Dont drink and drive... BTR-80.

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

Somwhere out there, some hapless Private is doing a whole lot of push-ups

probably more like getting drop-kicked in the chest until he gets serious internal bleeding.

One of the main reasons my mother moved from Russia to US: absolutely did NOT want me drafted into the Russian military.

unsobill,

Absolutely outstanding! Clearly shows why AFVs should never attempt to mate with softskins. Too bad Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn't a name when, while in the Austrian Army, he smashed an M47? tank into a tavern! Love to see those pictures.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ June 17, 2007, 11:45 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Actually for all the bad press soviet eqipement gets the whole BTR range are actually not bad vehicles, and the latest models with better protection, communications and the all important side doors are actually pretty good.

Peter.

Yeah. It's their jeeps I wouldn't want to be in....

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Actually for all the bad press soviet eqipement gets the whole BTR range are actually not bad vehicles, and the latest models with better protection, communications and the all important side doors are actually pretty good.

Peter.

BTR-60s our company was equipped with were horrible death traps. But yeh, BTR-80s are a huge improvement. Our brigade had one of them, mainly used to parade around to civvies..

Yeah. It's their jeeps I wouldn't want to be in....

Atleast you can get out of them and if you don't mind the gears being changed with the help of a wrench they ain't that bad.. If you don't mind the noise, discomfort and the gas guzzling.

ham_v2.0, did you by any change serve in Savon Prikaati (Finland) in the early 1990s? Because that was exactly the situation there. One BTR-80 that was reverently shown around, but in everyday situations we had to do with BTR-60's. Absolutely hated them -- especially as in previous autumn 8 or 9 conscripts drowned when one sunk in a water crossing exercise (all BTR's were banned from entering water after that).

We named them as "Bratislavassa Tehty Romu 60-luvulta" ("piece of junk made in Bratislawa in the 60s" -- my apologies to any Bratislawans and Slovakians around here) and were intensely jealous of the other brigades which had Finnish-made XA-180 and -185 (aka. Pasi).

I did my basic training at Savon Prikaati (Savo Brigade), too, before being assigned to a different NCO training unit.

When "we" jaeger infantry conscripts lamented these BTR drivers and guys, they usually just told us to wait some exercises, when we would be doing the walking, running, crawling and stuff at the earnest, they would be just doing a nice scenic driving around the countryside for a while until the piece of junk would eventually broke down, and they would get regural opportunities for breathers and maintenance sessions! ;)

Those should have had been retired after that Taipalsaari incident, really.