Oh poo, now I'm going to boycott BFC & join Taskforce Zarqavi (cont'd)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by V:

Let me get something straight, is the WW2 game going to be a module to add on to CM:SF or will it be a stand alone product?

People can't seem to get this straight. CM:SF is a stand alone game with add-on modules with more/different forces/features to follow the release. The second complete stand-alone game will be NWE with its own modules to follow its release. The only thing they have in common is the engine.

Originally posted by V:

Let me get something straight, is the WW2 game going to be a module to add on to CM:SF or will it be a stand alone product?

Stand alone.

So, you have this engine known as CMx2. The first two titles will be Shock Forces and The Son of Beyond Overlord.

For Shock Forces, the initial release will feature elements of a Stryker Brigade. The modules for that will be all set to Syria in 2007, like US Marines addon or pro-Syrian Space Lobsters addon.

The Son of Beyond Overlord's initial release will have some US army forces, and followed by modules bringing in other branches/allies for the theater.

Originally posted by V:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

I thought something more "neutral" like Germany 85 or somesuch would have sat better, but, BFC obviously feel there's a stronger market for a current ME game.

But that was 20 years ago.</font>

Originally posted by Steiner14:

2. The story: sorry, but Syria is one of the most hatred countries by Israel. The jews will do everything, to throw it down. And that means, USrael will fight and bleed for it...

'The Jews?' How about the 'Israeli's?'

I'm not too into politically correct speech, but come on, that just sounds terrible.

So to me this setting, that the ZOGs (US, NATO) would fight for one of the last really free and independent countries, is simply ridiculous.

An invasion in Syria to install a ZOG, that could be a realistic setting.

Syria is free?

the US is big and in Germany it is HUGE.

i.e.: everyone i know is happy, that the US are bleeding that much in Iraq. Most people i know, have big respect for the Iraqi freedom fighters. All people i know were happy that hurricane Katrina hit the USA and not another country (me included).

Most people you know are terrible, hate filled people if they were 'happy' about the hurricane and they are pretty naive if they have 'big respect' for the insurgency.

Calling them Freedom Fighters is akin to calling the Nazi's 'liberators.'

So I guess if BF.C wants to tap into the German market they will have to make CM:CB Combat Mission: Car Bombing.(trademark)

Lot's of fun to be had driving your fully armed Mujahideen Martyr up to a humvee surrounded by Iraqi kids gathering candy from American soldiers and detonating it, taking out scores of kids to kill one American...

"Im not sure what operations have to do with it but I believe Steve posted previously as to what can be modded but form a graphical point of view modders should have more flexability than they had previously. For instance weapons that previously had a single color such as mortars will now be textured individually for instance, vehicles should allow for multiple camo schemes on the type of vehicle and not be mirrored, etc."

Operations were a large part of "modding", if we're not limiting it to putting textures on models.

I just don't see how modding that we came to know from CMx1 can be carried over into CMx2 with it's modular and very narrow approach.

But, as I said before, we shall see.

Originally posted by Sirocco:

Operations were a large part of "modding", if we're not limiting it to putting textures on models.

Well I think we are using different terms here...Operations were part of creating scenarios form my point of view where 'modding' to me has always referring to altering the in game graphics.

The later I can give you info on but youll have to ask Steve about the former smile.gif

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Sirocco:

Well I think we are using different terms here...Operations were part of creating scenarios form my point of view where 'modding' to me has always referring to altering the in game graphics.

The later I can give you info on but youll have to ask Steve about the former smile.gif

Dan </font>

Originally posted by Hoolaman:

Unless BFC's textures are rubbish, standardised modern US army in the Mid-East is only ever going to be changed to standard US army in the Mid-East + dust.

There are vehicles both with desert paint schemes and regular green paint, so it shouldn't be completely monotonous. Plus, you can always mod battle damage like charred streaks down an Abram's glacis caused by a glancing blow from an RPG.

I am an American and I have never done anything to any of you guys. I have been listening to anti-American crying last night and today and from soddball for a couple of years. I spoke up. If you don't like it to bad. I said my piece and I stand by it. I edited girly-man because I don’t think some of you (if your not from the states) know what I was referencing. Sodball called me out but I am sure you noticed that and because I am American it is ok with you.

Let's see whether we can get this clear:

Objection to the war in Iraq =/= anti-American.

Dislike of a hypothetical Syrian invasion wargame =/= anti-American.

I am not anti-American.

I've already said I will give the demo a go and withhold judgement on the game until I've played it. I also analysed who I thought would be the keen purchasers and who would not be so keen. Any problem you have with that is your problem, not mine.

[ October 09, 2005, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: Soddball ]

on another board someone put your finger on what makes me uneasy about moderns in general. Essentially if you look at warfare as history "killing" people is abstracted to modelling the ways things were. Improving your generalship against what happened.

Here in particular we are being asked to kill people of another race/religion in a country whilst already in the act of doing so now. I feel relieved now that I have fingered the unease factor.

I will not buy the game. I dread to think of the general publics view on this when it hits the general press. Having said that there are already some pretty objectionable games out but this is world political also.

Some more comments from me:

1) Remember that Battlefront had, once upon a time, actually applied for the trademark "Operation Iraqi Freedom". It's anyone's guess if this game started out as a possible recreation to the Iraq Conflict or not, it's at any rate too close to it for many, or so it seems from the forum comments.

2) Togehter with the second post in this thread, I too would like more information about timing and cost of modules.

Hypothetically...BFC releases "Situation Farfetched" for PC, then anounces the next module to be US Marines and the one to follow Eurocorps Units (German, Swedish, British or whatever).

Now, if a single module takes two or three months to develop, then those members here who would rather play something else than an US Centric campaign could have "their game" within half a year later. That would be sound. If the first module happened to be something else then US Marines, even better.

But if a single module takes like 6 months to develop and test, and the "Euro" modules are not #1 on the list, then those who want something else than US are looking at 1 year+ for their actual "modules".

Now, of course, anyone is free to say "Don't like it, don't buy it". But it should be understood that you have many people here who waited 2+ years for the final announcement on CMx2, and those people sure have a right to be a little displeased.

Originally posted by RSColonel_131st:

Now, of course, anyone is free to say "Don't like it, don't buy it". But it should be understood that you have many people here who waited 2+ years for the final announcement on CMx2, and those people sure have a right to be a little displeased.

But do they have a right to be dickweeds about it?

-dale