New armored Hummer variant--Pope glass

The LOS ANGELES TIMES Saturday ran an article on a new field expedient armor system being used on Hummers in Ramadi, Iraq and elsewhere. Being made primarily of armored windshield panels taken from destroyed armored HummVees, it provides the gunner with a see-through (open-topped?) turret which protects his/her previously exposed head and shoulders from small arms over 360 degrees or close to it. Understand the troops call the expedient armor "Pope glass," because of similarity to protection on the famous "Pope mobile" of John Paul II. Per the article, it's already saved quite a few lives, including preventing casualties which would otherwise have occurred when a roadside bomb went off.

Anyone have any info and or pics/links on what seems to me to be a CM:SF significant development?

Regards,

John Kettler

[ April 04, 2006, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

You wanna picture? I'll give you a stinkin' picture!

...except this might be of a vehicle in the Green Zone Baghdad. Note the full Humvee accoutrements. Bull horn, smoke dischargers, beefed-up door armor... and the woman gunner!

And what's missing from the picture? Bullets for the mg!

HummerShield.jpg

[ April 04, 2006, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

MikeyD,

Thanks for that! Do you have any more? Am trying to figure out how they counterbalance that enormous sand colored mass on the side of the turret, whose design is even funkier than I imagined. Seriously, I'd love to see this thing from additional angles.

Wicky and Andrew H.,

Twisted, but funny!

oren_m,

The IDF sure has some strange looking AFVs. Has that turret been used before on a different chassis? ISTR a Centurion or somesuch. That one looks like a Zelda conversion. What's it for? Also, if possible, please supply images and descriptions of the various IDF MOUT/MOBA/FIBUA AFVs.

Regards,

John Kettler

This APC is an modified M113, the turret is brand new and does not exist on any other AFV.

This i used for urban warfare in the west bank,

it was built specialy for that purpose.

I hope you'll like the next pictures (actually i'm sure you would), it's a heavy APC based on the Merkava chassis, it is called "Namer" or Tiger, in english. Enjoy... smile.gif

27419812.jpg

84557943.jpg

89638595.jpg

76971508.jpg

45108698.jpg

46540481.jpg

21173138.jpg

oren_m,

Found this great Latrun site, but it doesn't have the vehicle I remember, though the Achzarit is in the ballpark, but doesn't have the protected tower

like the Zelda mod you posted. Thanks for the Namer; hadn't seen it before. Note the bonus H-39,

P IV/G and StuG III.

http://www.davidpride.com/Israeli_Armor/Armor_index.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

A buddy of mine, a USN SEAL, did some "grey" work in Israel and the Levant after leaving the service.

Among other things, he co-authored a 1983 study on a new troop carrier for the IDF, after M113s proved totally unsatisfactory for MOUT in Lebanon (i.e. a lot of Israeli kids were killed or maimed in the things).

They determined that there was just no substitute for MBT armor protection when it came to MOUT.

The other option on the table was the equally expensive Bradley, which the IDF declined owing to insufficient armor and troop capacity and some other 1980s teething troubles (underpowered, trouble swimming due to top heavy turret).

Even back in 1988, my friend was, and remains, convinced, that APCs in MOUT are basically death traps. A modified tank is the best way to save life and limb, and operating costs compared to the latest APCs are very similar.

It is a knowen fact that APC's are death traps in urban areas, only last year, 11 IDF soldiers got killed in two APC's that were hit by an RPG-7 rockets.

But the MBT based APC's are not new to the IDF, here are some of the heavy APC's we have:

Achzarit (Cruel)T-55 based.

achzaritb.jpg

Puma, Centurion based

puma_c.jpg

Nagmachon, Centurion based

nagmachon_28.jpg

Originally posted by oren_m:

It is a knowen fact that APC's are death traps in urban areas, only last year, 11 IDF soldiers got killed in two APC's that were hit by an RPG-7 rockets.

Yep. And if an APC is a death trap, this makes the Hummer, with whatever armor you slap on it, what exactly?

You listening out there, Donald "Go to war with the army you've got" Rumsfeld? Or is the Bradley/Hummer contract constituency in Congress more important than the lives of the troops? (Don't all answer at once now).

And if an APC is a death trap, this makes the Hummer, with whatever armor you slap on it, what exactly?

A car.

Any non- or ightly armoured vehicle is unsuitable for fighting from in a MOUT - so you treat them as transport like 1/2 tracks were in WW2 - the problem isn't the vehicle, it is that the infantry are riding around in it far too much IMO.