Over there

Nicdain

Maybe a little bit off topic, but not so much: has anybody seen the tv series "Over there" about Iraq war? Here in Italy it was not broadcasted by any TV, so I had news about the series only from a friend in Holland who saw the DVD in a store. Is it something like "Band of Brothers" 60 years later? Is it accurate and faithful?

Thanks in advance

Over There is like a bad Oliver Stone script set in Iraq.

The story lines had nothing to do with Iraq and seemed like old, re-hashed, Vietnam era plots in a middle east country with US troops.

I had high hopes for it and ended up being very disappointed.

Every OIF Vet I talked to about it stopped watching after the second episode.

Originally posted by rogue187:

Tour of Duty is still memorable since it had the Rolling Stones song "Paint it Black" as the theme song.

I loved Tour of duty!

It was brilliant sort of an ICON of the Vietnam TV war series (sort of) Paint it Black is of course foreve etched in mind with the opening of that series.

smile.gif

I was not so impressed with what little of "Over There" I saw.

I would say it is NOT worth buying.

I mindless time waster at best. IMHO

The problem was the show's creators/producers etc. must have no idea what is actually going on "over there".

There are enough real storylines, plots, emotions, etc.. from Iraq to make a decade worth of episodes.

But they used old plots/storylines and the worst cliches that have nothing at all to do with Iraq.

Even the title "Over There" is old (WW1) lingo.

Today we would say "Down Range" when trying to say "in Iraq".

The show really pissed me off because it could have been good, it had a lot of potential.

I LOVED the Rat Patrol as a kid, I guess I'll have to check it out from Netflix. But then again... I have such warm memories of 2 jeeps with 30/50 Cals taking on the entire Afrika Corps and beating the snot out of them... watching it now may ruin that!

I've heard consistently positive comments about Tour of Duty. And I'd been shocked if Over There was good... I wasn't shocked.

I watched the first episode of The Unit and was deeply disappointed. Just full of cliches and US machismo. Like something from the seventies taking itself far too seriously.

Did anyone ever see an Aussie tv series called Vietnam, or Nam or something similar back in the eighties or early nineties? It hung around a young Aussie conscript's experience in Nam, and his inability to readjust to life back home. Co-starred a very young, still red-haired Nicole Kidman as his sister, way before superstardom.I think she was about 19. Very good series, moving and disturbing.

And yeah, I remember Rat Patrol as a kid. Had a great theme tune, as I recall (though I can't actually remember it now).

[ September 08, 2007, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: handihoc ]

Unfortunately, if you have never seen the original Tour of Duty then you will be sadly disappointed by the DVD. The F$%^@# :mad: couldn't get the music from the original show so they used musaic. (elevator synthesized crap) When you hear “Paint it Black” on retarded Casio 14” keyboard you may just puke. That was a crying shame with that DVD release. :( It had by far probably the best music of a TV show ever next to Miami Vice of course.