Please give us back the old "Hunt"

This has been mentioned before but never got an official response.

In WEGO mode, CM:SF suffers from the problem that a tank using "Hunt" stops for the entire turn if it identifies an enemy. In CMx1 it would have engaged the enemy and then continued on its way.

In my opinion, the old "Move to Contact" and "Hunt" commands worked very well and should be reimplemented as soon as possible. Just add a new "Move to Contact" command that works like hunt now, change "Hunt" so the unit carries on moving once there are no threats, and make a few notes in the patch readme file to point out that units using "Hunt" will now continue movement after engaging a target.

Could this be another example of overzealous pruning of features, like replacing the LOS and Target tool with just "Target".

Originally posted by Cpl Steiner:

Could this be another example of overzealous pruning of features, like replacing the LOS and Target tool with just "Target".

Another big peeve of mine. So much for checking LOS with non-firing units, and in the editor when placing units.

I'll go along with that as well.

Mord.

P.S. And something that really irks me...The skill level thingy. I'd much rather see Fog Of War. It's a tiny thing I know, but as stupid as it sounds, "skill" level is cheesy...sounds more arcadish than war oriented. I hope we'll see a return come WWII.

partly i like the "new" hunt. that is becouse the vehicle spotting changed, you can have a tank dont see another tank for quiet some time, so while i meight see "one" tank, there could be more. and its easier for the "more" tanks to see my tank when it starts to move again(with old hunt)after its lost sight of the spotted tank wich possibly isnt KOed also, through dust obscurement.

thats why i would opt for "both" too. give us the new and the old style.

but i guess we wont get that. the UI just supports so and so much. the fact that you can "use" more commands with the "abolute" layout than you could see in the UI is ignored it seems.

however, good suggestion

Pandur: Yeah, but you can control how much the tank advances by setting the Hunt command for a shorter distance if you want to. It's up to the player to decide how much he wants to risk by advancing his tank farther with the Hunt command. The player can control that.

But the player can't control if his tank spots another tank after only moving 10 feet, takes out the enemy tank, or misses it and loses sight of it, and then refuses to move the rest of the turn. Possibly severely throwing off the whole plan of advance for his tanks.

I agree, the Hunt command should work as it always did. The tank keeps moving until it spots a dangerous threat, like another tank, it then takes out the enemy as fast as possible, and then continues moving to the end of the Hunt command way point. Hopefully this will be fixed by BTS in the next patch. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Though I too would like the old Hunt back, I think an even better option is the removal of the current Hunt, and the addition of two toggles: Move to Contact, and Hunt. When engaged, these would augment any movement in the obvious way. For example, you'd be able to issue a Fast order that will cease when an enemy spotted (contact toggle), or an Assault order that pauses whenever an enemy is encountered (hunt toggle).

Originally posted by slug88:

Though I too would like the old Hunt back, I think an even better option is the removal of the current Hunt, and the addition of two toggles: Move to Contact, and Hunt. When engaged, these would augment any movement in the obvious way. For example, you'd be able to issue a Fast order that will cease when an enemy spotted (contact toggle), or an Assault order that pauses whenever an enemy is encountered (hunt toggle).

The problem I see with this is that spotting for enemies affects movement speed. A unit using the current "hunt" order moves slower than one using the "fast" order precisely because it is scanning for enemies.

However I think your idea of using a toggle that is not part of the normal movement commands but a modifier for them is very good and fits in with BFC's design philosophy of multiple concurrent orders.

I think your idea could be implemented as follows:

1) Keep the "Hunt" command in the "movement" orders panel.

2) Add a new toggle to the "special" orders panel called "Contact".

3) When "Contact" is toggled off, units continue moving when they come under fire or spot enemy targets. Units using "Hunt" movement orders will stop movement to engage a spotted target but will then continue moving once no more targets are visible.

4) When "Contact" is toggled on, units cease movement when they come under fire or spot enemy targets. This applies to all types of movement order, including "Hunt".

I think this would cover all the possible combat situations and would also leave the unit able to add a combat action such as a covered arc or an area target order.