Where's the Smoke???

We all know about the pathfinding and LOS issues, so hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse on this one, but where's the smoke?

I have played a bunch of the scenarios and wanted to call for artillery delivered smoke to cover my moves. We are playing in a desert with little cover or concealment available. That's the cards your dealt when you're in the desert, but again where's the smoke?

Mortars in RL deliver white phosphorous. It blocks visible as well as IR and thermal visibility. It blooms quick but doesn't last long. Oh yeah, it also starts fires and kills troops in the open.

Artillery delivered smoke, however, takes longer to build and lasts a lot longer on the ground. It won't kill anybody either, but is available in multi-spectral screening so it still works against thermals, etc.

I've not encountered it yet, but how do you execute a deliberate obstacle breach without smoke when the "O" in SOSR stands for obscure?

Okay - rant off. Anybody else feel the same?

Flashbangs are good for training too, one went off right in my face when some marines were attacking my .50 cal position. It was loud and showered me with sparks, but I wasn't blind or deaf... it was night too. Guess I was just used to the noise firing that .50.

The military definitely uses them under certain circumstances, but don't expect them to be used in the heat of battle much.

Flashbangs are issued, but rarely used. It's not that they are by any means useless, just hard to suprise the inhabitants when you use a water impulse charge or ram your vehicle through a door. Needless to say, the element of suprise is then lost. :D And, as BradleyDick pointed out, there is the uncertainty of who is in the room.

Funny smoke story:

When I was stationed at Hohenfels, my PSG decided it would be a good idea to strap a smoke pot to his BMP (actually a 113). Well he lit it and began driving around and, of course, it came loose and fell through the open troop hatch. So he jumps out and opens the troop door and continues driving around. We were laughing so hard the smoke dissipated before we could compose ourselves and move.

Naturally the smoke pot came to rest against his ruck and started a fire so we all got to use our fire extinguishers to put it out. They didn't give us any more smoke pots after that.

I was pretty impressed with the black smoke from the Syrian tracks.

Does anyone know how much each vehicle shoots out? After one engagement there was a huge area of black smoke (a couple hundred square meters) that seemed to come from one BMP. There were two other vehicles nearby but only the BMP was being engaged.

I have been very impressed by the vehicle smoke, both in its appearance/behavior and its low impact on game performance (at least on my setup). I have used the Stryker's in lieu of artillery delivered smoke to good effect. A platoon of Strykers can put up enough smoke (and accurately) to blanket most small to medium sized maps, especially with a decent wind. I use this to screen and conceal maneuverer, specifically to hide dust trails kicked up by my moving vehicles.

Certainly not optimal, but can be used in a pinch.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Normal Dude:

This game needs MRE heater bombs.

ROFLMAO! I remember those. Even more fun was using MRE main meals to simulate shrapnel with arty sims. Covered many a bad guy with Chichen-crapatori. </font>

Originally posted by Nidan1:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Normal Dude:

This game needs MRE heater bombs.

ROFLMAO! I remember those. Even more fun was using MRE main meals to simulate shrapnel with arty sims. Covered many a bad guy with Chichen-crapatori. </font>Bah...MREs you young whipper snappers got it too easy...in my day we had to live off the land or be forced to eat ham and lima beans.....although after an hour or two of eating those a man could create a pretty nasty smokescreen. </font>I have heard many horror stories about the ham and lima beans MRE in particular. One even went so far as to claim they were invention of Satan. :D