Amphibious assault – MAJOR ISSUE

Guest Mike

Actually what the rest of the word did was most of the dying in the "war against communism" - without the rest of the world doing America's fighting America would have lost.

but then without America (money., political leadership, technology) that war would certainly have been lost, so it's a 2-way street and trying to pump up part of it at hte expense of the rest is pretty stupid.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty apparent, SO,

Communism would have died

ALL BY ITSELF. ;)

Nobody can live like that, didn't you know? LOL!

If there is any credit due, for the demise,

Should mostly go to... Lech Walensa and Gorbachev.

You can't rule the world with hi-tech weapons,

You never could.

Never will.

It's all about... "the little guy"

Getting his due.

His labor worth something.

Not living off of it

By playing games on Wall Street,

His very "sweat" I mean.

Enough to eat,

Decent health care,

Air you can breathe without a mask,

Water you don't have to boil first,

Roof over yer head.

WHOEVER does that, succeeds,

As a group.

Needn't be a Nation,

Nor... a Government.

Need only be... common cause. :cool:

Guest Mike
It's all about... "the little guy"

Getting his due.

His labor worth something.

Not living off of it

By playing games on Wall Street,

His very "sweat" I mean.

Enough to eat,

Decent health care,

Air you can breathe without a mask,

Water you don't have to boil first,

Roof over yer head.

Never figured you for a Cuban!! ;)

Never figured you for a Cuban!! ;)
Like that there Bruce Springsteen sings it out,

How he wails the rip-bop and flip top blues,

"Born in the USA" babe,

Born in the US of A.

Volunteered US ARMY 19 and 66.

Did my thing.

No regrets.

So,

Consequently,

I say what I please,

Don't need no - Mass (re)Education,

Don't need no - Thought Control,

Don't need no - sly Patronization,

All I needs, babe - a heart and a soul.

LOL! smile.gif

We made a promise, swore we'd always remember, no retreat, No Surrender. Are we talkin' bout? Glory Days? Because I'm just Dancing In the Dark here in Darlington County, but I miss, My Hometown...and if we play SC, you're Going Down...I'm On Fire!

We made a promise, swore we'd always remember, no retreat, No Surrender. Are we talkin' bout? Glory Days? Because I'm just Dancing In the Dark here in Darlington County, but I miss, My Hometown...and if we play SC, you're Going Down...I'm On Fire!
You can rip rap

With the best of 'em jjr,

I gotta giv ya that. :cool:

(... now, if you'd only give over the lunatic "talking points," and actually go about the terrible hard work of creation, well, I'll read the Idaho book, I'll even PAY for it, LOL!)

Good post, interesting ideas.

One point most often overlooked;

1. The English Channel is not that wide (ranging from 21 miles to 150 miles wide), heck, you can swim across it, cross it in an innertube, and a tunnel was built under it.

Second,

2. Cut the range down too low and the Allies will find it hard to reinforce an invasion of France and it will be hard for the USA to reinforce the UK in the event of a Sea Lion if the Germans bomb the British ports.

Third,

3. Historically, the importance of air supremacy applied to the planned Sealion invasion and the actual Operation Overlord. Automatic air intercepts of unloading amphibious transports by Air Fleets, Bombers, AND Carriers would reflect the importance of air supremacy.

Originally posted by Desert Dave:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Come back thru the airport, bunch of maggots calling them baby killers & all kinds of vile crap.

Never heard tell of it,

Don't know of anybody who did.

Spitting on soldiers neither, LOL!

What a spurious crock of sh*t.

Do believe this falls under category of:

Urban Myth.

</font>

Unfortunately, it isn't.

Hell, my uncle's screwy wife refused to talk to my father for years. Like he wanted to go or somfink.

Sure it is Lars.

"Not talking to someone"

Is hardly the same as "spitting on"

Or calling those of us who went,

"Baby Killers."

Big difference,

And I personally have NEVER seen ANY proof

Of it.

Nowhere.

Unless, as I say, it was done

By Government Agents

Acting as provacateurs,

As they are doing NOW

As we speak.

Maybe you have proofs, and if so,

Let's see it.

Well,

That unecessary war, same as this one,

Won't be solved here.

Fat-jowled old men

Who are also, and often war-profiteers,

Who mostly (... see my other post

RE: who served and who did not)

Haven't put their OWN life on the line,

Are the instigators

Of these UNDECLARED wars.

[... re-read yer Thomas Aquinas

on... "justified war]

If your uncle's wife was opposed to that debacle,

Then,

I'd say... she wasn't screwy,

But doing her patriotic duty. ;)

Homecoming: When the Soldiers Returned from Vietnam

"Were you ever spat upon when you returned home to the United States?" asked syndicated columnist Greene of the Vietnam veterans among his readership. He received over 1000 letters in reply, many recounting specific details of just such a painfully remembered incident. Evidently this recollection of "hippies" (as they are often called in the letters) spitting on combat veterans has become one of the war's most unpleasant, enduring images. Conversely, other letters describe acts of generosity toward servicemen, from the typical free beers at the bar to a free show. But the over 200 letters excerpted here do more than confirm popular notions. They bring back the incidents of 20 years ago vividly, but not always with bitterness. And they reveal healing solidarity among veterans in response to what for many was not a happy homecoming.
Don't bother dredging up the Slate article. Already seen it.

And I'm sure a lot of spit flew the other way too. ;)

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

ep - just like the Carthaginians had teh Romans arses whipped after Trebia, Trasimenne and Cannae...... :eek: :eek:

Yeah, well I'm still standing here in 'Carthage' 30 years later sword in hand. And I don't see Rome crossing the ocean to burn my nation to the ground.

:D

We didn't defeat the N Vietnamese, but they sure as hell didn't defeat us. The people that lost the war were the S Vietnamese. Not us. Sucks to be them. 1,500,000 died fleeing the country or in prison camps.

No stamina - can't stand the long haul! :rolleyes:

Fatigue makes cowards of us all brother. Especially when it wasn't our fight in the first place.

It's kinda axiomatic that you can win a war if you just don't give in for long enough - the Romans weer really good at it - they'd suffer defeat after defeat after defeat against some enemies such as Gauls, Germans and Carthaginians - they just didn't know when to give up, and they eventually won......for a thousand years or so at least!

Thus the phrase Pyrrhic victory. Named for the King who eventually bankrupted his civilization 'winning' wars against Rome which just kept cranking out new legions like a factory.

Originally posted by Lars:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Desert Dave:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Come back thru the airport, bunch of maggots calling them baby killers & all kinds of vile crap.

Never heard tell of it,

Don't know of anybody who did.

Spitting on soldiers neither, LOL!

What a spurious crock of sh*t.

Do believe this falls under category of:

Urban Myth.

</font>

Eeh. This thread is getting side-tracked big time. Let's get back to amphibious invasions and leave the Stars & Stripes debates for another time and place. Rambo included, please.

Let's not drown the on-topic suggestions with a flood of totally unrelated posts, okay?

Blashy or anyone, could the beta team test reducing the amphib. range to 3-5 and see how it effects the game? (Yes, I know I can do it with the editor, and I will, but if you deem it a good solution then it can be included in a patch.)

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

No stamina - can't stand the long haul! :rolleyes:

It's kinda axiomatic that you can win a war if you just don't give in for long enough - the Romans weer really good at it - they'd suffer defeat after defeat after defeat against some enemies such as Gauls, Germans and Carthaginians - they just didn't know when to give up, and they eventually won......for a thousand years or so at least! [/QB]

To be honest that is how we won the Revolutionary war, we lost most of the battles we just hung in there until it became clear to the Brits that we weren't going to just roll over and at the time America was not making the Empire much money so it wasn't worth it to them to continue.

Also that is basicly how the Russians beat the Germans, It didn't matter that the Germans were causing 20 casuilties for every one of their's when the Russians had 100 men to every German (Yea I know those numbers arn't anywhere near acurate but close enough for the subject)

EDIT ADDED:

Well I think the subject has been hashed out in very fine detail and for the most part with very little flames, I applaud the SC comuinty for this. Now I think we just have to sit back and wait to see what they do in the patch smile.gif

[ May 09, 2006, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Rolend ]

Keep it simple....its just a matter of scale.

Do your children need a guardian?

Does your house need a watch dog/security system?

Does your town need a Police force?

Does your county/state need an enforcement agency?

Does your country need a military?

Is there anything worth fighting for?

Declared or not...doesn't matter, if evil exists it must be reigned in, constantly.

So who's going to do it? Who get's dirty? Who faces the heat and cooks the dinner?

Its always been someone, not always the consensus either.

The present policeman goes back a couple hundred years(guess who's the deputy), check out "The Savage Wars of Peace" to get a glimpse, not the whole story, but a little orientation. Max Boot...the author

I would suggest to think about some kind of amphib tech to buy. While at level 1, you can only transport a certain number of cashvalue (100 or 200 max.), per turn, maybe just enought to conduct "Weseruebung".

To achieve lv 2, pay a certain amount of credits, while only one update should be allowed per year. And make each update expensive enough, to slow the axis interest in gaining this tech. let germany start with level 0, and the us with a lvl. high enough for conducting Torch.

could be something like

amphib transport capacity per turn

lvl 0 = 100 credits

(=1 corps or several damaged units etc.)

lvl 1 = 200 credits

lvl 2 = 400 credits

lvl 3 = 800 credits

lvl 4 = 1000 credits

lvl 5 = 2000 credits

update

0 -> 1 = 350 credits

1 -> 2 = 500 credits

2 -> 3 = 750 credits

3 -> 4 = 1000 credits

4 -> 5 = 350 credits

(just as an example to have some numbers, and last update cheap enough that the us-player can afford it if he really wants to).

Starting 1939

germany lvl 0

italy lvl 1

uk lvl 1

us lvl 0

ussr lvl 0

axis minor: lvl 0

allied minor lvl 1

and than maybe 4 already paid upgrades for the us (bringing them automatic to lvl 4 in 1943)

and one paid upgrade for the uk (lvl 2 in 1940)

A similar solution (with of course completly different numbers!) worked quite good in SSI's "Storm accross Europe", if someone else remembers this jewel.

That's rather complicated to be quickly patched in. Not saying that it would be a bad suggestion as such, but I don't see why the amphib tech - if implemented - should be any different from other techs (as in why purchased instead of researched?).

I also don't see the cost of the amphibs as a major problem, and though I wouldn't mind a tech for them, I don't think it is urgently needed. Reducing the amphibian range will make Sea Lion et al that much more difficult to pull of even without increasing the risk MPP wise.

Researching amphib, well, i think there is not so much to research. Build a fleet strong enough to protect your amphib transports which you just have to build first. A little bit training how to organize supply (mulberry) and of course a LITTLE bit construction reasearch in the shipyard.

After all, amphibs are not THAT much hightech compared to rockets, jets, heavy tanks, etc.

Anyway, i justed wanted to remember everyone to SSI's Storm.

smile.gif

storm-o.jpg

[ May 09, 2006, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: xwormwood ]

Originally posted by Exel:

Blashy or anyone, could the beta team test reducing the amphib. range to 3-5 and see how it effects the game?

In another post, HC said he was testing changing the movement of amphibious transports.

I expect that if he does this (for the patch) some will complain that the range is too short.