CM:SF MODs

I've been gone for awhile and hope I don't get any flak from this question. I did a search in the CM:SF thread and didn't find anything about MODs. So the question is "Can you make MODs for uniforms, equipment, and vehicles" for CM:SF?

JohnO

"4. A game that can be played by more than 2 people, with a heavy emphasis on cooperative play (CoPlay). While we can not do this feature for the first release (not practical), the game engine itself is being coded to work with many players as soon as we can code the rather difficult technological foundation to allow such play. Think of it like CMBO not having TCP/IP functionality even though the game was written to work using this protocol".

"The thought is that Modules will focus on adding new functionality to the game, but not new features. This means a Civil War release would see several Modules that didn't do much to change the core of the game system, rather add a whole bunch of other game features like terrain, units, weather, etc. Things like CoOp multiplayer or what not would most likely come out with the next game release".

"First release", is this CMSF without the modules? Or is the second release considered the ww2 stuff?

Any news on this since 2005?

[ July 05, 2007, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Suspicious_Sedan ]

"With a limited beta release a few months back, there may already be mods in the works."

Wink wink - nudge nudge ;):D

First let's make sure we're talking about traditional CM-style texture skin mods and NOT polygons or other fancy 'mod' stuff. I have it on good authority that CMSF skins may have an 'easy' component and a 'hard' component. The easy part is the game is made to accept new skins simple as pie. And the vehicle art is good-old Photoshop BMP, no esoteric format. The hard part is going to be getting enough info on the art to do any work on 'em.

I really doubt we'll get permission to crack the main data file to scrounge for default textures. But once they've got free time BFC might supply us with (keep your fingers crossed) base template art somewhat like those aircraft skin templates you can get for IL-2. So we might eventually see an Abrams template package, or a T54/55/62 template package, etc. If we piss 'em off they may instead supply only the texture names but no standing files (for example the name "m1114-additional.bmp"). And that's gonna be a world-o-hurt trying to recreate that art from scratch.

Originally posted by SGT_56M:

CMSF is a first release. Modules to come include Marines, Britan (maybe), NATO (maybe).

In computer game lingo, "mod" stands for modification, something made by others than game developers. E.g. a modification that changes the camouflage pattern of a tank.

Hi Bill,

Yes its me, John Osborne. Been busy here at CGSC. As for AATF, no. Spending time testing TacOps5. And soon playing CM:SF smile.gif

MikeyD, thats actually what I meant when asking about MODs (texture skin mods) for CM:SF. Thanks.

JohnO

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by JohnO:

I've been gone for awhile and hope I don't get any flak from this question. I did a search in the CM:SF thread and didn't find anything about MODs. So the question is "Can you make MODs for uniforms, equipment, and vehicles" for CM:SF?

JohnO

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=002020

br.

Dr.Jones

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MarkEzra:

Bil Hardenberger member 44!! Now there's a real old timer

Well ... {sniff} ... perhaps to a GREENHORN like you! I think the cutoff was around 275.

Joe </font>