WWII: grid overlay?

I'd have thought that gridded terrain mods have been so popular in CMx1 that it should be included in CMSF as a togglable option, at least.

Is there anyone who doesn't play CMx1 with gridded terrain?

(Come to think of it, who was the genius who first modded that? (And why Haven't I sent him cash)).

Originally posted by Paul AU:

I'd have thought that gridded terrain mods have been so popular in CMx1 that it should be included in CMSF as a togglable option, at least.

(Come to think of it, who was the genius who first modded that? (And why Haven't I sent him cash)).

I don't but I usually don't use mods.

The only practical way to do a toggle grid option is to have it be dynamically drawn, which unfortunately isn't kind to the framerate. Hotswapping the graphics is something Charles doesn't think is practical, but we're keeping it in mind as we move forward.

Based on screenshots posted by people, and past use of CMx1 mods, I think relatively few people use the grid mod. Why? Distracts from the immersion. I know I've never used grid mods in any CM game for that reason. Although it does help clarify topography it certainly isn't a requirement to play the game well.

Steve

Originally posted by Paul AU:

I used a ton of CMx1 mods, but never gridded terrain. It's ugly and wasn't something that added to the game for me smile.gif

I certainly tried all the grid mods for all the CMx1 games. IMO think they're overrated. IIRC most of my opponents(in the hundreds probably) didn't like them either. Besides the lost in immersion, you can still see undulations in the terrain without the mod, although sometimes a zoom-in is needed. The brighter the terrain the higher the elevation and the darker the lower.

I have modded CMBB/CMAK to the hilt (and hope to with CMSF as soon as I see a new interface mod - I do hate those neon green weapon icons) but I have never used the grid.

I find it takes away my immmersion in the game and I could never see a useful way to use it. Maybe that is why I lose more games than I win (either that or I am terrible at CM). Most soldiers in WWII probably just used the Mark I eyeball anyway.

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

I certainly tried all the grid mods for all the CMx1 games. IMO think they're overrated. IIRC most of my opponents(in the hundreds probably) didn't like them either. Besides the lost in immersion, you can still see undulations in the terrain without the mod, although sometimes a zoom-in is needed.

There is no way to find the best tactical routes without gridded terrain. High contrast mods give not that much information at a glance.

Originally posted by Combatintman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Steiner14:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Combatintman:

Still don't understand it though.

To play WWII tank battles successfully, you will need to see the terrain.

@Other Means,

better than nothing. </font>

Based on screenshots posted by people, and past use of CMx1 mods, I think relatively few people use the grid mod. Why? Distracts from the immersion. I know I've never used grid mods in any CM game for that reason. Although it does help clarify topography it certainly isn't a requirement to play the game well.

Steve

It's good to hear you've not ruled it out yet. smile.gif

But your conclusion is not correct imo. You stated yourself several times you were not the best CMx1 player.

I would rate myself a very good player. I've played ladder with a winning streak of 75% and i played mostly people far higher in the ladder.

I've lost not a single battle as defender since CMBO days.

And my experience is, that all good players, used gridded mods. You need them to see possible shooting corridors and possible approach routes that are worth inspecting.

CMx2 aims even more at realism than CMx1. IMO it would lack something, if PzIV turret heights being finally modelled for hull down position firefights, but that they can not be planned by the necessary tool for that: the grid overlay.

To keep the optical immersion high, it would be perfect, if it would be switchable, but imo it would be not so good, if the game which claims to be the most realistic tactical simulation, does not offer such a tool because of eye candy considerations.

[ June 12, 2008, 04:09 AM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]