WWII: grid overlay?

Originally posted by Combatintman:

Steiner 14 - I can see it well enough.

That's fine for you, if you are satisfied with so less information, but it's a fact, that a scalar does not contain as much information as a vector or even a matrix.

Imagine there are two undulations. A smaller one which is closer and a larger one, which is bigger and farer in the distance.

If you look from a certain direction, it is possible, that the color of the top of the first undulation is equal to the color of the hill behind it. With a grid, you see the changing gradients, see clearly the top of the first hill and you also see a distance effect. MUCH more information.

Claims that CM:AK desert scenarios can be played without a grid mod amaze me.

I missed the game-deciding Wadi in the center of the demo map for almost the entire length of this scenario. Something like this should not be possible in a 3D game.

Best regards,

Thomm

So have they gotten around to painting grid lines over Germany yet? Since it is impossible to fight without them I don't see how they let it go for so long.

If you want a gridded mod then find or make one but the fact that you want one does not make it a requirement for a realistic tactical simulation. I played with some of the most realistic tactical simulations in the world in the Army and none of them had grids. And sometimes even real terrain was kind of hard to read, so we had to actually go look at what we could see. Personal preference does not make something a necessity.

Ooops, sorry for upsetting you!

1) Planning on level 1 consistently required more time in CM:AK than I was willing to spend.

2) Germany is not the desert.

3) There are no hovering icons, colored bases, or gigantic tanks in Germany, either.

4) CM:AK certainly does not have the "most realistic" terrain rendering in the world. Perhaps this is the difference to Army simulations.

5) For me it was a necessity to a degree that I did not buy CM:AK from BFC out of silent protest. That is one customer lost to lack of terrain shading. I picked it up from a bargain bin much later, played not even one third of the scenarios before the tedium of WeGo made me stop.

6) Can you read the terrain in this screenshot?

49.jpg

I cannot make my point much clearer than that. Obviously, we shall still disagree. Fortunately, the problem is not as pronounced in CMx2 due to the shaded terrain, so we can move on.

Best regards,

Thomm

Originally posted by Steiner14:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by MeatEtr:

I certainly tried all the grid mods for all the CMx1 games. IMO think they're overrated. IIRC most of my opponents(in the hundreds probably) didn't like them either. Besides the lost in immersion, you can still see undulations in the terrain without the mod, although sometimes a zoom-in is needed.

There is no way to find the best tactical routes without gridded terrain. High contrast mods give not that much information at a glance. </font>