Stop Attacking Battlefront

Originally posted by Adam1:

"God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things which should be changed and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other."

Reinhold Niebuhr

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference"

Big Book of AA smile.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to correct an out and out falsehood repeated here by a few.

Steve NEVER said CMSF was finished, what he said that after 1.04, patches won't be the priority, but the next module will be. He also CLEARLY stated that a 1.05 is being planned.

In easier terms, it means Charle's time instead of being 100% on patches, will be divided between patches and the module.

Quit the bull**** that Steve said it was finished.

Rune

Diagnostic Criteria For Asperger's Syndrome:

Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:

1. encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus

2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals

3. stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)

4. persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

'Because of their high degree of functionality and their naiveté, those with AS are often viewed as eccentric or odd. Individuals with AS often have deficits in pragmatics and prosody. Vocabularies may be extraordinarily rich and some children sound like "little professors." However, persons with AS can be extremely literal and have difficulty using language in a social context.

Technically speaking, I don't think any game in history has ever been "finished" if the definition used means "everything that could be added, fixed, or tweaked was added, fixed, or tweaked". There are issues with every game ever released. The is a constant. What isn't a constant is the degree of things that weren't "finished". Some games were abandoned with major problems that affected gameplay, stability, or what have you. Other games had a few loose ends that weren't tied up because they simply weren't worth tying up from the developer's standpoint.

I think a definition of "finished", as I defined it above, is quite useless. Instead, I would say that a game is "finished" when the issues that remain with it are quibbles to the vast majority of gamers. By that definition CMBO, CMBB, CMAK are all "finished" products and CM:SF currently is not. Which is why we're still patching CM:SF :D

Steve

Keep the thread alive, becoming a classic fast haha.

Lurker,

The logical steeps would be: updates on the engine are patched into the former game, be these either improvements of existing features, fixes or new additions. Addons are just extensions of content: new units, scenarios, campaings or whatever.

When we move to next iterance of the engine (WWII West ETO game), updating of CMSF it's stopped, and the same process is repeated again (core game, then addons, and all the changes to the engine are available via patches to the core game).

Logic is nto followed a lot of times, specially be greedy companies. We have seen a shift in the industry towards this. BUT in current BF situation (BAD realease) it would be suicidal to go for the money and just add improvements to the addons. That would certainly get on my nerves and I would stop supporting them (ie. buying their games, or buying directly and instead buyin em at Play.com for €8 :D ).

So... it's all up to them. Other thing is they feel the game is finished enough as it is (1.04) and stop improving the game, and I'm not speaking about bugs, but game features. I wouldn't blame them, but having to wait for WWII to see the game engine improve would be disgusting.

READ:

Originally posted by rune:

Steve NEVER said CMSF was finished, what he said that after 1.04, patches won't be the priority, but the next module will be. He also CLEARLY stated that a 1.05 is being planned.

In easier terms, it means Charle's time instead of being 100% on patches, will be divided between patches and the module.

Rune

Originally posted by Joe Shaw:

Nonsense Kerry, the AI is virtually nonexistent and the pathing is ludicrous.

At least BFC has provided some patches.

Joe

You're right, those damned little horses still make that lurch to the side before turning back again, just like CMSF.

(PS - Chess actually has been updated, or changed via patch over the years, but the last change was hundreds of years ago).

Originally posted by VonWebb:

READ:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rune:

Rune

</font>

Originally posted by KNac:

Keep the thread alive, becoming a classic fast haha.

Lurker,

The logical steeps would be: updates on the engine are patched into the former game, be these either improvements of existing features, fixes or new additions. Addons are just extensions of content: new units, scenarios, campaings or whatever.

When we move to next iterance of the engine (WWII West ETO game), updating of CMSF it's stopped, and the same process is repeated again (core game, then addons, and all the changes to the engine are available via patches to the core game).

Logic is nto followed a lot of times, specially be greedy companies. We have seen a shift in the industry towards this. BUT in current BF situation (BAD realease) it would be suicidal to go for the money and just add improvements to the addons. That would certainly get on my nerves and I would stop supporting them (ie. buying their games, or buying directly and instead buyin em at Play.com for €8 :D ).

So... it's all up to them. Other thing is they feel the game is finished enough as it is (1.04) and stop improving the game, and I'm not speaking about bugs, but game features. I wouldn't blame them, but having to wait for WWII to see the game engine improve would be disgusting.

I'd just like to hear the plan from someone official rather than speculation on how the master plan will come together.

Philip,

Again, false logic. Who said patches do NOT continue after 1.05? No one here said that, what was said is not 100% of Charles' time goes towards patches, some time has to go to generate the new module. Bug fixes or game enhancements will be patched back into CMSF, but things like units, TO&e, will not for obvious reasons.

Again no one at battlefront said 1.04 or 1.05 is the final patch, quit saying that.

Rune

Originally posted by rune:

Philip,

Again, false logic. Who said patches do NOT continue after 1.05? No one here said that, what was said is not 100% of Charles' time goes towards patches, some time has to go to generate the new module. Bug fixes or game enhancements will be patched back into CMSF, but things like units, TO&e, will not for obvious reasons.

Again no one at battlefront said 1.04 or 1.05 is the final patch, quit saying that.

Rune

Well, that's some good news. Maybe some kind of official announcement should be made or something?

The quote from Steve (about as official as it gets) is what got me worried about this.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We're just about "done" with patching CM:SF. What I mean by that is our focus will shift to making the Marines Module and the WWII version (we are doing both concurrently, which is also part of the CMx2 plan). Now, that doesn't mean that we won't be releasing any patches after v1.04, it just means that we'll start focusing our attention on things other than the patch. v1.04 should pretty much do the trick, however we think a v1.05 in the near future is likely.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While Rune could easily be correct, I do not read that as a guarantee that v1.05 will be released. I definitely do not see that statement as "CLEARLY stated that a v1.05 is being planned".

I just don't know exactly what the master plan is for patching/enhancing CMSF. It would be nice to have confirmation that ongoing work in CM2 Marines gets "patched" into CMSF. If I love CMSF but I am not particularly interested in the Marines module do I get the latest code as time goes by? Will it be months before the next patch once work goes primarily into the Marines module?