested.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=003420

[ December 13, 2007, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Phillip Culliton ]

Wolf66,

Sorry... I don't think you'll see any improvements in v1.05 because, as far as we know, there aren't any general problems with the 8800 cards since the v1.04 fixes. Charles did fix something with FSAA, which come to think of it MIGHT help you, but there were no specific fixes put in for video card issues.

My current car is a Volkswagen, which I bought after reading through all the VW forums of pissed off customers reporting all kinds of nasty problems in the early 2000 models :D Vehicle manufacturers tend to go through bad periods within any given 10 years. I know my GMC pickup is a PIECE OF UNMENTIONABLE WASTE PRODUCT. I could probably count the number of things that haven't fallen off, failed, gone screwy, rattled, or rusted out completely. And with only 86,000 miles on it that's not a good thing :(

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

My current car is a Volkswagen, which I bought after reading through all the VW forums of pissed off customers reporting all kinds of nasty problems in the early 2000 models :D Vehicle manufacturers tend to go through bad periods within any given 10 years. I know my GMC pickup is a PIECE OF UNMENTIONABLE WASTE PRODUCT. I could probably count the number of things that haven't fallen off, failed, gone screwy, rattled, or rusted out completely. And with only 86,000 miles on it that's not a good thing :(

Steve

You are starting to ramble on Steve, I think you all need a holiday!

:D

Pathfinding as of v1.04 is actually pretty good IMHO. There are, however, situations with vehicles and avoidance of other vehicles that have been fixed in v1.05. Most of the problems with infantry pathing is related to doors, which again we've made a lot of fixes for in v1.05. So like everything else, I don't expect you guys will find pathing "perfect" in v1.05, but you definitely will see major improvements.

Steve

That wasn't a ramble, that was a quite rant :D Yeah, VW has had some very bad quality issues, but it would appear that recent models are much better. Plus, if domestic car makers would get off their f'n duffs and improve milage without being mandated by Congress, I could have bought a diesel car of some other make. "Best made" that gets 30% less MPG than my VW doesn't impress me smile.gif

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

That wasn't a ramble, that was a quite rant :D Yeah, VW has had some very bad quality issues, but it would appear that recent models are much better. Plus, if domestic car makers would get off their f'n duffs and improve milage without being mandated by Congress, I could have bought a diesel car of some other make. "Best made" that gets 30% less MPG than my VW doesn't impress me smile.gif

Steve

market dictates...

Im sorry Steve, but there ARE HUGE problems with the pathfinding in .04.

I have a scenario im working on with a heavily built up urban area, many buildings backed on to each other and MANY multi part buildings with walls and doors seperating the parts of the larger building. When i order my troops to move between the buildings its a JOKE.

My guys will run around the row of houses and come in from the other side even when there is a door on thier side.

When ordered to move from one room of a building to another they will either move to the roof and cross over then move down to the room or again they will exit, run round and re-enter at the other side.

The tight terrain also seems to be a catalist for the splitt squad bug, with squads ending thier move irreversably splitt into two teams.

And finaly, there is also a bug that means i have to give my men a midway waypoint in the street to get them to cross to the other side because when i give a straight order from one building to another the troops will think about it for 10-15 seconds and then cancell the order for no apparent reason.

I have the scenario if you would like to check it out and the problems show with EVERY PLAY. So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me there are going to be pathfinding fix's in 1.05!!