If I didn't love you I'd hate you (but I would still challenge Peng)

BFCElvis

Originally posted by Nidan1:

Rick...your only hope to preserve the barrel if corrosion protective lubricants are not working is to have the barrel re-blued inside and out.

Any idea how much that costs? I only paid about $80.00 for the whole rifle, don't want to drop more into it than it would cost to get another.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Abbott:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Nidan1:

This stuff was designed for muzzle loaders

Never had any rust, even after shooting crappy ammo or not cleaning for extended periods of time.

If that cheap ammo was that corrosive Check stuff from the can then that is one heck of a product. That cheap ammo will put rust crystals damn near the size of rice onto the piston and inside the gas cylinder. </font>

Originally posted by NG cavscout:

Rick...your only hope to preserve the barrel if corrosion protective lubricants are not working is to have the barrel re-blued inside and out.

Any idea how much that costs? I only paid about $80.00 for the whole rifle, don't want to drop more into it than it would cost to get another. </font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by NG cavscout:

Any idea how much that costs? I only paid about $80.00 for the whole rifle, don't want to drop more into it than it would cost to get another. </font>

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flammenwerfer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flammenwerfer:

I'm confused.

We know.

Michael </font>

Originally posted by Abbott: Yeah, a lot of that crap comes out of Russian built factories in Czechoslovakia. As you know it is extremely corrosive. I have always been amazed at the amount of corrosion that stuff will form on a firearm.

I sent home a bunch of fully loaded AK-47 banana magazines when I was in Vietnam. I still have most of them along with about eighty rounds of the 7.62 bullets that were in them. If you look on the rim of the bullet there is the last two digits of the date of manufacture, and another number which I am not sure of. The new bullets have a mfg. of '95 for 1995. The ones I sent home from Nam have dates marked '47, '51 the latest date being '55. So some of that ammo was nearly over 20 years old when it was sent to Vietnam, pretty cool . Also the older stuff fires much cleaner because I fired off a magazine one day just to see if it still worked 50 years after manufacture...it sure did.

[ September 05, 2007, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Nidan1 ]

As I am typing this the sound of a disk drive installing CMAK fills my ears. This may mean that turns will go out tonight, or it may not mean that at all. Whatever the outcome, it should be known that no amount of begging on Boo's part for expedited turns, or gamey usage of large caliber artillery by the self-same lapidator will influence me in the least, nor stave off my opponents' crushing defeat.

[ September 05, 2007, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: stoat ]

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

On a brighter note...my bus project is moving right along. I spent the day loosening the back cap, not quite there yet, by the end of today I should have it busted lose. Then I plan to remove the old bi-fold door then on to cutting the front cap lose. The plan is to raise the roof by next weekend.

But DO remember that in the normal course of events ... WE DON'T CARE!

Joe </font>

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

On a brighter note...my bus project is moving right along. I spent the day loosening the back cap, not quite there yet, by the end of today I should have it busted lose. Then I plan to remove the old bi-fold door then on to cutting the front cap lose. The plan is to raise the roof by next weekend.

But DO remember that in the normal course of events ... WE DON'T CARE!

Joe </font>

Originally posted by Seanachai:

...well, Joe, you should check it out.

Yeah, Joe. In fact, why don't you just roll over to Abbott's place and see if he will take you on as apprentice. Maybe he'll manage to teach you some skills that are actually useful...like how to hold a hammer ("No, Joe, you swing it towards your head. That's right, now harder.").

Michael

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

For the love of GAWD Seanachai is there no end to your efforts to make this the place for everyman?

Well, Joe, the way I figure it, if we let you hang around, our standards must not be too high. Y'know, it might not be in your best interest to be making a lot of noise about standards. Know what I mean?

Michael