PBEM is still broken in 1.07

GSX

I also thought I'd throw this out there...

I am in a PBEM with another player right now and the first time he sent me a large file (which I believe was for the beginning of turn 1) the game crashed while loading. Going back and looking at the file size and comparing it to the file size listed in the email, I realized that the file had not completely downloaded. I tried downloading the file several more times and every time the download cut off before completely finishing. This was using Internet Explorer.

I tried downloading the turn again in Firefox... Problem solved!! It downloads fine every time in Firefox, but only partially downloads in IE, although I haven't been able to pinpoint why this is.

Also, just for reference, I am using Gmail for my email account.

Also, to the guys who are zipping the files... have you noticed any real difference in file size when compressing? I tried zipping up a turn file that was around 10.7 megs and using maximum compression it only reduced to about 10.3 megs.

Hardly worth the effort IMO...

I'm using Mozilla Firefox as well and sometimes Gmail when the files are huge, but so far the files seems small to zip and send by attachment with the email. I don't use IE at all.

As for zipping the files, its just a force of habit on zipping the files when sending them as an attachment with email.

Check the file size you were sent against the file size you dl'd... If they are different you have a server file size limit. I use Gmail which allows larger files than your email account may. Also virus scanners may require you to zip your files....Mine does not. These are the places to look first. I play PBEM daily without trouble. But if you are so certain that PBEM is broken here's how to test: Setup a PBEM game, play both sides by moving the outgoing save file to incoming (thus avoiding your server) and continue playing that way. See if you can get PBEM to crash. If you cannot, take the files and send them to yourself. Dl the files and check file size sent against file size dl'd. In this way you can control and check all aspects of the PBEM engine.

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

Check the file size you were sent against the file size you dl'd...

Yes, I would suggest this too. I have played maybe 1/2 dozen PBEMs since 1.02 and have never actually experience this type of crash due to an engine problem. I have experienced it though when I managed to zip up the turn before it had been completely written to the hard drive, which isnt hard to do due to the larger file size.

If we could have the turn sent to us Charles will be able to take it apart and sort out just what is the case either way though.

Dan

The data is pretty much fully compressed, so zipping or raring won't decrease the file size any. However, it does make it less likely to get munged along the way. The ZIP and RAR formats are understood by the various bits of software between sender and receiver, which means there is a lot less chance for something to get chewed up and spat out wrong along the way.

I don't know much about how mail servers and what not work, but my impression is that they are a LOT more invasive these days due to viruses and SPAM.

Best way to test to see if the file is corrupt is to have the sending player try loading it on his end. If it loads (obviously he shouldn't be trying to play it ;) ) then it's a pretty sure bet there was a transmission error. Or of course a resend should work, unless whatever screwed up the file first time is one of your ISPs was to blame, in which case the problem might be repeated again.

Steve

Thanks for the advice. Here is my problem.

The crash happens when I go to save it, as it did before. So I watch the movie, make my moves and then go to save and blammo - thats the screen I get.

It seems to happen each time after the action starts.

As for file size issues, my mail server allows me quite large downloads, certainly larger than the file size generated in this one.

I will send the file to BF again and wait.

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Possibly a “out of left field” solution but I use the built in FTP site that is part of my .Mac subscription to get around these pesky email attachment issues.

Similar to what I do, I have a some web space as part of my ISP package so I give my oppos the ftp details.

Works very well, and AFAIK it's quite usual to get that kind of deal. If anyone's having trouble it might be worth checking if they're entitled to some space.

Originally posted by Other Means:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by gibsonm:

Possibly a “out of left field” solution but I use the built in FTP site that is part of my .Mac subscription to get around these pesky email attachment issues.

Similar to what I do, I have a some web space as part of my ISP package so I give my oppos the ftp details.

Works very well, and AFAIK it's quite usual to get that kind of deal. If anyone's having trouble it might be worth checking if they're entitled to some space. </font>