For Me, If WEGO Goes, I Go

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how the WEGO is ruined crew keep coming back to the same point, I can't think about it for long enough.

Spot on. Just like the real world, you make decisions on the hop. I don't understand how making decisions on the hop in the consequence free world of computer gaming can be anything but liberating, unless you have serious control freak issues (and it sounds like a few of you have those 'issues').

The point I'm going to keep making is that the interface is slick enough to get orders out, and get them out quickly, enough that you don't run out of time.

My only complaint about RT is that you can't excercise indirect control over TACAI behaviour. It gets frustrating having to issue fire orders to distant elements to support a close assault and it is something that the TACAI should be able to handle without direct intervention each and every time, at least for spotted targets rather than area fires.

Similiarly, I don't understand why there isn't a more generic fire order for a sector, rather than a point.

Perhaps within the targeting menu you can have the option of emergency, rapid, sustained or defensive fire to give you some control over expenditure beyond target/target light and point (although i understand the volume of fire the tacai puts on depends on range and threat perception).

I should really post this somewhere more useful, although BF has said they don't want to further complicate the menus (maybe give us a hotkey for the intensity or have it default as is).

Janster,

As for my harsh tone, some ouf us took a buttload of flak from people with arguments that made no sense for me, and I guess I fell down to their level fast, and I apologize for that.
Accepted!

However the great moments that was CM was something I Hoped to continue here, but RTS is a whole diffrent ballgame, and obviously if the scale is going down from brigade battles to downright Company of Heroes scale, its clear this version of Combat Mission appeals to a whole new range of people I guess.
The scale of CM:SF and CMx1 games is identical. At least from our standpoint. CMBO was barely capable of running a battalion sized battle (each side with one battalion) and I'd say that is about true of CM:SF as well (in WeGo, obviously).

We are aware that as hardware got better people started doing things with CMx1 games that we never intended. There was no command structure over platoon in CMx1, for example. The Company and Battalion HQs were there mostly for flavor, there was no special purpose for them. That is not the same in CMx2 where a battalion is correctly simulated. Impractical for RealTime, for sure, but for people saying they don't want to play RealTime that isn't a problem.

So as we have said many times in the past, the intended scale of CMx2 is the same as CMx1. What people do beyond our design intentions is not our concern.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

"I don't know how else to say this, but I am seeing that the focus of CM:SF has been on the RT aspects. I liked CMx1 because of the WEGO. I don't like RT. I occasionally try the latest and greatest RTS games, and play for a while, but they don't have anything in them that makes the clickfest go away. So if Battlefront is looking to make the Combat Mission franchise into a RTS because there is more money there, then OK, and I won't be buying another CM game. If WEGO is staying, then bygolly fix it."

Amen.

Originally posted by average:

I like how the WEGO is ruined crew keep coming back to the same point, I can't think about it for long enough.

Spot on. Just like the real world, you make decisions on the hop. I don't understand how making decisions on the hop in the consequence free world of computer gaming can be anything but liberating, unless you have serious control freak issues (and it sounds like a few of you have those 'issues').

The point I'm going to keep making is that the interface is slick enough to get orders out, and get them out quickly, enough that you don't run out of time.

My only complaint about RT is that you can't excercise indirect control over TACAI behaviour. It gets frustrating having to issue fire orders to distant elements to support a close assault and it is something that the TACAI should be able to handle without direct intervention each and every time, at least for spotted targets rather than area fires.

Similiarly, I don't understand why there isn't a more generic fire order for a sector, rather than a point.

Perhaps within the targeting menu you can have the option of emergency, rapid, sustained or defensive fire to give you some control over expenditure beyond target/target light and point (although i understand the volume of fire the tacai puts on depends on range and threat perception).

I should really post this somewhere more useful, although BF has said they don't want to further complicate the menus (maybe give us a hotkey for the intensity or have it default as is).

What is the wargame game (abbreviated sumfink like COTA? WW2 Crete or Med theater...and I think it had a NW Europe version, too?) that is realtime? Everyone seemed to praise that game and its realtime playability. However, I think these games were Brigade or division level perhaps the comparison of these games for realtime playability is therefore invalid...anyway, enough of my rambling...

Patrocles, Conquest Of The Agean. It was the third game of 'Airborne Assault' engine (the first was published by BF). It's different tho, first cause, as you say, was more at brigade-divisional level (playing as corps co wasn't a problem due to game AI anyway), being basic units companys (in some cases, platoons). And second cause the AI is easier to program in an enviorement like that (top-view 2D with abstracted terrain features, and not 1:1 rep.).

To make soemthing similar in CMSF (as competent AI), which then would do it the utilmate playability would take huge budget, years of development and bigger team. "Unfortunatly" 3D & more detailed combat model & enviorenment makes the AI to behave more realitically exponetially difficult to program.

Only problem of RT is that sometimes gets overwhileming specially if the maps are big and your forces too. But there is Pause. I could care less about WeGo in TCP/IP, but adding pausing or soem sort of it, would be a major feature. RT + Pause (+hability to give orders) = VariableWeGO = 1000 times better than WeGo (just, you don't get replays, that's only bad thing, but I can live w/o them).

Originally posted by Prince of Eckmühl:

Devoting scarce development dollars to WEGO is a waste of resources. Continuous play is the to go. Folks that want to play turn-based games can always do so across a board or tabletop, AS I STILL DO.

PoE

So people who prefer turn based games and loved Combat Mission must now give up computer games altogether?

"Why don't you guys decide what this game should be?"

This game, as has been stated so many times, is both WEGO and RT. Those of us who loved WEGO TCP/IP would just like to see feature restored to the game, and Steve and others have informed us that that may be possible in the future after other more pressing issues are settled.

I fail to see, Xipe66, why you seem so adamently anti-TCP/IP WEGO; you have your RT game, so go play it.

how come when someone gives an opinion on this forum all that happens is they get bashed and told good riddance by a few people? By the way, wargame sales are not the greatest and if gamers decide to ridicule other war gamers then we can see the end of any quality games being produced for us. I mean, the best sellers are for the 12-25 yr old crowd. This game has faults, I purchased, I like the WEGO system in CMBB/CMBO,CMAK but still purchased this game even though I hate RTS. I sold my Theatre of War online already for someone who might like it