will the full version be more fun?

2 problems with the demo:

a. both scenarios are boring.

the first scenario, you drive tanks forward killing the helpless and hapless. same for the second.

b. it's much harder to tell what is happening.

i guess the mortar explosions were eliminated and the tracers hidden for a reason, but i dont think it was for the sake of realism. i am pretty sure soldiers on the battlefield understood when they were being shot at, but this is no longer the case in the game without careful scrutiny.

unfortunate, as CM has lost much of its visceral appeal.

Cool! And let me tell you, it was hard to do too. One year ago we thought we were done with development, but we said "crap, it is still really fun and playable. Let's spend another year making sure it sucks". Looks like we succeeded, so I hope you preorder and make it worth our while smile.gif

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />unfortunate, as CM has lost much of its visceral appeal.

Cool! And let me tell you, it was hard to do too. One year ago we thought we were done with development, but we said "crap, it is still really fun and playable. Let's spend another year making sure it sucks".

Steve</font>

"Battlefront.com

Administrator

Member # 42

posted September 08, 2002 06:04 PM

quote:

Cool! And let me tell you, it was hard to do too. One year ago we thought we were done with

development, but we said "crap, it is still really fun and playable. Let's spend another year making sure

it sucks". Looks like we succeeded, so I hope you preorder and make it worth our while

Steve "

OK that WAS funny!! smile.gif

Its a good thing Steve as not lost his sense of humour!

smile.gif

ROTFL

-tom w

Originally posted by yapma:

SYLLABICATION: vis·cer·al

ADJECTIVE: 1. Relating to, situated in, or affecting the viscera. 2. Perceived in or as if in the viscera; profound: “The scientific approach to life is not really appropriate to states of visceral anguish” (Anthony Burgess). 3. Instinctive: visceral needs. See synonyms at instinctive.

OTHER FORMS: viscer·al·ly —ADVERB

SYLLABICATION: vis·cer·a

PLURAL NOUN: 1. The soft internal organs of the body, especially those contained within the abdominal and thoracic cavities. 2. The intestines.

ETYMOLOGY: Latin vscera, pl. of vscus.

I'm shocked BFC would deal in this kind of thing to begin with! Cancel my preorder!

(Just kidding Matt)

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />unfortunate, as CM has lost much of its visceral appeal.

Cool! And let me tell you, it was hard to do too. One year ago we thought we were done with development, but we said "crap, it is still really fun and playable. Let's spend another year making sure it sucks". Looks like we succeeded, so I hope you preorder and make it worth our while smile.gif

Steve</font>

Originally posted by Andreas:

I would also like to add that I still have Beta version 1 on my HDD. Which was perfect, and not at all what you see now.

So what are you saying Andreas? That it rocked at beta version 1, but they got it to suck just right before sending it into reproduction? tongue.gif

[ September 08, 2002, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Andreas:

I would also like to add that I still have Beta version 1 on my HDD. Which was perfect, and not at all what you see now.

So what are you saying Andreas? That it rocked at beta version 1, but they got it to suck just right before sending it into reproduction? tongue.gif </font>

Originally posted by howardb:

There will be more scenarios in the full version too... and more units I think.

Nope. Where did you get that idea from? All you get in the full version are the demo scenarios, but on CD. Dolt.

Oh, you get a manual as well, but it's plagued with typos and only discusses features that were cut from the final build.

There's also an editor, but you can only use it to create boring scenarios. Charles has spent two years writing a utility that scans scenario for interesting bits and then deletes them.

Now stop spreading malicious rumours. You'll only upset people.

Originally posted by howardb:

There will be more scenarios in the full version too... and more units I think.

Nope, that's it. Just two scenarios and the tutorial. And I heard that Dan had the models done for a ton more units but Steve made him take them out..... :rolleyes:

BTW, does this qualify as one of those posts that lasck "civility"?

[ September 08, 2002, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: THumpre ]

Originally posted by Brian Rock:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by howardb:

[qb]There will be more scenarios in the full version too... and more units I think.

There's also an editor, but you can only use it to create boring scenarios.</font>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

Cool! And let me tell you, it was hard to do too. One year ago we thought we were done with development, but we said "crap, it is still really fun and playable. Let's spend another year making sure it sucks". Looks like we succeeded, so I hope you preorder and make it worth our while

Steve </font>

Actually, I have to agree. The two scenarios put

forth were rather boring.

At Zitadelle, the germans are gods rumbling

across the steppes at Kursk.

Meanwhile, in the other, they're a small company

against a russian juggernaut.

In both demo scenarios, it's easy to tell who wins:

the side that started with more tanks.

BFC should have given us at least ONE balanced

scenario, more towards proper manuevering than

sheer weight of numbers on one side.