What will be fixed in 1.05?

Guest Guest

I also want to know about 1.05, bug fixes, etc.

But in the end what this game really needs is more high quality scenarios. The ones George Mc created are masterpieces. He truly understood this game's engine and how to create a mission design that will make the most out of it, that will make CMSF really shine. Not only they are immersive and entertaining but he avoids areas where the game is not so good.

I think if another campaign with his missions ware released everybody would realise how good the game really is. In spite of bugs, questionable design decissions, etc.

Most of the time people have this dream mission and they want to adapt that to the game engine. I have the feeling that George did just the oposite. Let's see how to best use the tools at hand!

[ November 21, 2007, 11:49 PM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Missed most of this thread earlier, partly because I'm getting to the stage where the griping is becoming to sound a tad tiresome, and I must admit I can’t be bothered with dealing with the same old same old – especially as most of the gripes have been answered. Anyways smile.gif Cheers from the guys who posted earlier for the comments relating to Hammertime. Many thanks Huntarr for the Honourary Devil Pup award! I’m deeply honou…er honoured J

Thanks Webwing for your feedback on my scenarios. I must admit I don't design around any perceived 'bugs', glitches or anything like that in the game. I build the type of scenario I am interested in using the game as is (although I am beta testing I use the version 1.04 to build scenarios - found out the hard way with an earlier version of "Hammertime" not to mix your Beta and general release versions...). Most of the time I am using situations I’ve read about both in current or recent actions, but also WWII.

The stuff I've released recently comes from two main sources. “Hammertime” is based on a map idea from one of the posters here – I think it might have been a chap called Bradley Dick – where he described having to drive along bermed roads and elevated tracks so I thought Ah Ha! "Hammertime" came from that. I wanted a rural type landscape so there we go J The other recent scenario “Rescue” is based loosely on actions that the Brits were involved in around Al Amarah (you might recognises this name as I designed a scenario that was released with the game called this based on some other stuff from the same sources), plus stuff I read about on some US blogs relating to Stryker units in action.

Thanks again for the feedback. Oh and in response to thewood’s question about the number of downloads for “Hammertime” – everytime you revise a scenario the download counter at CMMODs resets. So before it’s current version the other versions were running at 200+ to 700, now it’s at 1275 downloads with version 4. Cumulative downloads would put it at over 2000 I reckon.

Cheers fur noo

George

Just to add my tuppence worth as an ordinary punter who just plays: yes, more high quality scenarios will make this game what it really has the potential to be (once all remaining bugs are fixed, hopefully in V1.05). We already have several. Top among them, imo and others, are George Mc's Hammertime. Awesome. And the new one from The Phantom, called Return to Babadu. A total blast from start to finish.

George's Rescue, which I've not had time to complete yet, is also beautifully constructed, with some really inventive moves and skirmishes from the AI. Had to retreat with my tail between my legs three times now. Looking forward to completing it. (A couple of the best battles in the campaign were designed by George, too).

There are others of very high quality design. Hats off and beers up to all those designers. I just hope you keep 'em coming.

And George, please stop taking holidays. We need you here!

[ November 22, 2007, 03:06 AM: Message edited by: handihoc ]

1.04 is playable and there are moments of great enjoyment playing CMSF at times. But, I think one of the biggest testaments to issues still in 1.04 is how long BFC is taking to work on 1.05 and its absolute silence about it. That alone points to either some major work going on or complete abandonment (which I strongly doubt).

I think CMSF is at a cross roads right now. As Adam commented a few posts ago, it seems like the only people responding are beta testers and the few dedicated scenario builders. A lot of old timers are gone or have gone back to CM1, and few new are players posting. Just some hangers on like Adam, the Cpl, and I still hoping something like 1.05 can bring back the magic.

The only thing I disagree on is that good scenarios can still be made if the current limitations and bugs are accounted for. As much as this is supposed to be about infantry and MOUT, it does a decent job of combat in more open terrain where the grid and LOS issues are less severe. A lot of the urban scenarios look really good, but tend to show the limitations of the engine as it is today.

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

It seems like everyone on the forum but me is a beta tester! And no, before anyone asks, I'm not jealous. I have too much on my plate at the moment even if it was offered.

Seriously though, where are all the ordinary punters who just play the game?

Right now I don't have a lot of time with school and all but even when I do I don't just have to play like I did with CMx1. It has nothing to do with the subject matter but rather the execution.

I have been playing around with the editor and am working on my first scenario for this one so maybe that will bring some draw back to it for me.

As it stands now, I just wait for patches so I don't feel like I totally wasted my money.

Seriously though, where are all the ordinary punters who just play the game?
I was playing the game very regularly after 1.04 and then the idea seemed to go from 1.05 being a minor patch to a huge one that I just figured I would wait it out.

Talking with a friend last night I threw together a quick scenario that was suppose to be easy to give him an idea of the tactics, ended up spending a couple hours playing it (and getting beat at my "easy scenario") and had a wonderful time.

Hi,

I'm a noob and I'm waiting for 1.05 too. Posted a couple of times about issues I had, got a few responses, from BTF too, that's it. Waiting for them to be fixed.

So, I must say that as a noob I'm a bit intimidated by all the veterans around who seem to have developed quite an emotional rapport with BTF, the staff and the products. it almost feels like eavesdropping on a family-quarrel.

I just realized what I miss from CMSF: the crackling sound of rounds passing the sound barrier tongue.gif I just found out a couple of days ago that the cracking that I hear in combat videos is actually not the sound of the rifle being fired in the distance but the sound of the bullets busting through the sound barrier around the cameraman. how cool is that? the taliban popping corn.

massive1974,

Welcome to the forum. Please don't feel intimidated by the veterans. You have just as much right to air your views as anyone else and the forum could definitely do with some fresh blood. The place is like a grave yard at the moment! :(

Is CM:SF the first game you've tried from BFC? Have you played any of the old "Combat Mission" games? Personally I feel the nostalgia many posters have for the old CM games is misplaced. They were good in their day but they definitely look very dated now. CMx2 is the way forward IMHO despite the bugs. It is going to take a lot of work from BFC to get it just right but I am confident it can be achieved.

I haven't looked at this forum for weeks, and I must say it's a surprise to see so few CMSF threads on the first page. It's pointless going over the past because that has been and gone.

I looked at the Hammertime scenario and the thoughts I had were that the game really needed to ship with more scenarios of that kind. Although I haven't had the motivation to touch the game since downloading it it does look awesome work.

I hope 1.05 is all that everyone here waiting for it is hoping for.

Cpl Steiner,

Thanks.

Actually, I have played all of the previous CM games, my favorite was Barbarossa to Hitler's john but only because of the setting. I always had a small problem with the wego system. Thought it was too slow. So I kind of liked that they switched to RT now and enjoyed SF for a couple of weeks.

But there were a couple of things which even I noticed. On the whole I think I could live with 1.04 except i always run out of time. Not enough time for all the micromanagement. With CMx1 I just did not have the patience because there I actually had time to micromanage. With CMx2 I don't have the patience because there isn't enough time. But even that's fixable with the scenarios you people churned out and the editor. But then I have to forget the campaign.

I don't know how this forum looked like when CMx1 came out. And I don't see too many wargame forums around anyhow. I checked out matrix's forum on CCModern Tactics. Now that's DEAD.

I haven't played CMSF in about a month. Lost interest totally. Very sad about it as it was good while it lasted but it went stale very very quickly.

All I can do is wait for a patch and if that does not give CMSF a shot in the arm that's me finished. Not going to buy any of the modules nor any future products without a severe scrutiny first.

Rollstoy, dalem,

Don't get me wrong, I loved all the CMx1 games and they were definitely implemented better than CM:SF (i.e. less bugs). All I'm saying is that when I booted up CM:AK a few weeks ago for the first time in ages I was struck by how primitive and dated the graphics looked. I think when you play a game regularly you get used to things like the graphics. The gameplay compensates for it. However, if you return to the game after a long absence, these things are more noticeable. I don't think I could go back to CMx1 now.

Rollstoy, dalem,

Don't get me wrong, I loved all the CMx1 games and they were definitely implemented better than CM:SF (i.e. less bugs). All I'm saying is that when I booted up CM:AK a few weeks ago for the first time in ages I was struck by how primitive and dated the graphics looked. I think when you play a game regularly you get used to things like the graphics. The gameplay compensates for it. However, if you return to the game after a long absence, these things are more noticeable. I don't think I could go back to CMx1 now.

Oh that's a completely reasonable position, I agree. For me and people like me, the graphics simply aren't the most important aspect, but I suspect that in the computer gaming world we are a pretty small portion and getting smaller.

-dale

Seriously though, where are all the ordinary punters who just play the game? [/QB]

I think there are lurkers (like me) just watching the threads. Maybe the game isn't so dead as it looks like?

Just a qustion (I hope anybody could answer this) - are there plans to implement 1.05 patch into polish version? I was really surprised when I discovered no 1.04 patch available here was fitting to my version. Lucky me I was able to find polish patch on polish distributor page.

But... will I be lucky again?

Cpl Steiner: I have to agree with you here. I too, love the CMx1 games but after playing CM:SF for a few months I find that I can't go back to playing them either.

I would be surprised if most of you haven't at least seen Aegod's American Civil War game. It is a real board wargame and the graphics are simply stunning. After playing the demo a couple of times, I find the older 'board' wargames lack appeal because the graphics are lacking. Other examples could include EU2 and EU3, Civ3 and Civ4 etc... the latter versions not necessarily better games but they sure make them look bad.

Good graphics are important but they are FAR from my first priority in playing a game. The graphics benchmark for a good board wargame has now been raised and it's hard to play something that's not so pretty. The same goes for the CM series, at least for me...

BTW, I bought and played CMBO when it was released without any of the patches and enjoyed it immensely, so much so that I eagerly grabbed CMBB when it came out. It was only after a few months that I visited the Battlefront website and found patches for the game. So, for a long time, I got a huge amount of pleasure from playing the out-of-the-box versions of these two games without any complaints.

CM:SF wasn't pretty out of the box and definitely needed patching to make it playable. I'm quite happy to wait as long as it takes to get a really good 1.05 patch because CM:SF 1.04 is very playable just now.

Personally I feel the nostalgia many posters have for the old CM games is misplaced. They were good in their day but they definitely look very dated now.

I think your missing the point. When I (and many other here it seems) first started playing CMx1, I was blown away by the game. It was just plain brilliant. After playing it for 5 yrs, it kinda gets old, but I have never played any game for that amount of time. THTAS what I remember from CMx1, the brilliance of th egame.

Then CMSF come along, and it "bleh". The reviews are most ofte mediocre at best for a very good reason.

Simply, CMSF cant hold a candle to CMx1 in terms of how much the different games impressed me when they were released. Who cares how CMSF looks when we cant be bothered to play it due to its design flaws and bugs. If CMSF represent the future, its a bleak future indeed.