British Javelin Video

Been a while since I've posted a combat vid. British forces using Javelin in Iraq

*******HARSH LANGUAGE WARNING - DO NOT CLICK IF EASILY OFFENDED******

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=815_1185121805

Nuff said about the language, people say some intense things under stress or anger (though that was an especially colorful few sentences for such a short clip). Anyways, interesting to note that this shot was a longer one than I recall from other vids, maybe the target was a lot further away or the missile had to arc higher? Not sure if they can do that.

Originally posted by Zebulon Pleasure Beast:

Wait...you link us a video showing a missile and an explosion and attempt to ensure that a viewer does not get traumatized by the language involved in projecting death & destruction.

Surely I cannot be the only one who finds these priorities a bit strange.

It's about official moral standards in certain countries. Swearing and nakedness is outrageous, devastating for young people especially. Killing however, is not...

Sad.

Wait...you link us a video showing a missile and an explosion and attempt to ensure that a viewer does not get traumatized by the language involved in projecting death & destruction.

Surely I cannot be the only one who finds these priorities a bit strange.

You're preaching to the choir, buddy -- I also feel that here in the US, there is an awful double standard regarding violence versus nudity/bad language. I think nudity is fine, and should not be lumped in the same category as the other two.

Unfortunately, we are in the minority, and while that clip doesn't really show any graphic violence (even the explosion is blurry), the language is pretty clear, and I've seen people here complain before.

Originally posted by Zebulon Pleasure Beast:

The video has all the violence of a low budget fireworks show. I'm sure if the video actually contained any sort of graphic violence, he would have warned us about that as well.

Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

You're preaching to the choir, buddy -- I also feel that here in the US, there is an awful double standard regarding violence versus nudity/bad language. I think nudity is fine, and should not be lumped in the same category as the other two.

So... you'd like to see naked soldiers?

Hey now Billy, you must be new, I post vids all the time here. I used to post them sans disclaimer, but someone else posted some links that were controversial, and got the thread locked, so from here on, I'm going to warn on language, because I like my threads in a nice un-locked state.

Also, considering we are playing a war game, I'm not so worried about violence.

I don't make the rules, I just abide by them.

Very cool Javelin video. Let's hear it for our English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh brothers, go get them, lads! smile.gif

Zebulon Pleasure Beast: That's because killing these terrorist scum is an honorable, good and wholesome thing. Whereas the foul language, while quite understandable under combat stress, is not exactly edifying.

The topic of priorities reminds of a recent horror movie anecdote. The director's cut went up for its rating. There's a scene where a woman bathes in human blood. It got a PG-13 rating. If they had left the 2 second scene in where she touched her nipple while bathing in human blood it would've got a hard R.

But about the video - oh, THAT Javelin! Didn't Britaiin field an old shoulder-fired AA missile named Javelin a few decades back? I tried googling the topic and just got Brit Alcoholic Anonymous sites ;)

Originally posted by Capt. Toleran:

Hey now Billy, you must be new, I post vids all the time here. I used to post them sans disclaimer, but someone else posted some links that were controversial, and got the thread locked, so from here on, I'm going to warn on language, because I like my threads in a nice un-locked state.

Also, considering we are playing a war game, I'm not so worried about violence.

I don't make the rules, I just abide by them.

Toleran, I think you misunderstood my post. I was defending the way you set it up - there isn't any graphic violence, so there needn't be a warning for it.

Ah, but isn't Striker different from Stryker?

Adding to the fun, the British Army, until recently, operated a "Striker" based on the CVR(T) (Scorpion) chassis. It was an ATGM wagon, with a nice little trick of being able to fire from full defilade with the sight dismounted and some distance from the vehicle.

I always find it angry when shooter game servers will kick you for bad words or even apply a filter. IMO swearing should be much lower level of filtration than violencve, therefore all realistic violent games should have swearing allowed on all servers regardless of owner.

Originally posted by PLM2:

I always find it angry when shooter game servers will kick you for bad words or even apply a filter. IMO swearing should be much lower level of filtration than violencve, therefore all realistic violent games should have swearing allowed on all servers regardless of owner.

Totally agree it's a screwed up set of priorities. Like watching ABC Family Channel and the put the raunchiest shows on there during primetime, with a couple of swear words edited out.