American infantrymen are to difficult to kill.

Originally posted by Zemke:

In real life we have far less losses and kill MORE enemy than this game. If anything, I would say the American Squads are too easy to kill by small arms fire.

This assumes that (a) engagments depicted in most CM:SF scenarios are similar in all relevant aspects (force balance, terrain, objectives, etc.), to RL engagments, and (B) that the typical CM player is as skilled a tactical commander as the typical US Company commander.

I would not make either of these assumptions.

Originally posted by YankeeDog:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zemke:

In real life we have far less losses and kill MORE enemy than this game. If anything, I would say the American Squads are too easy to kill by small arms fire.

This assumes that (a) engagments depicted in most CM:SF scenarios are similar in all relevant aspects (force balance, terrain, objectives, etc.), to RL engagments, and (B) that the typical CM player is as skilled a tactical commander as the typical US Company commander.

I would not make either of these assumptions. </font>

Originally posted by Zemke:

This is because your average fanatic who's just had his best mate or whatever killed isn't as good a tactician as a player of CMSF who can take a little time and repeat missions where they bugger up, leading to an increase in experience in the future.

Something you don't get if you take a pot shot at a squad of Marines and then have no real plan to deal with the consequences.

So if this is supposedly due exclusively to body armor modeling, may I as a Syrian player assume that full power scoped rifles and MGs will not have the problem carbine caliber AKs have? And that the problem will be range dependent, and vanish at close enough distances?

Originally posted by JasonC:

So if this is supposedly due exclusively to body armor modeling, may I as a Syrian player assume that full power scoped rifles and MGs will not have the problem carbine caliber AKs have? And that the problem will be range dependent, and vanish at close enough distances?

I believe you should see that modeled accurately in the game. IMO

On the receiving side playing as the Americans, I have seen MG's tear through body armour resulting in 9 red dots on the ground where my squad used to be, almost immediately upon dismount, if you don't dismount the Stryker with extreme caution.

aka-tom - I appreciate the anecdote, I've shot US squads successfully at close range myself, but what I was actually looking for is something about how it is actually working under the hood. Specifically, if it is armor modeling and whether that armor modeling is sensitive to range and shooting weapon type, or not. If it is just a general resilience to all types of infantry fire, I have to deal with it one way. If it is specific to carbine caliber weapons at medium range, I have to deal with it another way. I need to know what level of realism is modeled under the hood to adapt my tactics effectively. Otherwise I need to run about 4 hours worth of tests. If BTS knows and can just tell me, it will save me the trouble.

Hi Jason

My understanding is that the body armour is modeled as realistically as possible, as you would expect.

"Specifically, if it is armor modeling and whether that armor modeling is sensitive to range and shooting weapon type, or not."

If you are interested in running tests you should try to prove this is not the case, the body armour should be both sensitive to range and weapon type. However in testing it may be impossible to account for head shots or isolate the variable of a sniper shot to the unprotected facial area resulting in KIA.

You should play the game and adapt your tactics to the most realistic possible modeling of the US body armour, and see how that works. smile.gif IMO

JasonC,

I know the type of ammunition is modeled for sure. I don't know for sure, but I also expect that range has a lot to do with it too. I know accuracy and stopping power are range dependent, so it is probable that body armor effectiveness is as well. I'd have to ask Charles though.

One thing to keep in mind is the number of soldiers that go to Yellow status. That's because the soldiers are still being hit, just not necessarily in a spot that knocks them out. On the other hand, Syrian soldiers (Special Forces excluded) don't have body armor, so a hit to the torso is probably results in Red and not Yellow status. A soldier can still possibly remain effective with a significant wound to the arm or leg, very likely if the wound is mild. This is not the case with torso and head shots.

IIRC the current US stats in Iraq show that it is roughly 1 soldier killed for every 9 wounded. This is including IEDs, which of course have a much higher chance of lethality than a small arms round. In WWII the ratio was about 1:3 killed:wounded. Body armor has a LOT to do with that.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

J

IIRC the current US stats in Iraq show that it is roughly 1 soldier killed for every 9 wounded. This is including IEDs, which of course have a much higher chance of lethality than a small arms round. In WWII the ratio was about 1:3 killed:wounded. Body armor has a LOT to do with that.

Steve

That's a really interesting statistic but I am not sure the game as it is now is modeling one red dot (KIA) for every 9 yellow dots (WIA).

But to be fair I have never tested it.

My feeling before I read this thread was the US body armour was not effective enough and that there are not enough yellow dots showing up, and for the US with body armour when I play see too many red dots. (But I don't think I can really complain, because I might point the finger at my reckless command style and poor judgement first, because I seem to be able to get all kinds of my troops killed every time I dismount them out of the back of the Styker. I really thought I would see more yellow dots for the US troops in Body armour but the HMG's must be account for the large number of instant red dots I see when I dismount.)