Rafael wins U.S. contract for new breaching grenade

akd

Rafael door buster wins US Army award

The Simon door busting rifle-launched grenade can be launched from a distance.

Amnon Barzilai 18 Sep 06 14:44

Rafael Armament Development Authority Ltd.’s Simon door busting rifle-launched grenade has won a US Army award, and was one of ten winners for development projects in 2005. US Department of Defense deputy secretary of the army gave Rafael the award.

Rafael said the award consolidated Simon’s standing as the best buster product in the global market.

The Simon can be launched from a distance. It creates a shockwave that rips doors off their hinges, giving infantrymen quick access into a building and to move between buildings without prolonged exposure in open ground.

The Simon is another buster product developed by Rafael. Other products are a wall buster, which can be fired indoors, and is used by US forces in Iraq.

Published by Globes [online], Israel business news - www.globes.co.il - on September 18, 2006

grem_050703.jpg

original article

For decades the U.S. military stiffly resisted the classic rifle grenade, exclusively preferring grenade launchers. They even declined to field rocket weapons with oversize warheads (you'll note all U.S. rocket launchers have the round fitting in the launcher tube). You've got to see some irony in the purchase of this wacky looking weapon.

Originally posted by NameUsedBefore:

I can already see the enemy reinforcing their doors so these things crinkle up on impact.

Uh. . . I think you are misunderstand how this little gizmo works.

This is all just a SWAG, but I'm pretty sure the long pole at the front is just a fuse extender; it's there to detonate the main charge (the disc-shaped part) at the proper distance. "Reinforcing" the door just makes it more likely the extender will succeed at this task.

Main charge is probably a particular type of shaped charge, designed to project as much energy as possible into a forward shock wave, hitting the door (or whatever) in front of it.

Of course, any system has its limits, and I'm sure if you reinforce a door with enough steel, or sandbags, or whatever, you could defeat this system. But I don't really think it's the purpose of this device to destroy extensively reinforced, prepared positions; that's what 105mm MGS rounds, or 120mm M1A1 rounds are for. It's designed to give grunts the capability to blow open a locked door (or even mousehole a light wall) from a distance, so you don't have to stop in front of the door, exposed and in the open in the middle of the street, and use a device like battering ram, or a breaching shotgun.

Quite ingenious, really.

Cheers,

YD

Gents,

I've seen video of this weapon in action. Unfortunately, too many of my brain cells have been lost in action. Due to my dendrites losing grip with their axons, the memory of WHERE I've seen the videos is lost to the cosmos.

I seem to remember it having a very short range, in the 10's of meters. The low 10's of meters. Okay, maybe ONLY 10 meters. Damn those beer-soaked dendrites. The trajectory had an extremely pronounced arc. Very impressive results from the hits.

Hmmm, what were we just talking about? Another beer anyone?

Cheers,

Ken

Originally posted by pad152:

It still looks like a weapon from a bad British sci-fi show!

It does british, as in a descendant of the PIAT. Perhaps they should have named it the PIAD, for Projector, Infantry, Anti-Door.

Seriously, though, I would love to see a video of it in action and have a lot more information on it. What does it do if it hits a person? What does it do if it hits the door on an APC? Does it have a minimum range? Assuming you don't already have it on your weapon, how long does it take to attach it? How close can friendlies stand to the door. What is the effect on people inside the house?