Damage textures

This has probably been touched on before, but having seen some of the nice looking destroyed vehicle screen shots in TOW, it got me wondering how viable decal placed hits on AFVs would be in the future of CMX2? Would it put much stress on the Vid card compared to having a completely destroyed texture set? Is it possible?

And on a finer note, I'd like to see (at least as far as a WWII game) crews left where they are killed. If guys are shot manning a Wespe, leave them on the Wespe...or inside. Leave them where they drop. It's kinda weird looking when some dudes are shot up in a vehicle (like the Pick up) and they just disappear off the map.

NOTE: I never said the word blood so lets nix the flying limbs and spurting guts whinefest before it starts.

Mord.

LOL. Never mentioned charred corpses either...but these shots sure look good...couldn't find many vehicle pics with holes but there are a few.

crazysherman2my6.jpg

deathzp7ca3.jpg

fdcli92mb0b468epw0.jpg

sdkfz7aachauffeurtu6gj5kd8.jpg

sdkfz7aadtruitgerbesyj7wo0.jpg

113dq8.jpg

183rg0.jpg

These aftermath pics tell as much of the story as what the player saw as it happened. I'd love to see this kinda detail in CMX2 WWII.

Mord.

I tried the demo back when it first came out and it wasn't for me...I just missed too much playing in RT. Seems the game has it's hardcore fans like CM, so you could ask those guys.

The screens are from the screen shot thread on the TOW boards.

Mord.

I bought the game when it was released. It's been much improved with updates, especially the latest. The vehicle damage modelling is spectacular, it's true. In battle you see bits flying off as the vehicle takes hits. It'd be great to see that in CMSF.

Graphically fabulous, though with limited variation in terms of landscape - Russia very similar to W Europe, not a lot of variation in trees/foliage etc.

It's a great game overall, very atmospheric. Some of the gameplay can still be a bit niggling, though - it annoys me that heavy vehicles just knock over trees with impunity, never even bothering to go around them. Reminds me of that monster in Lost, that you never see, just see the jungle shaking and tumbling. The trees then disappear, as if by magic. Seems like a lazy programmer's way around pathfinding issues.

And there can be a lot of micro-management involved in getting inf to pick up and use appropriate weapons. There were problems with multiplay - don't know if that's been sorted. And you still can't enter buildings.

When SF arrived, I found myself abandoning TOW. There's something grittier and more real about SF. I had great fun with TOW, and will probably go back at some point, but SF is the one I turn to instinctively and get the fullest immersion factor from - at least for now.

[ March 08, 2008, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: handihoc ]

The two worst things I found about ToW from a graphics/damage point of view were:

1. A tracked vehicle that is hit / destroyed losses all of its track. Have a look at the pics above and there is no track link running out either in front or behind the vehicle (or remaining intact - not every hit knocks all the track off and none makes it disappear).

2. The vehicles seemed to have an invisible “damage zone“ around them. If you drove to close to something (not actually hit it) it would knock it down or collapse it.

I tried putting a Panther beside a wall for some protection by if it was within about 3m of it, it would knock the wall down instead. Or you can drive through a grove of tress and knock down trees on either side cutting a swatch far wider than the vehicle actually is.

Anyway its now back on the shelf (for these and a swag of other reasons).

Looks like I actually derailed my own thread with the TOW comparison...

The original damage texture question still begs an answer though...would decals be viable or would they run down the processor?

Dan? Steve? Anybody?

Mord.

I recall waaaaay back when Steve was first discussing the upcoming *unknown* initial CMx2 game he hinted there were plans to include individual bullet holes from small arms fire. I can only guess it's not 'game engine' limitations that nixed the idea but the currents state of PC hardware. 400 soldiers fighting eachother on a map, all firing automatic weapons. That's a LOT of potential bullet holes to keep track of!

Yeah, that's killer news!

And also why I wasn't too upset when CMSF came first. I knew the new engine was gonna take a while to get things in and would much rather wait to get my WWII fix.

My fingers are crossed for fire spreading too.

Mord.

[ March 12, 2008, 04:45 PM: Message edited by: Mord ]

Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

You should have seen some big pines trees I have knocked over with my tank smile.gif Splinters were flying everywhere. I wouldnt try that with an oak for example

I knocked over a 30 to 40 foot pine with my track once and it fell on top of the vehicle. We had to tie it off to another tree and drive out from under it. Good thing I was driving because I would have kicked my driver for doing something like that. :D

Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by M1A1TankCommander:

You should have seen some big pines trees I have knocked over with my tank smile.gif Splinters were flying everywhere. I wouldnt try that with an oak for example

I knocked over a 30 to 40 foot pine with my track once and it fell on top of the vehicle. We had to tie it off to another tree and drive out from under it. Good thing I was driving because I would have kicked my driver for doing something like that. :D </font>

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

We are indeed looking at improving the damage effects of vehicles in particular. As Mord and others have pointed out, TOW has a lot of great stuff going on there.

Steve

That would be great!