Strategic Command 2 Blitzkrieg: FAQ

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to admit the hardcore wargamer in me was disappointed at the prospect of squares vs. hexes. Since then, I have aquired Civ III, and I have to say that it does work quite well. The way I see it now is that it will be just another thing to adapt to, like any other interface/control function.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Tiles or Hexes really are the same, stretch a Hexagon back to a straight square box? The Hexagons in SC have 6 sides do the ones in SC2 have similar amount of sides or adjacent tiles? If so it's just Cosmetic and not functional. Size of Map also counts, and "Unit Types"...which now changes the dynamics of Hexs and Tiles altogether. Can't wait to see the demo tongue.gif

Lol.. Liam! smile.gif

Originally posted by Liam:

Tiles or Hexes really are the same, stretch a Hexagon back to a straight square box? The Hexagons in SC have 6 sides do the ones in SC2 have similar amount of sides or adjacent tiles? If so it's just Cosmetic and not functional. [...]

worms.jpg

Haha... good one Liam! ;)

--AOM

as another option, if you prefer the look of the 3-D units over the 2-D block icons you could simply swap the names of the unit bitmap files.

To do this, navigate to your installation folder, typically this is usually something like:

%root%\Program Files\Battlefront\Strategic Command 2 Demo

From here open up the Bitmaps folder and find the following files:

unit_silhouettes_sprites_3d.bmp

unit_silhouettes_sprites_military.bmp

unit_sprites_3d.bmp

unit_sprites_military.bmp

Essentially all you have to do is swap the names for these files, i.e. all the files that end with _3d should end with _military and all the files that end with _military should end with _3d. You might need to use a temporary location to rename these files and then place them back into the 'Bitmaps' folder.

Now if you select to play with the non 3-D unit icons the game should play with 3-D looking units in place of the block style icons but with no mirroring.

Hopefully this helps,

Hubert

Putting this in here so I can find it later.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

'Hubert Cater' 'may' or 'may-not' experiment with 'Hexes & Nato Unit Symbols',...or at least offer it as an alternative to the 3D-Graphic Images...as well as the Square Grid Pattern in an upcoming 'SC3?'[Which I Dearly Hope For!]_At least for now,...you can elect to select the Nato Unit Symbols_BUT-NOT the HEXE'S!...at this point in time.

At any rate,...from my perspective, he's been hitting a 100% on his intuitive judgements,...so i personally will not be twisted out of shape over his effort's!.

• 4 weeks later...

OK, after some difficulty I got the game installed and working on an old computer but having trouble making in work on my newer machine which has Vista.

It starts ok, pick a scenario and side and then while loading up I get an error, "DirectX failed dderr surfacelost" Above that it says "draw sprite on map surface".

So I went and downloaded the latest Direct X and still no luck... any ideas? Otherwise I guess I wont be retiring the older machine, and play it on that... BvB

• 5 weeks later...