WEGO vs REAL TIME: Pre-release poll

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm leaning towards WeGo. As Lt Bull said Wego has its advantages, Two most important for me are time needed to act on a plan and the replay to see all aspects of the battlefield. While you can get good enough in RT to act intellegently under time constraints, since there is no replay in RT I think it will take me a while to see the advantage of RT.

So I vote WEGO! While I will definatly try out RT. Ask again in one month!

I was hooked by CM due to WEGO. It is a brilliant combination of giving you time to give proper orders to all your units and still get the exciting feel of randomness and reality.

In a game of this size there is not way that you can give detailed orders to every unit in RT. However as many of the demo players (and Steve) prefer RT I guess that there is some sort of intelligent commanding system that gives you the possibility to play commander and not bother with all the small level decisions.

If that is the case then maybe I will like RT but if it is like all other RTS games out there and strategy only comes down to micro management skills (fast responses) then I will play WEGO and play games like Company of Heroes if I like a spot of RT madness.

What I found interesting during testing (and what well may be a very interesting aspect of CMSF which is the only game that I know that is available to play in both RT and TB) is how the tactics change when playing WeGo vs when playing RT. I found (and of course your mileage may vary) that WeGo suckered me into much more micromanagement and much more advance planning, while at the same time it slowed down most of my actions. I played more carefully, opting to sit still with a group of units for a turn to check things out and make sure I'm not caught mid-turn with my pants around the ankles.

Playing RT, I found myself playing much more by gut feeling, and was surprised to get even impatient at occasion. "Alright, I watched these guys run from A to B for 30 secs, now I need some more action." My actions tended to be less coordinated overall.

All of this changed with time, however. Currently I kind of prefer RT play although mainly because I don't have much time, so a quick 30 minute QB in RT is possible while a 30 minute WeGo game might not. But I also learned some self-control while playing RT, learned to let units sit still for a bit when I was busy elsewhere and, most importantly, learned to pause more often (although at Elite RT settings you cannot pause and give orders, but you can at Veteran and n00b)...

Martin

Originally posted by massive1974:

he's made the anouncement already, check out the first thread

Yeah, I know. But I already knew "sometime during the day". I am expecting something in the line of "we are sending e-mails right now" or something of that sort.

I think if we're looking for realism, RT is closer to the thing than having endless time thinking and re-thinking where to place that darn AT gun.

The oposite is the case. No gun placement in reality without inspecting the ground, especially for defenders.

In reality no need to tell each and every group where to go, when to run, when to shoot and how to enter a building.

Quick decisions and improvisation ARE the real thing.
The chaos comes from the battle itself and the time pressure within the battle but not from the time pressure due to god's view in a RT-game. The excitement of CM is not coming from RTS-action, it comes from the tactical aspect.

Therefore i'm very sceptical about the RT-mode regarding tactical aspects because of it's completely different challenges.

I think if we're looking for realism, RT is closer to the thing than having endless time thinking and re-thinking where to place that darn AT gun. Quick decisions and improvisation ARE the real thing. Also, lack of total controll and a bit of chaos always has an air of authenticity.

That would be true for sure if CMSF was a first person shooter. For a tactical game, I am not sure. Thing is that the pace of actions, while slower, also seemed more realistic to me when playing WeGo than when playing RT. The difference became smaller over time as I began giving in less to the feeling of a clock ticking, but even today it's still there. The ability to think and re-think perhaps helps offset the fact that you as the player have to think for dozens and sometimes hundreds of individuals.

Martin