MGS WONT RELOAD IT'S MAIN GUN AUTOMATICALLY UNTILL SHOOT OFF MACHINE GUN BULLETS

Report back from the testing front!

The current behavior of the MGS is a bug, but it is a bug that I want to keep in place until we have a chance to alter the TacAI's behavior. Here's the problem...

The MGS has a very small amount of ammo, as has been discussed. Generally one shot from the main gun is all you want and all you need to take care of a target. This is because the accuracy is so good and the blast effect generally pretty devistating. Firing additional rounds at the same target is almost always overkill. Because there are so few rounds available, overkill is something the MGS can not afford to engage in.

If the bug is fixed, right now, the MGS will keep firing until you tell it to stop. For WeGo people this means something like 4-6 rounds expended before you get a chance to shut it down, for RealTime people it means babysitting the vehicle so you can Clear Target before it fires another round. Neither is a good thing IMHO and worse than what we have now. So until we can come up with some better logic (and it is NOT easy to do that, no matter how easy it appears to be to you guys) I think the bug should stay.

Having said that, what do you guys think?

Steve

Well, that's what I thought for the last 6 months too! Then a few weeks ago I mentioned to Chalres that the autoloader was taking its sweet time to reload and that's when I found out the "great logic" that myself, and the testers, are so fond of was a boo-boo. Happens sometimes :D

BTW, the TacAI is programmed to be a Scrooge, but only after the ammo gets way down (6 rounds or so?!?). Which means that if Chalres fixes the bug the MGS would happily pound out 12 rounds (or so) before slowing down if the player left it unattended. That's just not a good thing!

Steve

I agree completely with leaving the MGS "Target" order as is.

It would be nice if we could do something similar with the tanks: "Target" expends too much ammo and "Target light" does not pack enough punch. An intermediate order where it fires one round and then switches to MG fire would be welcome.

"I gotta say the Stryker looks like a candidate."

I understand a standing joke when Stryker first deployed to iraq was that the crews preferred the vehicle with the slat cage, because with the cage attached it tends to only roll halfway over. smile.gif

I've seen video of MGS firing its gun broadside with very little rocking. But I'd bet money they fired a HE round not a full charge APFSDS round.

And about the MGS ammo. Yes, one piece steel case, all new production (no old reserve 105mm stocks) produced in Belgium, I believe by Mecar.

Charles was able to add some logic when shooting at walls so that it is treated like a vehicle instead of an inanimate object. Meaning, when the wall is knocked down the vehicle will automatically Cease Fire. This happens with buildings already, but I still think it isn't good enough. Generally one main gun round is enough to do what you want, more risks knocking the building down. That might be a bad idea for either tactical or ammo conservation reasons.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Well, that's what I thought for the last 6 months too! Then a few weeks ago I mentioned to Chalres that the autoloader was taking its sweet time to reload and that's when I found out the "great logic" that myself, and the testers, are so fond of was a boo-boo. Happens sometimes :D

BTW, the TacAI is programmed to be a Scrooge, but only after the ammo gets way down (6 rounds or so?!?). Which means that if Chalres fixes the bug the MGS would happily pound out 12 rounds (or so) before slowing down if the player left it unattended. That's just not a good thing!

Steve

Yeah~ I agree with you,but what about the syria's T-72(in has the same problem)?