If only this new game were called anything but Combat Mission...

Guest BigAlMoho

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Mord:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BigAlMoho:

is not a statement of fact, it is an expression of emotion... Unless this love he is talking about is absolute,

Oh, it is. I proposed a little while ago...we are looking at a fall wedding. And with a little luck, and some heavy petting, come spring we will be blessed with a bundle of little combat mission joys...Love is grand!

Mord. </font>So that's why they put holes in CDs.

I would actually go so far as to say that "Master of Puppets" is one of the finest guitar pieces that metal has produced.

Mmmmm. I figured that out note-for-note when I was a kid (with the help of a very tolerant teacher) and, apart from the output of Jimi and Mr. Vaughn, I don't think any piece of music has hurt as much. smile.gif

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Ah, me thinks people are going to hard on St. Anger, especially when compared to 99.9% of the other "metal" out there (which is complete trash).

Ahh, that would be because a lot of stuff labeled metal isn't true metal...lots of kick ass traditional type stuff coming out of Europe and the American Underground...Seven Witches, Distant Thunder, Jag Panzer, Paragon, Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian to name a VERY few. Great stuff! No radio play though...at least here.

Saw them on the Justice tour, but lost all interest in seeing bands live after that due to expense and general hassle factor.

Let me guess? Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, March 30th, 1989?

I was there. I got stomped on so much I had foot prints on my jeans the next day...nice pit...

Now you want to talk about a band that fumbled and didn't recover... Pink Floyd, now there's a sad story!

Steve

No argument here.

Mord.

Phillip,

Mmmmm. I figured that out note-for-note when I was a kid (with the help of a very tolerant teacher) and, apart from the output of Jimi and Mr. Vaughn, I don't think any piece of music has hurt as much.
I cut my teeth transcribing Kill 'Em All, then moved on in order :D I hit my peak with Dead Brain Cells, which was even more difficult to play. That's when I found out why most great metal guitarists have pretty muscular arms. A couple hours of playing DBC left my right arm in ruins. Fun stuff though :D

Mord,

No... Centrum in Wooostah!

No argument here.
Saying that Pink Floyd sucks without Waters is almost a statement of fact. Saying that Pink Floyd without Waters is not Pink Floyd... that IS A FACT tongue.gif

Steve

I hit my peak with Dead Brain Cells, which was even more difficult to play. That's when I found out why most great metal guitarists have pretty muscular arms. A couple hours of playing DBC left my right arm in ruins. Fun stuff though :D

There's a blast from the past...I had one of their tapes but can't remember which one...They were in my Tankard, Uncle Slam, Dr. Know phase so it's kinda shadowy...forgot all about them.

Mord,

No... Centrum in Wooostah!

That's a wee hike...Portland's closer man!

Originally posted by Battlefront.com: Saying that Pink Floyd sucks without Waters is almost a statement of fact. Saying that Pink Floyd without Waters is not Pink Floyd... that IS A FACT tongue.gif

Steve [/qb]

Yeah..it's more like a Violet Floyd...or maybe Scarlet...definitely not Pink!

Mord.

This fellow is just being a troll don't feed him. It never ceases to amaze me that people will get a bug up their butt about something then instead of just not spending their money on a product they have to try to come around and trash it. Of course its under the guise of really loving the product so much they want it to be "fixed".

Mord,

That's a wee hike...Portland's closer man!
Not when you live outside of Boston. Yup, I am From Away :D Though I did not have a choice where I was raised, I did have a choice what to do about it after I realized my parent's mistake. Plus, discharging a MG-42 generally gets a SWAT Team scrambled down that way, and that kinda takes the fun out of it.

Steve

Mord,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />That's a wee hike...Portland's closer man!

Not when you live outside of Boston. Yup, I am From Away :D Though I did not have a choice where I was raised, I did have a choice what to do about it after I realized my parent's mistake. Plus, discharging a MG-42 generally gets a SWAT Team scrambled down that way, and that kinda takes the fun out of it.

Steve </font>

I played the demo only and thought it was close enough to combat mission. I am still waiting for another patch before I dish out any money, have to see what it fixed.

It is interesting to see the bitching about "troops not entering buildings correctly" or "walking through walls", hey its a one to one representation that has been abstacted to a large degree. But people "see it" and think something is wrong. I think it will be very hard to correct too, to make each individual soldier act like "real people", will be very hard, but hey I am no programmer, so maybe it can be done.

I just hope to see in latter patches and versions more choices, and not watered down choices. I would like an option to turn 1-1 off and got to purely abstract representation, I would like to see WEGO included for TCIP, a "follow me" order added, multi-play WEGO for TCIP with some kind of Command relationship built in, bring back the Quick Battle Points System (seems like it would be easy to do and adding this one thing would make a lot of people very happy, even if the points system is "off" people will make it work), infantry that surrender again, in other words allow as much choice as possible, then everyone can play CM2 the way they prefer. I know you guys are working very hard to fix the worst problems in CMSF, and it is my hope that future releases will include more of the older CMSF "options" while expanding the choices already available. This should increase the appeal of the game to all groups, and that means more sales.

I would like to ask a question, how much work is it to "make / program" each vehicle into the game? The reason I ask is with the old CM the player had lots of different vehicles to chose from, and I am concerned that maybe BF has made vehicle modeling so detailed it will be a huge amount of work to include the numbers of different vehicles from World War II, which is what I am really waiting for.

Last question, when do you guys think the 3.0 patch will be released?

[ August 30, 2007, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: Zemke ]

Originally posted by Melnibone:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BigAlMoho:

In my opinion, there would have been very little controversy if the title had made it clear that this release is an entirely new game

Yes they should have called it "Mario goes bananas in Syria" and released it on the Wii - then I'm sure it would have been all sweetness and light in these forums. </font>

Holy Macaulay Culkin!!!

I never actually thought that there's a direct link between Metallica and the CM series but now, reading Steve's posts...

Dig this: I grew up in Ceausescu's Romania listening to Master and Justice...How's that for hardcore Weltanschauung.

I used to think that anything from Justice for all...on was sth else. Not Metallica. Then i saw the Some kind of Metal Whining Therapy and my genuine affection came back for these guys. I mean it's the same people who made all that great stuff. They're only human.

I think CMSF should be called CM:Kill'em All. Simple, to the point.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Mord:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Ah, me thinks people are going to hard on St. Anger, especially when compared to 99.9% of the other "metal" out there (which is complete trash).

Ahh, that would be because a lot of stuff labeled metal isn't true metal...lots of kick ass traditional type stuff coming out of Europe and the American Underground...Seven Witches, Distant Thunder, Jag Panzer, Paragon, Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian to name a VERY few. Great stuff! No radio play though...at least here.

Saw them on the Justice tour, but lost all interest in seeing bands live after that due to expense and general hassle factor.

Let me guess? Cumberland County Civic Center, Portland, March 30th, 1989?

I was there. I got stomped on so much I had foot prints on my jeans the next day...nice pit...

Now you want to talk about a band that fumbled and didn't recover... Pink Floyd, now there's a sad story!

Steve

No argument here.

Mord. </font>

I had a ticket for Blind Guardian but couldn't make it (missed Celtic Frost too!)...I was bummed...I only had one band after them (Virgin Steele) and I would've wrapped up a must see list I'd made back in 2002.

Last show I saw was Gamma Ray.

I haven't heard Persuader (maybe one song on a label site, not sure) or Savage Circus. I LOVE Falconer...Thy Majastie is ok, Morifade is not bad, I really like Dark Images. I like Balance Of Power a lot as well as Tad Morose and Brainstorm, to name a few.

What I am hoping beyond hope is that Crimson Glory puts out that new album with Midnight and plays a show where I can see it!

Mord.

Ah, me thinks people are going to hard on St. Anger, especially when compared to 99.9% of the other "metal" out there (which is complete trash). Puppets was definitely their best (in my opinion ;) ). And to date myself... I got Ride the Lightning when it was only out for a few months :D Saw them on the Justice tour, but lost all interest in seeing bands live after that due to expense and general hassle factor.

Steve

Ah, Metallica. I loved those guys in the 80ies. Master of Puppets was the second LP I bought in my life (first was Slayer - Reign in Blood). Nowadays, I don't listen to Metallica much anymore, I lost interest after the black album.

Pink Floyd. I have been a massive fan of them since I was 12. But I mean the real PF (up until the Final Cut). The line up without Waters never did much for me. Momentary Lapse of Reason was u huge dissappointment and I never bothered since. I especially love the early days of the band, just after Syd left the band. Saucerful of secrets, Atom Heart Mother, Umma Gumma, Meddle.

Waters was right in the 80ies, Pink Floyd was no Pink Floyd anymore without Waters. Waters solo is not bad either; the 'In the flesh' DVD is really excellent and no Floyd fan should miss out on that puppy!

All in my humble opinion.

Originally posted by Zemke:

I played the demo only and thought it was close enough to combat mission. I am still waiting for another patch before I dish out any money, have to see what it fixed.

It is interesting to see the bitching about "troops not entering buildings correctly" or "walking through walls", hey its a one to one representation that has been abstacted to a large degree. But people "see it" and think something is wrong. I think it will be very hard to correct too, to make each individual soldier act like "real people", will be very hard, but hey I am no programmer, so maybe it can be done.

I just hope to see in latter patches and versions more choices, and not watered down choices. I would like an option to turn 1-1 off and got to purely abstract representation, I would like to see WEGO included for TCIP, a "follow me" order added, multi-play WEGO for TCIP with some kind of Command relationship built in, bring back the Quick Battle Points System (seems like it would be easy to do and adding this one thing would make a lot of people very happy, even if the points system is "off" people will make it work), infantry that surrender again, in other words allow as much choice as possible, then everyone can play CM2 the way they prefer. I know you guys are working very hard to fix the worst problems in CMSF, and it is my hope that future releases will include more of the older CMSF "options" while expanding the choices already available. This should increase the appeal of the game to all groups, and that means more sales.

I would like to ask a question, how much work is it to "make / program" each vehicle into the game? The reason I ask is with the old CM the player had lots of different vehicles to chose from, and I am concerned that maybe BF has made vehicle modeling so detailed it will be a huge amount of work to include the numbers of different vehicles from World War II, which is what I am really waiting for.

This is the best post of the thread, in my opinion.

I wonder if those important questions will get an answer.