Paradox to publish CMSF

I don't wish to change the subject at all, but what is Starforce? I keep reading about it and all the negative comments but I have absolutly no knowledge of what it is. I have SHIII and haven't had anything bad happen to my computer. (that I know of anyhow.)

Sorry to go off topic for a second.

Originally posted by c3k:

Thanks!!

Having enjoyed LAN play with CMBO/BB/AK with my sons AND having just returned an UNopened copy of Silent Hunter III due to its inclusion of Starforce copy protection, your games' licensing agreements are a huge boon to consumers.

Thank you,

Ken

Yeah, the other big advantage of an online activation system like eLicense is that it is not linked to the CD. You can copy the CD as much as you want, and you do not require to have it in drive to play the game. Therefore, obviously, there is no hampering with your hardware or other questionable stuff (not saying that Starforce does it, I actually never had problems with it myself, but I hear that people don't like it).

There are downsides, too, of course. For one, while there is an off-line activation procedure, it is not as simple and elegant as the online procedure (which basically is just one click). And like with everything with online connection, you might have to fiddle around with your firewall before all works as intended. But all things considered we think that this system is really working well for all involved, including the customer, which is why we have chosen it.

Martin

Just a couple of small questions. If I understand the posts so far, you will be able to have CMSF on two computers (desktop and laptop for me) with the license agreement?

Also haven't seen any further mention of system requirements as the game starts to firm up. Will a fairly state of the art PC be able to play?

Last question...haven't heard anything about the timing for a Mac release..may have to buy the PC version to play under Boot Camp to get my fix, but I could wait a few (very few) months for a Mac release...

By the way LOVE the new website and wanted to thank everyone who posted bibliography ideas.

Whenever I read about Paradox and Battlefront coming together, I'm reminded the Paradox holds the Squad Leader computer game license. Combat Mission is now a familiar enough brand name that it doesn't need an association with Squad Leader, even though that's sort of where it began. I wonder however, given this partnership, if any more could be done with the "Squad Leader" brand name.

Originally posted by LC-:

I don't wish to change the subject at all, but what is Starforce? I keep reading about it and all the negative comments but I have absolutly no knowledge of what it is. I have SHIII and haven't had anything bad happen to my computer. (that I know of anyhow.)

Starforce is a copy protection that almost certainly ruined thousands of DVD writers, among others one of mine.

Note that CDV used Safedisk (not Starforce), which is just a normal "hard" copy protection that the pirates don't notice and honest users posted dozens of problems with in the support forum.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LC-:

Starforce is a copy protection that almost certainly ruined thousands of DVD writers, among others one of mine.

Note that CDV used Safedisk (not Starforce), which is just a normal "hard" copy protection that the pirates don't notice and honest users posted dozens of problems with in the support forum. </font>

So, Starforce is a pirate software? Again I'm sorry I just have no understanding what-so-ever of it and don't understand how it ruins DVD drives. Again, not saying it does or doesn't.
To my limited understanding.

Starforce is a protection software that companies put on CDs/DVDs to try and make it more difficult to just download and play the game without purchasing. However Starforce is often accused of its protections going overboard and damaging people's computers. It can potentially ruin a DVD driver by installing its own software which purpose is to ensure that a game can only be played when a the correct CD/DVD is in the drive, but to some people has resulted in outside problems with their drive.

Of course if you want more you can always consult wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starforce.

zwobot... you can of course simply download from our digital delivery portal, that avoids any shipping cost. If you want to have a hardcopy by mail, that's between $8 and $14 per shipment (not per item) I think (though I am going from memory, you can look up the current S&H on the purchase page).

grunt_GI - yes, you can have the game installed and "active" on up to two computers, for example laptop and desktop. If you get a new computer, you would have to un-license from one of those two first and could then re-license on a third computer. The copy you un-licensed can remain installed but would not launch anymore.

System specs should be on the main CMSF website. If not, then they are not yet announced formally. A Mac version is planned but with no firm schedule at the moment.

Juardis, Paradox will be our partner to bring the game to retail shops worldwide. It's not really a big change because most of our previous games are (or have been) available in stores worldwide. To be honest, it's not even new that we announce this kind of cooperation before the game is released by us - we did the same with CMBB and CMAK (released by CDV in Europe and North America).

Of course we will still be releasing the game from here, and obviously we're hoping that many local fans will continue to buy from us direct. The money you spend at your local software store remains to a large % in that store, and most of the rest is scooped up by wholesalers and distributors before a tiny part arrives with us. Good direct sales are a must for small independent developers like us to survive.

Of course the best thing is if you buy a copy from us as soon as it's out and a second copy from retail, too, so you have the nice shiny box to look at ;)

Martin

I don't know anything about eLicense so I have a question.

I'm guessing that when you activate the software, your computer provides some sort of computer-specific registration key to eLicense which then checks it against a database and authorizes the installation or not. Adding additional computers requires you to deactivate the license for existing computers.

My question is what happens if eLicense goes out of business? Will you lose the ability to un-install and re-install the software?

Pirx, this must be one of the most asked questions about us using eLicense smile.gif The simple answer is that we would then switch to a different online activation system and all existing customers would retain their keys. Another question often asked is what happens if we go out of business. But that, too, is simple - we would release an "unlocked" version of the software without any need for activation.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding eLicense, or any other online activation scheme. I think online activation is bad, I'm playing multiple online games that require those schemes, and I'm getting pretty annoyed by the fact that my list of login credentials keeps growing and growing, if i loose the list I'm fracked, because I'm sure no publisher will help out by giving new credentials, they will rather push me to buy a new copy of the game. If you don't believe this, Google for this subject and enjoy, EA, Valve anyone, and these are just the big ones.

I prefer the good old way on installing games off line, with no online requirement/dependency to make it function.

And "Star force" protection, i use a "windows xp 64 bit" operating system, "star force" really is a pain on that architecture, most of the time games with this protection don't work, or display random crashes, game aborts and protection errors.

Anyway, I'm dying to get my copy of CM:SF, according to the spec's and screen shot's it's going to be a classic (and it will have down to earth system requirements, unlike "Armed Assault", which is a disaster). Again my login credential list will expand. Ohh, the horror, the horror the horror....

Oh, I'm a person who buys games, and don't fiddle with pirated software. If you don't like to pay for it, don't use it!

Sheers

Originally posted by Stainless:

Regarding eLicense, or any other online activation scheme. I think online activation is bad, I'm playing multiple online games that require those schemes, and I'm getting pretty annoyed by the fact that my list of login credentials keeps growing and growing...

Keep in mind that you will only need to activate the game once. After that you won't need to login to some system to play the game (like Steam). I've done similar online registrations in the past (for example, Gal Civ II) and it worked like a charm.

If I have to chose between some nasty piece of copy protection like Starforce and a simple online registering I'm all for the registering action. I simply write down the account/login/whatever data on a piece of paper and tape it into the game box in case I need them later. Problem solved.

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />I'm sure no publisher will help out by giving new credentials

That's not necessary with us because your license key is on file, and if you lose yours, you email elicense@battlefront.com and we dig out the info for you (provided you bought from us of course and not a third party). We're doing this several times every day for our customers.

Martin </font>

No problem. There are many prejudices against online activation systems. Granted, some are crappy as we found out ourselves while looking for a system suitable for us. We found it in eLicense, which allows for a mobile and even transferrable license, multiple activations at the same time (you can have two copies of the game activated by default) and so on. And like Parabellum said, it doesn't require you to log in every time you play... just once after installing the game, and you're done.

Martin